Is there a simple solution?

brooklynfc

You need to go out for drinks with her and casually explain how Carnival's policy works and then trust that she will do what's right. If she's a good friend, she will. If she's trying to squeeze you for a hundred bucks, you'll know next time to go with someone else.

She was cool with it. We are just going to keep track and wait closer to the cruise and maybe redistribute some of the other cost. Like, she can pay for the hotel in full or pay for the taxi ride in full. Stuff like that.

Sort of did that recently. I paid for the motel room, she paid for my not so cheap meal at the restaurant.

2 things

Why pay off a cruise early in the first place? Final payment date is fine. If you earn money and are able to travel you should be able to save it for the cruise and not spend it elsewhere. Unless of course you like lending money to the cruise line.

For those that say they don't like talking to others about money. Come on really? Time to be an adult about that sort of thing

You do things your way, I do it my way.

Depending on your financial situation and how much you trust this friend, it may be easier to just pay the whole thing yourself and have her owe you half.

Love to help her out like that, but I can't. Like I said, was more than happy to offer it to her for her Christmas present, but as I posted above we figured it out.

I just thought someone might have found a way to work this with Carnival.

You need to go out for drinks with her and casually explain how Carnival's policy works and then trust that she will do what's right. If she's a good friend, she will. If she's trying to squeeze you for a hundred bucks, you'll know next time to go with someone else.

She lives in KY, so I don't think that would be easy :D. But Facebook messaging seemed just fine and I didn't have to buy her a drink.:p

Sort of did that recently. I paid for the motel room, she paid for my not so cheap meal at the restaurant.

I figured it was the best offer. Takes some pressure off me to pay for those things in my budget and she could always put those things on a credit card if she needed to.

My friend and I are booked on a cruise for next 2014 and have been for pretty much a year. I have paid off my half of the cruise cost and she hasn't been able to put anything towards her side (I totally understand that and she has another 10 months to pay).

The main issue is, that we booked Early Saver and we already got a minor price drop earlier (before I paid off my half) and I just got another price drop today. And it hit me, from now until she pays off her half, any price drop will go towards OBC or really what is left of the payment. Her half. The last price drop is supposed to be $25pp, so she will get $50 off her total cost.

I'm not trying to be petty her and I be willing to say, "Merry Christmas" to her for $25, but I worry about future price drops. It would be really nice to start with a + on my account, especially since I recently bought a house and things are just a bit tighter. And I have already fronted the money for the FTTF. I haven't even brought this up to her yet, so its not that I don't think she will not be understanding, but I just thought I might seek advice and the knowledge of ppl here on CC to see if anyone has dealt with this before and how they handled it.

I have had this situation before. I keep track of the cost per person of the cruise, and that is what I collect from the person going with me. When we get on board, as we check in, you tell the person what the split of the on board credit is. If you are the primary on the room, it will be all on your card when you arrive. If any of it goes to your travel companion, you tell them when you check in, and they will adjust it.

Well, you would think, but all of it came off the balance left, her balance. This is a problem Carnival has. They don't want to "split" a booking, but they make you book double occupancy........I guess considering that most people are couples, so their it doesn't matter if it is "split." Last time, we both paid it off early, so when OBC came on, we just agreed that when we boarded that we would each spend our half of the OBC and it worked out pretty good that way.

It's true....and not fair to "singles' and friends and "more distant" family who cruise together IMHO

I loved the old "future cruise certs" BUT I do NOT miss the confusion they sometimes caused among "roommates" who were only matched up to save on cabin fares

I agree with idea of spreadsheet/list etc to track it since all the onboard credit will go towards paying off her bill - document it all JMO