easiest way to enjoy St. Johns

jrwalsh

What's the easiest and cheapest way to get off the cruise ship, spend the day at St. Johns' beach, and return to the cruise ship? Do we need an excursion, or can we take public/private transportation?

I can't give you EXACT details of who/how much etc, but when my friend an I went, we took a taxi/jitny from port to a ferry and took the ferry to St John and then a taxi/jitny to Trunk Bay to snorkel. It was rainy that day so snorkeling wasn't good so we took a jitny back to town to check out the shops. If you're a drinker, there's an awesome little rum bar right by the ferry dock. Bone's Island Rum. You pay for your choice of frozen mix and add as much rum as you want, for like $9. I do know we spent a good bit on transportation/tips at that port. Hope that helps

We've been doing a lot of research on our St. Thomas stop - including a possible trip to St. John's.

There are 3 ways to do St. John that appealed to me:

1. DIY can to Red Hook, ferry, can on St. John's to whatever sites suit you. Doable on a typical cruise stop, but you do need to watch your time & make sure you don't get caught up in cruise vs. island time.

2. Take a ship excursion that leaves you explore time on the island. That gains you a direct ferry, eliminating the cab & Red Hook ferry. That saved time and may not actually be more expensive. Ship excursions may have a land tour you can skip to do your win thing. Of course, they also usually have tours to Trunk Bay (which may be thus overrun.)

3. Take a sail/snorkel/beach tour either from your ship or one of the local operators. Again, if you're on a non-ship tour time risk does come into play, but the local operators are well aware of those issues and careful about it.

There are threads about this you should be able to find hereabouts. I find Blue_Water gives excellent advice, so maybe find that user & search their posts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi, went to St Johns last week from St Thomas. Costs were as following: 1) taxi from havensight to Red hook $10 per person each way. 2) ferry to St. John's $7 per person each way. 3) taxi to trunk bay $6 per person each way. 4) entry to trunk bay beach $4 per person. Total $50! I think my ship had the same excursion for not too much more so check what's available as DIY St John is not as advantageous as other excursions. Hope this helps.

P

Took an excursion with RCL (only time I ever booked a ship tour) left right from the pier, visited a bunch of beaches from the water (with commentary) then were left at the dock in St. John for about 3.5 hours. This cost $40, then paid $6 each way to go to the beach and $4 admission for a total cost of $56.00

It was a spectacular day, and did I mention the Rum Punch all they way back to the ship....... :D:D

Hi, went to St Johns last week from St Thomas. Costs were as following: 1) taxi from havensight to Red hook $10 per person each way. 2) ferry to St. John's $7 per person each way. 3) taxi to trunk bay $6 per person each way. 4) entry to trunk bay beach $4 per person. Total $50! I think my ship had the same excursion for not too much more so check what's available as DIY St John is not as advantageous as other excursions. Hope this helps.

P

Thanks pauluk! I just asked you this exact question on another thread and here you've shared the answer.

We just booked the St John's Self Explore Excursion through the ship. $34 pp. total time 6.5 hours with 4.5 hours free to explore on St. John's. We do very few ship tours, but the elimination of r/t cab rides to and from Red Hook it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Hi! This tour sounds very interesting - what line and which ship were you on?

We also booked the transportation through our ship (Celebrity) which just takes you over and back, while on the Island you are on your own. Didn't want to hassle with the taxi, ferry times, etc This seems about the same price as trying to do it all on your own.

P

There is a $ 2 taxi (kind of a bus) that takes you to Red Hook. There was a thread on here that gave exact directions how to find it. Ask the taxi drivers and they will lie and tell you no such thing.

We did take it in October 2013. Remember we walked toward K mart and a block inland but dont remember all the particulars.

The easiest way to get from St. Thomas to St. John is to take an excursion offered through the ship.

The excursion will pick you up at the ship ... take you to have fun in St. John ... returned you to the ship ... the ship will wait if you're late .... all with no thought or preplanning on your part. :D

LuLu

~~~~

1st time to St Thomas we charterd a sail boat and swam in trunk Bay. 2nd time we went to Sapphire beach, 3rd time Morningstar (not impressed), 4th time Magens Bay. We are going next April, 6 adults and a 14month old. I am thinking a trip to St john with the narrated beach tour and 3.5 hour on our own might be the way to go this year. Also, there are 6 ships in port that day and our ship time is 11am - 7pm, so we arrive late. The other option is Coki on our own.

Any recommendations?

The easiest way to get from St. Thomas to St. John is to take an excursion offered through the ship.

The excursion will pick you up at the ship ... take you to have fun in St. John ... returned you to the ship ... the ship will wait if you're late .... all with no thought or preplanning on your part. :D

LuLu

~~~~

We just did this tour ST03, definitely easiest way to enjoy St John's beach. Only one note- come back to Cruz Bay half an hour earlier to explore nice small shopping mall across a road from pier.