Is there a simple solution?

brooklynfc

My friend and I are booked on a cruise for next 2014 and have been for pretty much a year. I have paid off my half of the cruise cost and she hasn't been able to put anything towards her side (I totally understand that and she has another 10 months to pay).

The main issue is, that we booked Early Saver and we already got a minor price drop earlier (before I paid off my half) and I just got another price drop today. And it hit me, from now until she pays off her half, any price drop will go towards OBC or really what is left of the payment. Her half. The last price drop is supposed to be $25pp, so she will get $50 off her total cost.

I'm not trying to be petty her and I be willing to say, "Merry Christmas" to her for $25, but I worry about future price drops. It would be really nice to start with a + on my account, especially since I recently bought a house and things are just a bit tighter. And I have already fronted the money for the FTTF. I haven't even brought this up to her yet, so its not that I don't think she will not be understanding, but I just thought I might seek advice and the knowledge of ppl here on CC to see if anyone has dealt with this before and how they handled it.

I don't understand why the price drop doesn't just take care of itself when you submit one and get it. In other words, your cruise is paid off so any price drop will show up as an OBC for you. And with your friend, since her balance is not paid off, any price drop should automatically reflect as a reduction in the balance owed. Price drops are per person, so I don't understand why Carnival isn't issuing them according to the balances owed for you two.

I don't understand why the price drop doesn't just take care of itself when you submit one and get it. In other words, your cruise is paid off so any price drop will show up as an OBC for you. And with your friend, since her balance is not paid off, any price drop should automatically reflect as a reduction in the balance owed. Price drops are per person, so I don't understand why Carnival isn't issuing them according to the balances owed for you two.

Even though the price drop is PP, Carnival treats it as a cabin. OBC is divided equal between 1st and 2nd passengers, no matter who the OBC really belongs to.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Try the approach that the cruise is say $XXX total. You paid $XX and she needs to pay the same. Any difference for OBC credit or price reductions should be split down the middle. In the end you both will have paid the same for the cruise.

When I took a cruise with a friend last December, she paid hers off before I had a coupon applied. So, it looked like I was paying less for the cruise. However, what I did was keep a spreadsheet of all expenses paid by either of us (cruise, hotel, gas, etc); then, at the end of the cruise, we totalled up how much each of us had paid, and it was pretty even. I think I owed her about $50.

Never gotten price drop credit before (guess I've always been lucky and booked at the cheapest fare), so I don't know how they would do those credits.

Well, you would think, but all of it came off the balance left, her balance. This is a problem Carnival has. They don't want to "split" a booking, but they make you book double occupancy........I guess considering that most people are couples, so their it doesn't matter if it is "split." Last time, we both paid it off early, so when OBC came on, we just agreed that when we boarded that we would each spend our half of the OBC and it worked out pretty good that way.

When I took a cruise with a friend last December, she paid hers off before I had a coupon applied. So, it looked like I was paying less for the cruise. However, what I did was keep a spreadsheet of all expenses paid by either of us (cruise, hotel, gas, etc); then, at the end of the cruise, we totalled up how much each of us had paid, and it was pretty even. I think I owed her about $50.

Never gotten price drop credit before (guess I've always been lucky and booked at the cheapest fare), so I don't know how they would do those credits.

I do have a spreadsheet of it. I just hate talking to .....anyone......about money. Especially since I know she has been trying really hard to get the money to pay off her half.

Even though the price drop is PP, Carnival treats it as a cabin. OBC is divided equal between 1st and 2nd passengers, no matter who the OBC really belongs to.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

But it's not an obc if the room isn't paid in full then. Sorry to me it makes no sense why they can't lower the final balance for one passenger and issue an obc for the one that's paid in full. Her roomate's fare is never going to get a drop because she paid in full early? Obviously I'm missing something. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

But it's not an obc if the room isn't paid in full then. Sorry to me it makes no sense why they can't lower the final balance for one passenger and issue an obc for the one that's paid in full. Her roomate's fare is never going to get a drop because she paid in full early? Obviously I'm missing something. Lol.

Its complicated, Carnival is good for that (though I still like them). Carnival only offers OBC or an upgrade for "price drops" on Early Saver. But they do tell you in the paperworkf for ES that if your account has a balance, the OBC will go towards that balance on the account and not as a credit. Carnival has to get paid first.

Its complicated, Carnival is good for that (though I still like them). Carnival only offers OBC or an upgrade for "price drops" on Early Saver. But they do tell you in the paperworkf for ES that if your account has a balance, the OBC will go towards that balance on the account and not as a credit. Carnival has to get paid first.

Well you can get price drops on any rate up to final payment other than one. So I understand that. But in your OP are you saying the price drops you've gotten have been issued as an OBC or towards the final balance owed? Either way, I do feel for you. Kinda makes it messy that they can't or won't divide it. I don't blame you for paying it off early if you was able to and getting it out of the way. I also understand your friend not being able to. I'm usually in your friend's shoes :p.

I like yourself hate talking to anyone about money! But since you just bought a house and like your friend the purse strings are a little tight, it would make sense that if she's getting price reductions on what she owes, that she splits the difference with you. She cannot possibly think that she can just pay less for her half since you paid yours off she just got "lucky" by getting a deal. You should not get penalized for paying your half off before your friend. And since you haven't spoken to her about it yet, does she know her price has dropped? In my opinion if she doesn't come up with paying you back what your owed, I would question the friendship. IMHO.

Well you can get price drops on any rate up to final payment other than one. So I understand that. But in your OP are you saying the price drops you've gotten have been issued as an OBC or towards the final balance owed? Either way, I do feel for you. Kinda makes it messy that they can't or won't divide it. I don't blame you for paying it off early if you was able to and getting it out of the way. I also understand your friend not being able to. I'm usually in your friend's shoes :p.

Yes. The previous $30pp drop came off the balance owed in total and since we both still owed money it was easy just to deducted the $30 from my portion left. But now I have nothing left and the full $50 drop goes towards the balanced owed, which is hers.

Well, I knew I would be buying a house this year, I didn't know when, so I wanted to get as much as I could paid off before I had a mortgage payment. Though I did estimate a mortgage payment and my full budget before I purchased the cruise so I would know if I could afford all the cost. My friend is renting, so she has the same kind of budget as I do. Which is why I have sympathy for her.

I like yourself hate talking to anyone about money! But since you just bought a house and like your friend the purse strings are a little tight, it would make sense that if she's getting price reductions on what she owes, that she splits the difference with you. She cannot possibly think that she can just pay less for her half since you paid yours off she just got "lucky" by getting a deal. You should not get penalized for paying your half off before your friend. And since you haven't spoken to her about it yet, does she know her price has dropped? In my opinion if she doesn't come up with paying you back what your owed, I would question the friendship. IMHO.

True, i should just tell her and she what she says. I think she will totally understand, but it is hard....I'm there too......tight budgets and all. I guess I was hoping maybe someone found a way around Carnival's "backward" ways.

Perhaps you should have a better-heeled travelling companion in mind

for when this one drops out as a no-show/can't-make-it, further on down the road? :o

If she hasn't paid much this far, what makes you think ... ?

for when this one drops out as a no-show/can't-make-it, further on down the road? :o

Agree and have had the same feeling reading the various posts. It's time for the friend to start making payments or find another companion. Things won't getter better as time goes on unless she has invested her own money.

Completely see what you are saying and why you say it, but I mean we've all been there. If I hadn't made such a dent in the payment with the $500 deposit before I bought my house, I might be still paying it off too. The reason we booked 620 days out was to give us some cushion for payments should we need them. She has needed it and I'm glad we were smart enough to plan it out as such. She wants this cruise as much as I do, so I have no doubt she will pay her part off unless something completely tragic befalls her, which could happy to anyone (knock on wood). If so, I have a few back ups and insurance.

I wouldn’t say that because she hasn’t paid for a cruise in full 10 months out, that she’s ultimately going to be a no-show. The OP explained why she paid her fare off early. And I wouldn’t suggest she start hassling her friend about it. Just explain to her the situation when it comes to this last and then any future price drops. She shouldn't mind. You're trying to save her money! Let us know how you make out OP.

I wouldn’t say that because she hasn’t paid for a cruise in full 10 months out, that she’s ultimately going to be a no-show. The OP explained why she paid her fare off early. And I wouldn’t suggest she start hassling her friend about it. Just explain to her the situation when it comes to this last and then any future price drops. She shouldn't mind. You're trying to save her money! Let us know how you make out OP.

She was cool with it. We are just going to keep track and wait closer to the cruise and maybe redistribute some of the other cost. Like, she can pay for the hotel in full or pay for the taxi ride in full. Stuff like that.

I understand there will be no OBC in this case, that part was just in general. But as my first sentence stated, the booking is made by cabin, not by the number of people in the room. Yes the more people in the room the higher the price, but it's still just one room with one booking number. Carnival doesn't care who pays for the room or how it's divided up, nor should they. What if there was 4 or 5 people sharing a room, should carnival divide it up by 5 ? What if 5 people book a room then 1 bails out, then a month later another 1 bails out, is it carnivals job to keep adjusting the rate for each person ? My point about OBC is that if I book a room for 2 people and I pay 100% of it, then the price drops, the OBC gets divided up equal to each person, even though I paid for it. It's much easier for people to adjust the rates among themselves.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

She was cool with it. We are just going to keep track and wait closer to the cruise and maybe redistribute some of the other cost. Like, she can pay for the hotel in full or pay for the taxi ride in full. Stuff like that.

Cool. Reasonable way to handle the situation.

2 things

Why pay off a cruise early in the first place? Final payment date is fine. If you earn money and are able to travel you should be able to save it for the cruise and not spend it elsewhere. Unless of course you like lending money to the cruise line.

For those that say they don't like talking to others about money. Come on really? Time to be an adult about that sort of thing