Thinking about a Cunard Transatlantic Crossing

Kansas Jayhawk Cruiser

Hello fellow Cruise Critic posters....

I am considering a transatlantic cruise on Cunard next summer and I would really appreciate any feedback from those who have been on this line..

My wife and I are in my late 40s. We have cruised on HAL, Celebrity, and Disney. We almost always go with my father-in-law, who is still very very spry in his mid-80s. He LOVES cruising, and in fact is the one who got my wife and I interested in it. He and I are history buffs and also confirmed anglophiles - I studied in the UK in 1989-90 and he has visited several times, as has my wife.

I would love to visit the UK with my wife and my father-in-law, but he is not excited about the long flights. I have quite a few FF miles. About 200K in VA, 300K in AA, and 200K in BA, so I could get him Business or First, but he is still pretty concerned that it would be too difficult a flight.

When I noticed that Cunard does summer transatlantic, I thought why not do a cruise from NYC over to London, spend a few days there, then fly back to the US. That way he would only have one trans-Atlantic flight, and I could get him for sure a nice seat on VA.

So I am curious what others think? Is this a good plan? And how is Cunard compared to HAL and Celebrity? We love both those lines.

What about the flights? I haven't flown trans-Atlantic in years.

Thanks in advance....

Bryan

Hello fellow Cruise Critic posters....

I am considering a transatlantic cruise on Cunard next summer and I would really appreciate any feedback from those who have been on this line..

My wife and I are in my late 40s. We have cruised on HAL, Celebrity, and Disney. We almost always go with my father-in-law, who is still very very spry in his mid-80s. He LOVES cruising, and in fact is the one who got my wife and I interested in it. He and I are history buffs and also confirmed anglophiles - I studied in the UK in 1989-90 and he has visited several times, as has my wife.

I would love to visit the UK with my wife and my father-in-law, but he is not excited about the long flights. I have quite a few FF miles. About 200K in VA, 300K in AA, and 200K in BA, so I could get him Business or First, but he is still pretty concerned that it would be too difficult a flight.

When I noticed that Cunard does summer transatlantic, I thought why not do a cruise from NYC over to London, spend a few days there, then fly back to the US. That way he would only have one trans-Atlantic flight, and I could get him for sure a nice seat on VA.

So I am curious what others think? Is this a good plan? And how is Cunard compared to HAL and Celebrity? We love both those lines.

Thanks in advance....

Bryan

Don't think, book it. It is a marvellous idea. Sail over and tour Britain, then get on and sail back. Glorious!

Thanks in advance....

Bryan

I'd actually recommend doing the opposite of your plan, if possible. Fly from NYC to London, spend your time there, then sail westbound back to NYC from Southampton. I did this just this past summer with my elderly mother & it worked out wonderfully! We got the tiring flight over with at the start of our trip, then gained an extra hour for 5 of the 7 days on the crossing back home. She loved every minute of it and we came home very well rested.

Enjoy,

KK

Don't hesitate! And, as the good captain and BlueRiband suggest, do consider sailing both ways. We've done this twice and haven't regretted a moment of it. You could indeed spend four days in London and return, or (if time and money permit) you could have a more leisurely English holiday and truly indulge your Anglophilia; e.g., depart New York on July 6th, arrive in Southampton July 13th, sail back on the 21st, and greet the New York skyline on the 28th.

QM2 is a magnificent ship. I'm sure that you and your family will have a wonderful crossing.

If time and finance mean 'one flight, one sailing' I agree with the proposal to fly to the UK and sail back.

If there is any concern about flying, then get that out of the way first... that way the trip will not be overshadowed by any sense of dread.

The added benefit of westbound is that many days are an hour longer - which I think is easier to adapt to - rather than eastbound where days are an hour shorter.

Consider an inside stateroom if that makes sailing both ways an option.

I've only flown transatlantic in economy so cannot comment on travelling in a higher class - but I have had no issues with either BA or Virgin - its been quite comfy, with good service (and I have comfort issues with my back).

Enjoy!

Hi fellow Jayhawk,

I have to agree with Toffeegirl68 about the option of flying over and returning on the QM2. In addition to the 25 hour days on the ship WB, you may be able to schedule your EB flight so that you leave Kansas City MCI in the late afternoon or evening and arrive in London Heathrow airport early in the morning. Assuming you are able to sleep on a plane, that could give you an extra day to explore London.

My wife and I did it this way on our first trip to the UK and have never regretted it. We have our reservations to go back to England in May, but this time we will be going both ways on the QM2. IMO, It is the ONLY way to cross the North Atlantic.

Bob (just a little south of you in Stanley)

I would do it the other direction, sail from NYC and fly home, that way you have no jet lag at the beginning of your time in the UK and you can really get to see things on day 1. If flying over and your Father in Law will have to really spend time recovering from the flight so day 1 is a lost day, and part of day 2 as well.

Just things to think about! :D

We sailed on QM2 to New York, stayed a few days then got the train to Boston where we stayed for three nights and flew home with Virgin.

You can't fault the ship, it's very smooth and if you read other posts you will discover more information. The flight home :- after a particularly uncomfortable flight home from Singapore with Qantas in economy, my wife decided that the flight home from the USA would have to be first class and we settled on Virgin. The dedicated departure lounge with unlimited food and drink is very good indeed, you board around 20 mins before push back, champagne as you're shown to your seat but it has to be said that looking out the window is difficult due to the "herring bone" configuration of the seating.

After take off you have the option of a meal but we reckon it's best to have your meal before you board and then get the cabin crew to fix up the flat bed and sleep the all the way over. When you land you have another dedicated lounge where you can have complimentary breakfast and a shower.

I think I agree with the idea of flying first just to get that over and then a very relaxing Atlantic crossing home. Have fun.

Crossing--in either direction--is lovely. Plenty to do on the ship. Equal opportunities for relaxation. QM2 is a great ship. You will not regret booking a crossing.

There are slight advantages and disadvantages to traveling in each direction.

I have trouble staying awake for nightly entertainment traveling west after the second time-change. By the third or fourth time-change, I want to fall asleep immediately after dinner : ) Your father-in-law could have a similar reaction. This might, or might not, be a problem. The lectures in the daytime can be outstanding and missing evening entertainment might not be important for him.

I prefer leaving from NYC, because the landmarks are so memorable and whooshing under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge is such a great experience. Yes, the ship returns on the same path, but it's easier to enjoy the views on the afternoon of departure than in the early morning hours of the day you will be leaving the ship. Also, exact arrival time in Brooklyn can vary, while departure time is more predictable.

On the other hand, getting the flying-part over at the beginning of your vacation, makes a great deal of sense.

Whichever direction you plan, have a great time in England and a wonderful voyage! Do report back to cruise critic so we can learn how everything works out for the three of you!

Hi, Jayhawk, considering your backstory, I think your trip idea is brilliant. All three of you will enjoy the return to London, of course, and crossing on QM2 is a very special experience.

Just a note on air--Cunard will offer some very competitive rates for the one-way flight, so get quotes to compare to using miles. (I agree the investment in biz or 1st for him will be worth it, and I also agree with others who noted a roundtrip on QM2 can cost the same or less than flying and beats jet lag in both directions, so if you have the time, consider it!).

There is a lot of history on the ship itself! This list is a neat overview of onboard attractions and activities to anticipate: http://www.cunard.com/documents/brochures/101thingstodo.pdf

One of the most appealing aspects of a QM2 crossing IMO is the enrichment programme featuring several different guest speakers, musicians, etc. per crossing. If you have flexibility as to date, you may even be influenced by the programme, e.g., they just announced James Taylor will perform in August--that tempts me! Often, one lecturer will be focused on maritime, ocean liner and Cunard history--apparently, Stephen Payne is very popular in this role, I hope he's on the programme the next time we cross. I can't seem to find a 2014 list (see this programme home page and the list for 2013: http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/cunard-experience/enrichment-programmes/ ) and perhaps they haven't completed all of next year's programme bookings, but some are noted as to individual cruises, see, e.g., http://www.cunard.com/cruise-search/book-a-cruise/cruises/qm/606-m404-sou1-nyc1/?view=ACT#tabbedContent. You could call Cunard to see if they have more information for the crossings under consideration.

Happy research and planning!

Edited by Artemis

I really appreciate all the feedback on this forum!!

My wife was not wanting to go for my plan, but she LOVES the idea of back to back cruises that was suggested by one of the posters. Great idea.

Also, we are watching the Australian documentary (4 part) "Liners". Someone on the forums mentioned it. Very interesting show!

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi Everyone, We are booked on the QMII to Southampton in May, and then a return from Hamburg in late June. Crossing twice suits us well since we hate to fly very long distances and dread jet lag. Arriving refreshed and on the local time is a big, big plus. So if you can afford the time, I recommend QMII in both directions. We have done 2 QMII crossings and one on Holland America. I preferred the furniture and design of the verandah cabin on HAL, especially since there is a curtain to separate the couch from the bed, and the couch is more comfy. Buffet food on HAL was slightly better than Cunard although the main dining room food was about the same, both just fine, never bad but also never fabulous. QMII is a far lovelier ship, very grand indeed. And the enrichment program in Cunard is the best in the industry, lots and lots of quality things to do on board. Oh, and we priced round trip business class air (San Francisco to Paris) versus round trip on QMII and QMII is only slightly more. Granted we have to travel to get to and from the ships, but still quite a bargain, don't you agree?

I seriously doubt if you will find anyone who posts here who would prefer to take a plane instead of crossing the North Atlantic on the QM2. I can not compare the cabins of the QM2 with those of other lines since that is not of prime importance to us. About the only time we spend in our cabin is sleeping, personal grooming and changing clothes. There is just so much going on and never enough hours in the day to do everything we would like to do.

I certainly agree that the enrichment programs are the best around. In addition, the ballroom dancing on the QM2 is absolutely the finest at sea with the largest dance floor of any ship. The quality and quantity of the musicians on board is the best I've heard with the possible of a few special music festival cruises where the purpose of the cruise is to listen to "name" musicians. The band backing the shows in the Royal Court Theater always sound like they have been playing with the show performers for months even though they usually only have one rehearsal prior to the first show with new performers or act every night. Then there is the live music from a jazz trio, a string quartet, several piano player/singers in addition to a dance band who play the correct tempos for ballroom dancing. If none of this is appealing to you, there is a huge library of books to keep you occupied. Just try to find that on an airplane!:)