Antarctica Inaugural

Nigella

The weather has been cold, in fact, today is the first time we have been able to sit outside since day 2 of the cruise. This means that the inside spaces are more crowed than usual, especially at breakfast and lunch. To manage the overflow, they open restaurant 2. They have installed overhead heaters in the patio grill and outside the colonnade but with the wind chill, they are not much use. We did have dinner at the patio one night, just to say we did it. The temp was -2C. The wine was well chilled that night!

Not sure about walking on deck 5 because it has been too cold - we have had wind, rain, fog and snow!

You can spend as much time as you want on the ice, but most people will come back within the hour. The only thing is, you can not board the zodiac until your colour group is called and they rotate the order each day.

Happy to answer any other questions, but the Internet is very slow.

I am currently on the Quest and feel I should answer a few questions.

First of all, this is not an expedition ship - never has been, never will be, so if you want the full experience of several ice landings and zodiac trips a day choose a different ship. It is, however, a great hybrid cruise - part luxury part expedition which suits me and most on board. Some had expected more but I'm not sure how they thought the Quest could suddenly become something it clearly is not. The crew have been great and Robin West and his team are very experienced and have handled changes of itinerary very well. The landings have always been weather permitting so I really don't understand why people are so upset. Getting people on and off the zodiacs has been very smooth and well organised but there will only be one landing a day - weather permitting. You are on the ice for about 1 hour, but you can come back sooner if you want.

It is true, we lost about 36 hours due to a medical problem. I can not believe people have complained about having to back track to get the patient to the nearest airstrip. Be warned. This is not like cruising the Med. There are no hospitals nearby so if there is a medical incident it will mean time will be lost and in fact, could mean the trip is over!

This has been everything I wanted and more. For people who are packing for this trip, be warned, there a lot more resort casual evenings than usual. I am wishing I had not brought so many dressy tops. Can you believe that is another thing people are complaining about? Guess you just can't please some people, but for me, this is great!

Thank You thank you thank you

nature is a fickle thing. We just spent a week on the Barrier Reef and the little waldo's special dive was put off a few times to get the conditions suitable for the particular site

sounds awful but if I set foot in the white south once, I shall be a happy woman ( we can do lots of fly byes from here)

Any travel is an adventure, take each day as it comes as you never know when that hitch can become the highlight

(on a side note i have had several emails from Silversea this week spruiking antarctic voyages, given they have sent me nought for several years and not responded to any questions I sent re other cruises after cancelling our tahiti cruise.... um......)

The weather has been cold, in fact, today is the first time we have been able to sit outside since day 2 of the cruise. This means that the inside spaces are more crowed than usual, especially at breakfast and lunch. To manage the overflow, they open restaurant 2. They have installed overhead heaters in the patio grill and outside the colonnade but with the wind chill, they are not much use. We did have dinner at the patio one night, just to say we did it. The temp was -2C. The wine was well chilled that night!

Not sure about walking on deck 5 because it has been too cold - we have had wind, rain, fog and snow!

You can spend as much time as you want on the ice, but most people will come back within the hour. The only thing is, you can not board the zodiac until your colour group is called and they rotate the order each day.

Happy to answer any other questions, but the Internet is very slow.

Many thanks for your helpful and reassuring posts.

I am currently on the Quest and feel I should answer a few questions.

First of all, this is not an expedition ship - never has been, never will be, so if you want the full experience of several ice landings and zodiac trips a day choose a different ship. It is, however, a great hybrid cruise - part luxury part expedition which suits me and most on board. Some had expected more but I'm not sure how they thought the Quest could suddenly become something it clearly is not. The crew have been great and Robin West and his team are very experienced and have handled changes of itinerary very well. The landings have always been weather permitting so I really don't understand why people are so upset. Getting people on and off the zodiacs has been very smooth and well organised but there will only be one landing a day - weather permitting. You are on the ice for about 1 hour, but you can come back sooner if you want.

It is true, we lost about 36 hours due to a medical problem. I can not believe people have complained about having to back track to get the patient to the nearest airstrip. Be warned. This is not like cruising the Med. There are no hospitals nearby so if there is a medical incident it will mean time will be lost and in fact, could mean the trip is over!

This has been everything I wanted and more. For people who are packing for this trip, be warned, there a lot more resort casual evenings than usual. I am wishing I had not brought so many dressy tops. Can you believe that is another thing people are complaining about? Guess you just can't please some people, but for me, this is great!

Joc:

Just how dressy did it get on the "formal" nights? Am I going to wish I packed a tux? It seems that an Antarctic cruise would be more casual, but I'd like your take on that.

Thanks.

There have been 3 formal nights and I would say it was about 50/50 tux, dark suit. Some of the women were in long dresses, but most were in cocktail dresses. The rest of the time the dress code seemed to go out the window. I'm not sure why people do not understand no jeans after 6:00pm. It doesn't really upset me, but it seems a simple enough instruction.

Joc:

Just how dressy did it get on the "formal" nights? Am I going to wish I packed a tux? It seems that an Antarctic cruise would be more casual, but I'd like your take on that.

Thanks.

GerryDoc ... I am going to take a dark suit rather than a tux. For the rest I will dress as I have on all my previous Seabourn cruises. That means a jacket in the evenings.

Just back from the inaugural Antarctic cruise on Quest. Most of the observations are spot on. A couple of points:

1) The operational plan for changing into boots and moving people into zodiacs was virtually flawless. There were five daily landing groups, but there was some flexibility with time ashore since the zodiacs run non-stop during your landing group's time slot. This is a well thought out and managed process. No issues here.

2) Deck 5 aft is closed to everything but boot changing. Some of the indoor public spaces get crowded, especially the Observation Lounge, and the hours of operation were not altered to accommodate the long daylight hours of Antarctica. (night -extended dusk really- is only 2.5 hours) Adding the heaters made outdoor spaces quite tolerable, however.

3) Since there are 10 zodiacs to put in the water, rather than the usual 4 to 6, and many more people to move, only one landing spot per day can be selected. If that spot goes bad, or is selected without current or accurate information, there is not really a chance to get everything back into the ship and move on to another landing spot. Landing day over, on to "scenic cruising".

4) While the expedition team is mostly excellent, they will have to really work hard to select landing locations that will last for the day so that everyone has an opportunity to get ashore. And yes, the Captain should work more closely with the Expedition team so that guest expectations are fully met.

In summary, this is a great cruise for those that want more than an Antarctic drive-by but less than a full-on expedition. Oh, and of course, Seabourn service and luxury. We're thrilled to have now set foot on 7 continents!

Some of the indoor public spaces get crowded, especially the Observation Lounge, and the hours of operation were not altered to accommodate the long daylight hours of Antarctica. (night -extended dusk really- is only 2.5 hours)...

I guess the crew needs some sleep, too... unless SB increases staffing accordingly to staff the Observation Lounge round-the-clock. Aside from the naturalists and expedition leaders, was there an increase in service staff?

3) Since there are 10 zodiacs to put in the water, rather than the usual 4 to 6, and many more people to move, only one landing spot per day can be selected. If that spot goes bad, or is selected without current or accurate information, there is not really a chance to get everything back into the ship and move on to another landing spot. Landing day over, on to "scenic cruising".

4) While the expedition team is mostly excellent, they will have to really work hard to select landing locations that will last for the day so that everyone has an opportunity to get ashore. And yes, the Captain should work more closely with the Expedition team so that guest expectations are fully met.

In summary, this is a great cruise for those that want more than an Antarctic drive-by but less than a full-on expedition. Oh, and of course, Seabourn service and luxury. We're thrilled to have now set foot on 7 continents!

I think that Antarctica is best left to expedition lines with around 100 guests, for the above reasons. It just takes too long to move 450 guests on and offshore.

It just takes too long to move 450 guests on and offshore.

I thought Seabourn were only taking 300 odd for these sailings

TPAtravelfan thanks for your update.

You seemed to have had the same expectations of what we have of these sailings. I would like to think Seabourn will be fine tuning each sailing.

We cant wait to meet Seabourn for the first time early Jan

I thought Seabourn were only taking 300 odd for these sailings

TPAtravelfan thanks for your update.

You seemed to have had the same expectations of what we have of these sailings. I would like to think Seabourn will be fine tuning each sailing.

We cant wait to meet Seabourn for the first time early Jan

I must admit we thought they were only having around 300 on board for these trips and was surprised when they announced there were 455 passengers. This would include the expedition team and lecturers but even so, it was more then we expected. It did make the ship feel crowded because we were inside a lot of the time. We spent most days in the O Lounge (sad to say, chair hogs are alive and well) and the crew were always offering hot chocolate, hot cider and things to eat. I think this is a tough itinerary for the crew because there is very little down time for them but they were wonderful as usual.

How did the ship handle the Drake Passage? Were many passengers seasick?

I thought the ship handled the Drake very well, but I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't suffer with seasickness. It was smooth going down but very rough on the way back. There were a few less people in the MDR one night but I didn't hear too many people complaining about being unwell. A lot people were wearing the patches for the whole trip so I guess that helps.

Joc123 and TPAtravelfan did you do any of the other shore excursions during the cruise?

Were there any highlights of these which you think shouldn't be missed?

We did Usuhaia on our own, taking the "End of the World" train with a taxi assist. Shopping in town was better than in other ports so this is a good place to walk around and buy chocolate, dulce de leche and other local goods. Good king crab.

We did the Virtuoso Voyager (included by travel consortium) in Punta Arenas which included the penguin reserve city tour and local lunch at a nice restaurant. You can do the penguin reserve through the ship and it is a worthwhile tour.

Other highlights were the horseback riding excursion at Puerto Chacabuco which included a beautiful ride through a field of lupins and the white water rafting excursion at Puerto Montt. If rafting is not your thing, do the lakes excursion which does time in Puerto Varas and provides some spectacular scenery.

We started the cruise in Rio and don't have many good things to say about the ports between Rio and Buenos Aires.

Edited by TPAtravelfan

I guess the crew needs some sleep, too... unless SB increases staffing accordingly to staff the Observation Lounge round-the-clock. Aside from the naturalists and expedition leaders, was there an increase in service staff?

I think that Antarctica is best left to expedition lines with around 100 guests, for the above reasons. It just takes too long to move 450 guests on and offshore.

I would ask Seabourn to leave the Sky Bar closed during the Antarctic Expereicnce portion and move that staff member to the Observation Bar for a late shift. This could usher in a new Seabourn Experience the "Sunset to Sunrise" party. (this occurs between midnight and 3am and is otherworldly spectacular) Of course, folks with staterooms on Deck 10 might not be too pleased about that.

Actually, staffing in general seemed to be quite sufficient and the Expedition Team was visible and interactive most of the time between landings, lectures and meals. What really changes everything is a medical issue, bad weather or bad information about landing sites. Moving 450 guests wasn't a problem at all.

Joc123 and TPAtravelfan did you do any of the other shore excursions during the cruise?

Were there any highlights of these which you think shouldn't be missed?

In Ushuaia we did the train at the end of the world tour. IMHO I wouldn't bother doing this - too much time spent in the prison museum and there is not much to see. The train ride was OK but you could easily do this on your own. In Punta Arenas we booked Magdalena by speedboat but it was cancelled due to bad weather. We then went to Magellan Penguin Reserve. It was good, but be warned, it can get very cold. In Puerto Chacabuco we did Northern Patagonia and Coyhaique City. The drive through the Andes is not to be missed. It is a long time on the bus but the landscape is beautiful. I heard the Unesco Churches of Chiloe was not good. We did the city tour and it was ordinary. Different people like different things but I hope this helps.

was ordinary.

Different people like different things but I hope that helps.

We are looking at the rafting. Was it adventurous or pretty tame?

I thought about horse riding but not having ridden since a teenager I flicked that.

So long as you can climb over a few rocks to get into the boat, the rest is mostly tame. 20 minutes of class 3 rapids, maybe 3+ in some areas, then a lazy trip down the river. Quite exhilarating though! Folks of every age participating. If you are active, this is a great excursion. Not too much time paddling. Guide does most of the work. We laughed the entire way down the river.

No need for equestrian skills on the horse ride, the horses know where to go and are very forgiving. We had some first timers. It's amazing scenery that you won't see anywhere else. Nor forget.

I thought about horse riding but not having ridden since a teenager I flicked that.

That was only a couple of years ago wasn't it MrsWaldo? :D

Whereas in my case my wife stuck me on a 4 hour horse ride out into the Vegas desert when I hadn't ridden a horse for about 40 years. I couldn't get off and walked strange for about 3 days :) Still gunna do the horse ride though

That was only a couple of years ago wasn't it MrsWaldo? :D

I remember it like yesterday ;) Hmmm, horseriding might be back in the mix.

Hmmm, was hoping the rafting might have been a bit more class 4, I have a 19 and 22yo with us. 19yo was probably looking for a good paddle. I still think we'll stick with it though. From the research I've done it's early in the season, so maybe it will get a bit more class 4 later ??