Difference between the Jade and the Spirit?????

portcbob

Hi fellow cruisers.

Attempting to research a Med cruise for the summer of 2015. Any cruisers who have cruised on both ships, what is the difference between the two please. I know there is a slight difference in size, but I am thinking Staff, Food, Entertainment ect ect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have cruised on the Jade previously and loved her.

Cheers Bob.;););)

The Spirit is as unique unto herself as the epic is. She stands alone in beauty costing more to build in today's dollars than the Epic. Originally built for the Asian market. You needn't worry about staff, food etc. NCL works hard to ensure that there is compliance among all ships in the fleet.

I have been on all classes of NCL ships except Pride of America and the Spirit is my favorite. Staterooms come in all different sizes. Do some research and have a wonderful time.:)

I agree that the Spirit is unique and onto itself. The decor is asian and very beautiful. The Jade is Hawaiian themed. It previously sailed in Hawaii until NCL decided they only wanted one ship sailing there. Both ships have great crews. I've sailed the Jade for 24 days in the Med and then just this past summer the Spirit in the Med. You can't go wrong with either.

Personally I love the jewel class ships which include the Jade. I like the size, spinnaker lounge and the great outdoors. The spirit is my least favourite. It's too old, too much red, I don't like the Asian décor and there were no fridges in the cabins. Just my opinion.

Personally I love the jewel class ships which include the Jade. I like the size, spinnaker lounge and the great outdoors. The spirit is my least favourite. It's too old, too much red, I don't like the Asian décor and there were no fridges in the cabins. Just my opinion.

Not sure when you sailed on the Spirit but there have been fridges in cabins for about 18 months now.

For me a med cruise is all about the ports the ship visits. They are port intensive, and very tiring, cruises. For me this makes it less about the entertainment and activities. After a long day in port you want to eat and sleep. Entertainment is very much geared towards the european market on both ships. Lots of visual and music, less language specific shows on both.

Having done 2 med cruises on Spirit we are likely cruising on Jade this summer to visit different ports.

there are mini-bars not fridges in certain cabin catagories insides and ov's.

was on the spirit 13-22 november 2013. food and entertainment o.k.

crew friendly but can be a bit sloppy at times JMO. ship is a one off some like it some not . theatre is at the rear of the ship.

very good crew director in gio.

I stand corrected they are mini-bars not fridges in the cabins on the Spirit. It is possible to ask the steward to empty it so that you can use it for your own stuff if you want. I bring my own soft drinks and keep them in there along with my medication as I have done on all the ships I have sailed so far.

I stand corrected they are mini-bars not fridges in the cabins on the Spirit. It is possible to ask the steward to empty it so that you can use it for your own stuff if you want. I bring my own soft drinks and keep them in there along with my medication as I have done on all the ships I have sailed so far.

indeed.this is a good idea

Hi fellow cruisers.

Attempting to research a Med cruise for the summer of 2015. Any cruisers who have cruised on both ships, what is the difference between the two please. I know there is a slight difference in size, but I am thinking Staff, Food, Entertainment ect ect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have cruised on the Jade previously and loved her.

Cheers Bob.;););)

The Spirit was built for the Asian market so it has a flare very different from the Jewel Class ships. Food wise, for the most part the menues are fleet wide so probably will be very similar. There will be more to do on the Gem but the beauty of the Spirit is something everyone should see. My biggest complaint with the Spirit is the size of the cabins and balconies. Otherwise it is a great ship with a wonderful crew. Because Med cruises are so port intensive having a lot of on ship activities probably isn't as important as a TA cruise. I think I would opt for the Spirit. Just remember she is an older ship.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We were on both ships this past summer, 12 Day Grand Med on the Spirit and a 7 Day Greek Isle B2B. IMHO, we preferred the Spirit, crew was outstanding, food was good but that's so subjective that I tend not to pay attention to those comments. Having said that, the Chef's Table was Fantastic ! ! ! We also found the Spirit had a more relaxed feel to it, even tho it was very port intensive, we didn't feel rushed.

Unlike the Jade, we found the staff on the cold side ( except for GS folks esp. Rochelle Brown the Asst. GS Manager, helped us out with a cabin issue and went above & beyond to solve the issue).

Now don't get me wrong, we did enjoy our time on the Jade, just not as much as the Spirit.

Both were well maintained, clean and easy to get around. The only minor issue we had with both were concerning the seating of passengers during shows. I can understand trying to seat people 10- 15 mins. after the show starts, but 35 mins. in is a bit much.

When we tried the buffets, the Spirit was easy to navigate around with minimal line-ups, where the the Jade had too many individual serving stations ( hot section, cold, pasta, sweets, salads, etc.) which did create a lot of confusion and unnecessary line-ups and close calls of collisions among pax not looking where they were going ( I was also guilty :o ) while trying to find the next station.

If we had to make a choice between the 2 ? Spirit would win hands down, but that's just us. Enjoy your cruise no matter what Ship you decide on, because really, as long as you're cruisin' you ain't workin'.

cheers...the Ump...:D