A word of caution about changing cabin categories

RWA Cruisers

Just a word of caution based on an experience that we had today. We had originally booked an OV cabin for our upcoming cruise. We then decided that we would change it to porthole cabin for a cheaper price. I called the 800 number and got it changed and saved $120 on our booking. We were happy and the change was easy to make over the phone. Everything was great :D

Until today... we got a notice that our FTTF money was being refunded due to a cancellation of our booking. I called Carnival and they looked it up and said that the booking was cancelled because we had not paid our deposit in full on time. I explained that I paid the deposit in full when I made the original booking online.

Well apparently, because of the fact that there was a new rate in effect when we changed to a porthole room, the required deposit amount had changed. I explained to the lady at Carnival that we weren't told of this when we made the change or we would have taken care of it at the time. I asked her to either fix it or put me in touch with someone who could.

Luckily she was able to help and we are now booked again in the same cabin for the cheaper rate. We had to pay an additional $100 to complete the deposit, but that is better than losing our booking altogether.

I'm glad that it has been corrected and I was happy with the customer service rep who helped me get it straight; however it would have been nice if they had contacted us prior to the cancellation so that all of this would have been avoided.

Just a word of caution based on an experience that we had today. We had originally booked an OV cabin for our upcoming cruise. We then decided that we would change it to porthole cabin for a cheaper price. I called the 800 number and got it changed and saved $120 on our booking. We were happy and the change was easy to make over the phone. Everything was great :D

Until today... we got a notice that our FTTF money was being refunded due to a cancellation of our booking. I called Carnival and they looked it up and said that the booking was cancelled because we had not paid our deposit in full on time. I explained that I paid the deposit in full when I made the original booking online.

Well apparently, because of the fact that there was a new rate in effect when we changed to a porthole room, the required deposit amount had changed. I explained to the lady at Carnival that we weren't told of this when we made the change or we would have taken care of it at the time. I asked her to either fix it or put me in touch with someone who could.

Luckily she was able to help and we are now booked again in the same cabin for the cheaper rate. We had to pay an additional $100 to complete the deposit, but that is better than losing our booking altogether.

I'm glad that it has been corrected and I was happy with the customer service rep who helped me get it straight; however it would have been nice if they had contacted us prior to the cancellation so that all of this would have been avoided.

That's an interesting response from Carnival considering the deposit amount is based on the length of the cruise, not the cabin category.

When you originally booked the cruise, did you pay the full deposit or was it a 50% reduced deposit? If it was the reduced deposit, that was your problem. According to other posters, when you make changes they expect the rest of the deposit or they'll canel your booking. Unfortunately, some at CCL don't tell you that.

By the way, did you get your FTTF back?

That's an interesting response from Carnival considering the deposit amount is based on the length of the cruise, not the cabin category.

No, not necessarily are deposit amounts determined by cruise length....during a sale, they sometimes offer 1/2 price deposit, when rebooked and not during the sale, the reduced deposit is not offered any longer....so the length of cruise does not always set the amount. Sales perks can affect deposit amounts as well.

However, OP, when you rebooked, you would have thought that the rep would have known that you owed more for the deposit and asked for it then, saving the cancellation! That was totally the fault of the rep than handled the cabin change, shame on CCL for cancelling you and not calling or emailing to correct their rep's error!

Yes, I know that there are sometimes sales in which you only pay 50% of the usual deposit, but even so, it is still not based on cabin category.

I believe you're missing the point.

OP orginally booked with 50% deposit rate.

OP then called back and changed selected cabins. Same catagory, different catagory??? does not matter.

What does matter is that OP "changed" their booking. When they changed their booking, they lost the benefit of 50% deposit. They were now required to pay 100% deposit.

OP did not know this and was not made aware of this.

Booking was cancelled when system found that full (100%) deposit had not been made.

I booked during the 50% reduced deposit special with $200 on board credit. We called weeks later to inquire about moving to a balcony and the rep told us that if we moved to a balcony we would loose our on board credit and have to pay more deposit. Naturally we didnt move to a balcony, but we did move decks... and that kept everything the same.

This is a good reminder from the OP.

Importantly, that 50% deposit promo has been a pain for a lot of people because of exactly this issue. You book under the promotion. Then a cabin change is made and the current promo or rate is applied. And unbeknownst to the passenger, the rest of the deposit is suddenly due.

All of Carnival's reps should have done their homework on this issue by now and should be ready to alert passengers who call in to make cabin changes. However, they are often woefully ignorant. In fact, last spring I changed from Past Guest to Early Saver a few weeks after initially booking under the 50% deposit promo, and while talking to the rep I asked whether the full deposit was due. I was assured that it was not. Fortunately, I didn't believe her, and after checking my account online an hour later, I found the full deposit was marked unpaid and was indeed due. I paid the cruise off at that point.

When you originally booked the cruise, did you pay the full deposit or was it a 50% reduced deposit? If it was the reduced deposit, that was your problem. According to other posters, when you make changes they expect the rest of the deposit or they'll canel your booking. Unfortunately, some at CCL don't tell you that.

By the way, did you get your FTTF back?

Yes it was originally a reduced deposit as part of a sale. We haven't re-purchased the FTTF yet, but there are still plenty available so that shouldn't be a problem as long as we don't wait too long. We didn't get it back automatically because the refund was already in process.

No, not necessarily are deposit amounts determined by cruise length....during a sale, they sometimes offer 1/2 price deposit, when rebooked and not during the sale, the reduced deposit is not offered any longer....so the length of cruise does not always set the amount. Sales perks can affect deposit amounts as well.

However, OP, when you rebooked, you would have thought that the rep would have known that you owed more for the deposit and asked for it then, saving the cancellation! That was totally the fault of the rep than handled the cabin change, shame on CCL for cancelling you and not calling or emailing to correct their rep's error![/quote]

My point exactly. Overall I'm still happy to choose Carnival, but this is something that they should work to correct so that it doesn't happen again in the future.

Similar thing just happened to me. Booked 4 cabins for a cruise in June of next year. Cruise was booked as Early Saver with 50% off the deposit. There was a $50 drop in the cruise rate so last Sunday I submitted the early saver form and received a reply on Monday that the new rate was approved. Yesterday I received an email from Carnival saying the deposit had not been paid and unless it was paid within 5 days the booking would be cancelled. Today I could no longer view my bookings online and called Carnival. They told me that all 4 bookings had been cancelled. The rep was unable to explain why the email said I had 5 days to pay the deposit but the bookings were cancelled 1 day later. Luckily the rooms were still available and the bookings were reinstated after I paid the other half of the deposit, but what a hassle. Was on the phone for 25 minutes getting everything straightened out. Sent an email complaint to Carnival and now am hoping for some OBC for my trouble (but not holding my breath).

I had the same problem last week on my upcoming Valor sailing. Called and upgraded to a balcony (which meant more money for Carnival) and the rep said I was all good. This was on a Friday. The next Wednesday or Thursday I was trying to view the booking online, but it would not show up under my cruises. I call Carnival and they then inform me that my booking has been cancelled because I had not paid a deposit. They had even returned my $250 deposit that I did pay.

The lady tried to tell me that they'd sent a letter (still not received) and an email informing me that I was required to pay the full deposit. I never received either. I had already booked airfare to San Juan at the time, so was in no place to cancel nonrefundable airfare and not take a cruise. Carnival better be thankful they are the cheapest, because I was really tempted to go RCL.

You would think they could properly communicate with their customers. I was so frustrated because they would just cancel my cruise like that without a phone call or anything to inform me of a missing deposit. Shame on Carnival!