Ocho Rios Sugestions

pajazz28

I am visiting Ocho Rios in January. Can you please give me information on any of the following:

Good restaurants near the port?

Beach near the port and how to get there on your own?

Best Mayan site to visit?

Any activities in walking distance from the port?

I am visiting Ocho Rios in January. Can you please give me information on any of the following:

Good restaurants near the port?

Beach near the port and how to get there on your own?

Best Mayan site to visit?

Any activities in walking distance from the port?

You may want to look at Irie Blue Hole (aka the Secret Falls). If time permits, have a look at the Fire Water and the Enchanted Gardens (I believe it is called something else now, but can't remember the name off hand). Liberty Tours has been suggested before, and I can recommend them quite happily.

If you are looking for a beach, I can't recommend any as I am not a beach person. I would not recommend venturing out on your own, unless you are happy to be hassled by the local vendors and know how to deal with them.

If you do decide to go via a local taxi and not via a private tour guide, just remember to look for the red license plate and the JTB sticker in the window. But I do recommend hiring a private tour guide and Liberty Tours is my recommendation, based on my personal experience.

Regarding Mayan Ruins, you will need to visit somewhere like Cozumel.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO Cozumel is not a very good place to visit the Mayan Ruins, either-you CAN get to Tulum by taking a ferry ride across to the mainland, but you will have a better experience either in Progresso (Western Carib-Yucatan peninsula) or Belize-perhaps Costa Maya. Not sure what other ports you are visiting . . .

My husband and I went to Dunn's river falls. It was great! I recommend doing an excursion, either through the ship or private. Not walking around on your own. The people will come up to you and pressure you to buy their goods and some ask if you want drugs. They are very pushy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just walked around nearby. Head left when you get off the boat. There are several places on the right side of the road. I didn't eat there. Quite a ways down on the left is a place that looks like a homeless camp enclosed with tall chain link fence. This is where the cheapest souvenirs are. There's also a grocery store in the shopping center down there on the left just off the street. I bought shot glasses for $1 each and bottled water for .59 each. Don't let the price tags that say $100 fool you, the exchange rate is 100-1.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/13/14

Carnival Splendor 11/1/14

I also recommend Liberty Tours Jamaica, as this was the highlight of our cruise to Secret Falls. They are professionals that will keep you safe and take you away from the ship crowds, and touristy areas, add 100 % adventure to your life that you have never experienced before. Very satisfied with Liberty Tours Jamaica.