P&O next for us

welcome janny...you've picked a great ship for your 1st thoms experience, spirit always seems to get very favourable reports on here, hope you will enjoy:cool:

sorry to hear of your less than rosy p&o experience....I'm off on ventura for the 1st time on saturday:eek:;)

agree on fiddle and twacecloth guys...I like facebook, i like it a bit.....great for keeping up with (real) friends, I always know where they really are (and who they are really with)...all their pics are gps/time tagged....very handy if you have teenagers ;)....but I draw the line at joining facebook groups just to chat with complete strangers....wait??..:confused:...oh you know what i mean:)

at least on here I dont have to share my age/likes/dislikes/where I went to school/work/when i am away from my address/how youcan locate my boss and tell him what I said about him/ate for breakfast etc etc

That's good to know geomagot that we are going on a great ship.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time on the Ventura. The "negatives" that I pointed out were minor "niggles" but put all together showed how P&O were changing and I also think that the "probs" will have been rectified.

Have a wonderful cruise

• 2 weeks later...

After cruising with Thomson for the last 3 years we have also gone back to P&O for next year. Little things with Thomson such as the extra charge for settling your on board account with credit card, cost of safes but mainly the repetitive quizzes and game shows have encouraged us to try another line again. The new P&O promotion has certainly helped aswell. 10 nights on Oriana in inside cabin £599 with free coach travel from Newcastle worth £121 each and also £75 each obc means even booking 10 month in advance we are only looking at just over £400 for the actual cruise. On top of this we have our portunis discount on our on board spend so really happy at the moment.

This thread is making for interesting reading. The price comparisons and offers say a great deal about the over capacity in general and out of Southampton in particular - especially over the winter months.

But the failure of Thomson to grasp the nettle re a loyalty scheme (not these little perks which you may or may not get - and which will be chosen for you to receive - perhaps) does impact on the decisions made by some cruisers' like robanddiane.

It will be an on-going issue for Thomson especially if people feel others are receiving something they are not. Whatever Thomson decide to do, or not, I believe it is in their interests far more than mine to be consistent and transparent. Otherwise I believe their current approach will be worse than nothing at all. If passengers feel resentful about real or perceived slights in terms of the operation of a 'reward' for their custom then it's likely to be counter-productive imo.

On the other theme about this forum, yes it is quiet on here but I share many of your views about the other sites. I love the exchange on here of information, the insights into itineraries/ports of call, the up to date news and reviews of the ships as well as the great light relief and friendliness. This suits me well enough.

And it is a supportive and friendly site - it is rare that there is any unpleasantness and I must say I've almost always found that even in reporting the odd negative view other members have been very accepting of those opinions. Often it's how things are said which can cause offence but it's true to say that I see little evidence of flaming on here such as described on some forums. So unnecessary especially when criticisms are put into context and justified.

janny - I hope you will really enjoy the warmth and friendliness of Spirit - you know of course that the ship isn't new and all-singing all-singing but my goodness there are many other pluses. Enjoy! :)

Thank you kruzseeka...I am sure we will enjoy the ship even though it isn't all singing all dancing and not as "up to date" as what we have previously cruised on. Sometimes the larger ships can be too much "singing and dancing".I like the idea of sailing from a local port...Liverpool... and the fact that there is only one sea day out of a seven day cruise. Also the itinerary looks very interesting.

Thank you kruzseeka...I am sure we will enjoy the ship even though it isn't all singing all dancing and not as "up to date" as what we have previously cruised on. Sometimes the larger ships can be too much "singing and dancing".I like the idea of sailing from a local port...Liverpool... and the fact that there is only one sea day out of a seven day cruise. Also the itinerary looks very interesting.

Well the ship might not be all singing, all dancing but the show team certainly are: the difference between Thomson and P&O in terms of the entertainment package is marked. After two shows each night (except for the guest act one night per week) the show team will do late night cabarets and/or deck parties - it's a much livelier and fun atmosphere whilst still offering the contrast of say classical musicians too. I do hope you enjoy your first Thomson cruise - from what you say I think you will - smaller and friendly ships have a lot to offer in ambience and warmth. And as you point out, the port intensive itineraries take some beating.

Hi all.. Happy New Year.

We came back from Oceana on Sunday, will do a full review later.

Kruzseeka, you are spot on as always.

We missed the fun, lively element that Thomson ships have. 12.30am Christmas day and the ship was dead, they were all tucked up in bed :eek:This is no party ship...

The showteam probably work about a quarter of what the Thomson guys do. On some nights they had a caberet act in the Lounge and a film on in the Theatre, come on, I can stay at home and watch a film....

We had a good time but are glad to be back on the Majesty in April.