Paying for Extra & Specialty Dining

PixieLegal

I've taken 3 cruises in 2013. No complaints about speed.

OP: I tend to eat in the surcharge restaurants simply because I prefer the more intimate venue. I'm not dining with 500 people at a time, but more like 30 - 40. It's a different ambiance.

I'd pay the extra, even if the meals were identical to the MDR.

Well said. I agree.

If you want traditional 'cruise' food and atmosphere then yes you need to pay to eat in the specialty restaurants. With the included venues now serving chicken pot pie and meat loaf types of food, it is more like having dinner at your local Denny's. Sure it's edible, but it isn't anything special at all.

Now on to the atmosphere and service. NCL has cut the waitstaff to the bone in the MDR's and the service is usually painfully slow and often with mistakes. The specialty restaurants are a notch up in service and speed. Most are smaller and intimate.

If you cruised 20 years ago you will understand the difference, if not, then the two-hour meatloaf dinner in the MDR will probably seem special to you.

Note to the OP: Read everything posted by this lady and assume the opposite of her posts is factual. Doing this will enhance your experience on CC and a cruise ship.

Been on 12 cruises and only been to a specialty restaurant once~ and yes it was amazing and the price can't be beat! We did the steakhouse on a Carnival ship and for $30 per person you couldn't beat it! We've been to steakhouses on land where the steak alone was $40 and that was the cheapest cut! But that being said the MDR's has always been great~ been on 3 different cruise lines and have never had an issue with the quality of food~

To me it's one of those, to each his own~ it's your vacation, do what you want!! :D

Note to the OP: Read everything posted by this lady and assume the opposite of her posts is factual. Doing this will enhance your experience on CC and a cruise ship.

That's so funny. I've always assumed LMB was a cantankerous old man.

I never thought LMB might be female.

We were just on the Jewel Thanksgiving cruise. This is my 4th cruise and 3rd with NCL.

We did several of the specialty restaurants for different reasons.

We did the sushi b/c we can never eat sushi that cheap at home and it was pretty good on the ship.

We looked forward to Moderno for the same reason. We love Brazilian steakhouses but restrain ourselves from going too often b/c of the cost. But it was only $20/pp on the ship. But I have to say it was horrible and we were served on platters instead of being carved from the sword. We did say something to Richard, the Hotel Director. We got the impression it is a known problem. He comped us a meal in Cagney and a bottle of wine. We weren't telling him to get a free meal..we have the theory that they don't know unless you tell them.

Cagney and the hibachi place were the best. The hibachi was my favorite even over Cagney's.

We tried to eat most options such as the buffet, mdr, Blue Lagoon and room service. They were all fine...some was even very good. I love the Cesar salads on NCL.

I gained 7 pounds so obviously I didn't have a problem with much of the food...haha!

We were just on the Jewel at the end of October and this was not the case when we ate in Moderno. All of our meets were carved from the swords. It was an excellent meal for us.

We were just on the Jewel at the end of October and this was not the case when we ate in Moderno. All of our meets were carved from the swords. It was an excellent meal for us.

Can't wait until my cruise to try this restaurant.

If you want traditional 'cruise' food and atmosphere then yes you need to pay to eat in the specialty restaurants. With the included venues now serving chicken pot pie and meat loaf types of food, it is more like having dinner at your local Denny's. Sure it's edible, but it isn't anything special at all.

Now on to the atmosphere and service. NCL has cut the waitstaff to the bone in the MDR's and the service is usually painfully slow and often with mistakes. The specialty restaurants are a notch up in service and speed. Most are smaller and intimate.

If you cruised 20 years ago you will understand the difference, if not, then the two-hour meatloaf dinner in the MDR will probably seem special to you.

Pray tell: when was the last time you were on an NCL cruise. Do they serve meatloaf, yep and so do most of the cruises we have been on, but on that same night will be 3 or 4 other choices and not what you get at Denny's, plus they always have steak, salmon and chicken breast available. They have Cesar salad and baked potatoes every night, and you can request almost any veggie you want. They will have it. As for 2 hours, we have only had a 2 hour dinner once and yes, the service sucked that night. We have dined just the 2 or us or with as many as 12, except for that night, we have had good to outstanding service. I expect dinner to take at least an hour, that is what we are used to in a decent restaurant and on every ship. We have found much worst service on a couple other cruise lines.

BTW, they have not cut back on the number of crew members they have. I am guessing either you had one bad experience on an NCL ship and are judging all cruises by that one or you really have never cruised NCL. It seems you and regular mass market lines are not for each other.

For new readers to CC or the NCL board please note - I have NEVER seen meatloaf on an NCL menu - LMB trolls round the NCL board spreading doom and gloom - I wonder if LMB has ever sailed on NCL - take LMB's posts with a large pinch of salt (hopefully not in the food).

Now where is that ignore facility?

My thoughts as well, though I have to say, I have seen meatloaf on the menu once or twice, she makes it sound like that was the only thing available and it was a nightly occurrence. It appears the poster has an agenda and her intention is to discourage anyone from sailing NCL> Read her previous posts: she indicates she has been on many NCL cruises and even suggests she is a platinum member, do her negative remarks make sense? NOPE

Edited by newmexicoNita

Very strange! I've dined at Moderno three times (three different ships) and that's never been the case. What the heck are they doing on the Jewel?

We have only twice, but like you: it was nothing but an amazing experience and well worth the $20 when you know how much Brazilian steak houses are on land. We are going to reserve earlier in our cruise this next time. Both other times we have done it at the end; by that time we are so tired of food, we don't get the entire benefit of a really good and fun meal.

Pray tell: when was the last time you were on an NCL cruise. Do they serve meatloaf, yep and so do most of the cruises we have been on, but on that same night will be 3 or 4 other choices and not what you get at Denny's, plus they always have steak, salmon and chicken breast available. They have Cesar salad and baked potatoes every night, and you can request almost any veggie you want. They will have it. As for 2 hours, we have only had a 2 hour dinner once and yes, the service sucked that night. We have dined just the 2 or us or with as many as 12, except for that night, we have had good to outstanding service. I expect dinner to take at least an hour, that is what we are used to in a decent restaurant and on every ship. We have found much worst service on a couple other cruise lines.

BTW, they have not cut back on the number of crew members they have. I am guessing either you had one bad experience on an NCL ship and are judging all cruises by that one or you really have never cruised NCL. It seems you and regular mass market lines are not for each other.

Darn, just saw a copy of the 2013 menus: they do not include meatloaf listed on any night: can you tell me which night they offer it? I don't want to miss my chance to try someone elses.

Darn, just saw a copy of the 2013 menus: they do not include meatloaf listed on any night: can you tell me which night they offer it? I don't want to miss my chance to try someone elses.

Oh I couldn't find any, do you mind posting the link for those. All I could find was before the new menus came out. Not that I really care about meatloaf but my DH loves it, he will be saddened for sure. ;) :D

Edited by che5904

I don't remember seeing meatloaf on recent MDR menus, in Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehan's it should be available though. :)

I don't remember seeing meatloaf on recent MDR menus, in Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehan's it should be available though. :)

I think someone missed my sarcasm. No, they don't have meatloaf. A few years ago they did but I was responding to the poster who claimed they had things like meatloaf and pot pie. I was checking messages about a page back and someone did post the 2013 menus. I will see if I can find it.

I think someone missed my sarcasm. No, they don't have meatloaf. A few years ago they did but I was responding to the poster who claimed they had things like meatloaf and pot pie. I was checking messages about a page back and someone did post the 2013 menus. I will see if I can find it.

Well as much as it pains me to admit it, LMB was absolutely right in what they said - there is pot pie and meatlaof available on food venues included in cruise price. They didn't claim that it would be in MDR.

We have a place here in the Boston area that specializes in chicken pot pies. It is "Harrows". If the cruise ships could serve similar and keep the quality, I for one would have it a couple times.

Plus a very well made and good tasting meat loaf is an awesome dinner. But to get that taste and quality on ship may be quite hard to do.

Well as much as it pains me to admit it, LMB was absolutely right in what they said - there is pot pie and meatlaof available on food venues included in cruise price. They didn't claim that it would be in MDR.

Yes she did: she referred over and over, in more than one posting, entrees in the main dining room consisted of things like meatloaf and pot pie. This would be like saying: expect buffalo wings and fish and chips for dinner, without clarifying that is what is served in Blue Lagoon. Go back and read it over again.

Yes she did: she referred over and over, in more than one posting, entrees in the main dining room consisted of things like meatloaf and pot pie. This would be like saying: expect buffalo wings and fish and chips for dinner, without clarifying that is what is served in Blue Lagoon. Go back and read it over again.

I did. They posted in this thread only twice (not over and over again) and only their first post said anything about dishes being served. While that single post possibly was meant maliciously to imply something between the lines, they never actually said that MDRs served that food, just that included venues serve food like that - which is technically correct. I'd say that exactly that is LMB's M.O. - to formulate their message in a way that is (usually) technically correct but causes controversy because others here disagree (also called trolling but most internet trolls usually don't use factual statements, nevertheless the point is to create controversy).

Don't take me wrong, I don't like LMB's posting style and attitude any more than most others here, but exaggerating and bashing them just because you decide to assume something that is not written in the first place is just wrong and needless to say, futile. Just as well I could say that you seem to always rush in to replying to threads after reading just the first post (or whichever post might be the one that you feel the urgency to respond to) even though sometimes there are already dozens of messages worth of discussion about the matter that you completely ignore and restart the discussion from the beginning - just like in this thread feeding the troll even more.

I did. They posted in this thread only twice (not over and over again) and only their first post said anything about dishes being served. While that single post possibly was meant maliciously to imply something between the lines, they never actually said that MDRs served that food, just that included venues serve food like that - which is technically correct. I'd say that exactly that is LMB's M.O. - to formulate their message in a way that is (usually) technically correct but causes controversy because others here disagree (also called trolling but most internet trolls usually don't use factual statements, nevertheless the point is to create controversy).

Don't take me wrong, I don't like LMB's posting style and attitude any more than most others here, but exaggerating and bashing them just because you decide to assume something that is not written in the first place is just wrong and needless to say, futile. Just as well I could say that you seem to always rush in to replying to threads after reading just the first post (or whichever post might be the one that you feel the urgency to respond to) even though sometimes there are already dozens of messages worth of discussion about the matter that you completely ignore and restart the discussion from the beginning - just like in this thread feeding the troll even more.

sorry you see my responses that way, I think I will just drop it for now. This is getting us nowhere. yes, sometimes I do read just the ops posting, sometimes I read all the responses. I think most of us do this. It pretty much depends on how long the thread has gotten and how strongly we might feel about an issue.

No need to wonder. Take a cruise or two and you will find out it usually IS really that slow.

You really are the master of out of context pot shots. You know very well that the speed of service is always tailored to the passengers request/needs.

Is it really necessary to misinform people and attempt to tear down NCL? What did NCL do to you to set you upon this nasty crusade?:confused:

Edited by Beaver1975

No secret answer . Started out that way on day one here . Negative .

Sometimes a stick is just a stick. ;)

He has been a few other identities, prior to this one, with the same anti-NCL proclivities.

Edited by Beaver1975