Just off Valor...Here is what we thought!

briehon

Wednesday, Barbados...and our anniversary!!

It was our 9th wedding anniversary and yes we got up to do a short run again. Not as windy today though! We were met at gate one at the end of the pier by our taxi driver who held a sign that said CALABAZZA. Besides the 4 of us, there were 2 other couples. We waited and waited and finally left at 9:10. Apparently another couple missed the boat...literally.

We arrived just about 15 minutes later at the boat dock where they took our shoes and we climbed aboard the catamaran with our new friends and guides Andrew, Danny and Fabian. We were immediately served drinks..they have a full bar but most of us opted for the famous rum punch along side some delicious home made banana bread. We paid our fee and off we went!

First stop was snorkeling with the turtles. We were provided with snorkels and masks. No fins are used when swimming with the turtles but we did get these later when we snorkeled at the ship wrecks. We instantly saw several turtles that swam right up to us and we were able to touch their shells. They are beautiful, graceful swimmers and it was an awesome experience. We stayed in the water for nearly an hour with the turtles and then off to the shipwrecks. Fabian and Andrew took turns getting in the water with us and guiding us to what to see. They were AMAZING. They even taught some of the less experienced swimmers how to snorkel and feel more comfortable in the water. After about another hour in the water, we got out and headed out along the coast.

The catamaran is gorgeous and spacious. There were only 8 of us all day besides the guides and we became fast friends and really enjoyed each other, the water, the sun and the boat. After a sail, we anchored and had lunch...a delish home made lunch with salads, sides, chicken, fish...wonderful. And the owner, Gina, even sent us copies of all of her recipes later along with a link to all of the pictures that were taken of us that day. Drinks were flowing all day and we sailed back to the dock and a taxi took us back to the port.

I can't even put into words what an amazing day we had on Calabazza. It is worth twice what we paid ($110 per person) and want to go back to Barbados just to do this again. If you are considering it, stop, and do it. You will not be disappointed!!!

Next up...CHEF's TABLE!!!

Wednesday, Barbados...and our anniversary!!

It was our 9th wedding anniversary and yes we got up to do a short run again. Not as windy today though! We were met at gate one at the end of the pier by our taxi driver who held a sign that said CALABAZZA. Besides the 4 of us, there were 2 other couples. We waited and waited and finally left at 9:10. Apparently another couple missed the boat...literally.

We arrived just about 15 minutes later at the boat dock where they took our shoes and we climbed aboard the catamaran with our new friends and guides Andrew, Danny and Fabian. We were immediately served drinks..they have a full bar but most of us opted for the famous rum punch along side some delicious home made banana bread. We paid our fee and off we went!

First stop was snorkeling with the turtles. We were provided with snorkels and masks. No fins are used when swimming with the turtles but we did get these later when we snorkeled at the ship wrecks. We instantly saw several turtles that swam right up to us and we were able to touch their shells. They are beautiful, graceful swimmers and it was an awesome experience. We stayed in the water for nearly an hour with the turtles and then off to the shipwrecks. Fabian and Andrew took turns getting in the water with us and guiding us to what to see. They were AMAZING. They even taught some of the less experienced swimmers how to snorkel and feel more comfortable in the water. After about another hour in the water, we got out and headed out along the coast.

The catamaran is gorgeous and spacious. There were only 8 of us all day besides the guides and we became fast friends and really enjoyed each other, the water, the sun and the boat. After a sail, we anchored and had lunch...a delish home made lunch with salads, sides, chicken, fish...wonderful. And the owner, Gina, even sent us copies of all of her recipes later along with a link to all of the pictures that were taken of us that day. Drinks were flowing all day and we sailed back to the dock and a taxi took us back to the port.

I can't even put into words what an amazing day we had on Calabazza. It is worth twice what we paid ($110 per person) and want to go back to Barbados just to do this again. If you are considering it, stop, and do it. You will not be disappointed!!!

Next up...CHEF's TABLE!!!

Great Review. I'm on the Valor in 38 more days and can't wait for my day with Calabazza. I booked this excursion right after I booked the cruise because we are 7 people and I know we'll take up most of the catamaran and didn't want any chances of not having room for us.

I can't wait to see what you did in the other ports. This has been on tough itinerary to plan excursions but I think we'll have a great time either way.

Thanks again for the review.

Chef's Table...

We met at the lobby bar at 6:15pm and were greeted with a lovely glass of champagne. There were 12 of us total. We met the chef, Siva, and followed him through the dining room and into the galley. We were given a full tour while the galley was serving dinner so it was crazy busy and fun to watch!! We got to see every station in action and were finally led to a prep station that was set up just for us. There we were served several appetizer type items to try. They were all tasty!! Next, we were put to work as one of us (my sister!!) got to mix the WCMC. She loves it so it was fun for her!! After that, we were led to our dining table. It was in a private room just off of the Lincoln Dining Room. It was one long table that we all sat together. We were given a choice of red or white wine but you could have both which both DH and I did!! Then the dishes came!! One after the other with explanation all the way. We also got to watch the final preps of the dishes on the table next to ours. Some of them I straight up didn't care for but no matter, there were plenty more coming and you leave there super full!! Our favorites were the Wagyu and the Salmon!! YUMMY!!! The family of 6 we met earlier in the cruise were seated right next to us and are from Chicago (as are we) so we talked the entire time!!

Now just a side note, I am a well traveled person and am used to dealing with all sorts of people. But I really had a hard time understanding the chef, between his accent and he spoke very softly...we tried joking with him several times and he just wasn't personable AT ALL. I really feel that a better "host" for the evening could have added to the experience.

After dinner, just before dessert, we really got a treat!! The magician on board, Elton, joined us and performed several tricks right at the table, moving from guest to guest to perform. He did, I think, at least 5 tricks. HE IS GREAT!!! I missed his main show but heard it was AMAZING!!! If you get a chance to see him, do it. He also makes rounds in the dining room. He made my night actually!! He is funny, friendly and so down to earth!! We were able to just chat with him one night and his story is so interesting.

The chef's table is $75 per person and includes all the wine you can drink as well as we also ordered cappuccino with dessert and were not charged extra. I think it was worth the extra charge if you are a foodie and like to see the behind the scenes of the galley in action. You also get a chef autographed 8X10 photo of your group with the chef and the recipe for WCMC. You also get to keep the menu and the personalized place card.

NEXT UP!!! St Lucia and Thanksgiving Dinner!!

Great Review. I'm on the Valor in 38 more days and can't wait for my day with Calabazza. I booked this excursion right after I booked the cruise because we are 7 people and I know we'll take up most of the catamaran and didn't want any chances of not having room for us.

I can't wait to see what you did in the other ports. This has been on tough itinerary to plan excursions but I think we'll have a great time either way.

Thanks again for the review.

If I had 7 people, I would buy out the other 5 and make it private for my family...but that's just me. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time and made awesome friends actually and wouldn't trade it but in the future...not sure what your group dynamic is like. We are super friendly folks...

If I had 7 people, I would buy out the other 5 and make it private for my family...but that's just me. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time and made awesome friends actually and wouldn't trade it but in the future...not sure what your group dynamic is like. We are super friendly folks...

Actually when I called Gina she already had 2 people booked and at the time I booked I had 9 people so we filled the boat. Since then 2 of my group cancelled :(

I thought I booked early (10 months ahead) but obviously someone else beat me to it.

We are a friendly group and worse case, we'll just keep to ourselves at one end while the unfriendly people stay at the other ;)

Thanksgiving Day in ST LUCIA!!

We were excited about going on Cosol Tours! We arrived at the meeting point 15 minutes early so we were in the first group to go out. Sam was our tour guide. Now while Sam was nice, interesting and funny, I was not as impressed as others with our tour. I won't cover everything we did but give you the highlights. We definitely saw the ENTIRE island. We got to stop for several viewing points which were BEAUTIFUL as well as for quite a bit of shopping. Drinks were served over an hour into the tour so if you need to, bring a water. We stopped road side to experience the banana plantation and stopped for what they called lunch. The local beer (Piton Beer) as well as Rum Punch and water were available as well. The lunch consisted of several plates set out buffet style. The items were all very authentic although nothing was hot (temperature) and several items seemed stale. I wasn't impressed with this part and it seemed more of a snack than a lunch. So, suffice it to say, we were all starving by noon. The volcano stop was a highlight of our trip and we did buy some chicken from a lady grilling at the waterfall to hold us over.

I have to head to work so I can pay for more vacations!!! I will finish this later!!!