Crystal caves/Bermuda

joyous

Could someone who has been there please tell me about the steps. Going on Crystal Serenity in Nov. with an overnite in Bermuda. There is a shore ex that includes the Crystal Caves and the description says there are 80+ steps. I just need to know how difficult they are to climb, handrails? etc. Not sure whether I can do the steps or not. joyous

stairs can be a problem for someone who is elderly or has poor knees/legs. yes there are handrails, as the previous poster said.

some parts are less well lit than others. still interesting to see. have fun!

Thanks for the info. I made it out of the Catacombs in Rome but with difficulty. Didn't count the stairs. I do have arthritic knees but I am a "young" 70 yr. old. Just wondering if it is worth it, but it is the only shore ex that goes to St. Georges and I do want to see that. Joyous

Thanks for the info. I made it out of the Catacombs in Rome but with difficulty. Didn't count the stairs. I do have arthritic knees but I am a "young" 70 yr. old. Just wondering if it is worth it, but it is the only shore ex that goes to St. Georges and I do want to see that. Joyous

We recently went to Bermuda and visited the Crystal Caves. I have serious osteoarthritis in both knees and have trouble walking up and down stairs, etc. Although there were 80 steps, the pace was slow enough. It was a gradual decline and then back up. Also, there were hand rails and some places to sit, so I made it with no trouble at all.

We did not go on the ship tour. We took the bus, so we had to walk back and forth to the road - and that was quite a hike.

You won't have a problem. And I thought that it was well worth the visit.

Thanks so much for the detailed information. Have prereserved the shore ex knowing that I could cancel if I needed to. I appreciate hearing first hand from someone with my problems. We are looking forward to a 2nd Serenity cruise and our 15th Crystal. Just love those crossings and sea days! Joyous

Thank you Swizzle. Your help on these boards is invaluable. In your opinion what would be better to do, go to the caves first and then the aquarium or the other way around? We are going to be in Hamilton that day. Where exactly are the caves? I thought they were by Baileys Bay and right on the pass of the 10-11 buses. Are they north or south of Flatts Village? Sorry to be a pain, but I can’t go anywhere unless I can see it on a map. I’m off to Barnes & Noble to buy a better map of Bermuda; I couldn’t find a detailed one on the Internet. :D

In your opinion what would be better to do, go to the caves first and then the aquarium or the other way around? We are going to be in Hamilton that day. Where exactly are the caves? I thought they were by Baileys Bay and right on the pass of the 10-11 buses. Are they north or south of Flatts Village?

The caves are on the opposite side of Harrington Sound from the Aquarium, and thus are miles east of Flatts Village. The caves are just south of the bridge that connects the airport to the main island. Which is why they are close, but not on, the 10-11 route.

For which one of aquarium/caves to see first it's up to you. Some people take the 10-11 to the Aquarium then once they're done continue on the 10-11 to the Swizzle Inn, have lunch, then walk to the Caves. Others take the 1 or 3 to the Caves, have lunch at the Caves or Swizzle, then take the 10-11 to the Aquarium. Allow yourself 2-3 hours for the Aquarium so you can wander around at a leisurely pace. It is not a huge facility so you won't be there all day. If you want to have dinner in St Georges then do the Aquarium first followed by the Caves.

Travel time by bus: Hamilton to Aquarium ~15 minutes

Aquarium to Swizzle ~15 minutes

Swizzle,

I am new to these boards but am already hearing of your reputation as the one to go to with Bermuda questions, so here goes.......We are on the Voyager arriving in Bermuda for 2 days, 8/9 & 8/10. We will be docking in the Dockyards and want to get to the Crystal Caves and then maybe onto Horseshoe Beach the same day or maybe the next...what would you say would be the easiest/quickest way to get from the Dockyards to the Crystal Caves and either straight back to the Dockyards or stopping at Horseshoe on the way back? Help! I too like need to have a plan of action prior to arrival and am unsure which mode (taxi, bus, ferry, or combination of these) is the best.

Hmmmm. Dockyard to Caves: take the ferry to Hamilton, then either grab a bus (#1, 3, 10 or 11 as described above) or take a cab (~$20-25 for up to four people). If you take the bus buy a day pass as it will make the rest of the trip on bus much easier.

Caves to Horseshoe: Take the #1 bus to the Hospital (ask the driver to let you know when you get there, and tell them it's because you're going to Horseshoe Bay). Get off the bus and cross the street to the bus stop with the blue pole. Wait for the #7 to come along, it will take you to Horseshoe.

Most #7 buses continue to Dockyard (the bus will say "#7 Dockyard") in which case if you just want to go back to Dockyard you can stay on it. Alternatively to get from the Caves to Dockyard just reverse the route you took to get to the Caves.

Be sure to have a bus schedule with you - you wouldn't want to wait for a bus only to find out the next one is in an hour. ;)

Swizzle, Since you live in Bermuda, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. My husband and I will be in Bermuda the 8th and 9th of November. Would it be too cold to consider doing a catamaran/snorkel excursion? I appreciate any opinions you might have.

Swizzle, you have such great info!!! I too want to go from the dockyards to the caves to Horseshoe Bay. Do you know how early you can start out? What I'm mean is I would like to get to the caves as early as possible so I can have alot of time at Horseshoe Bay. Also, where do you get a bus schedule? I too would appreciate your advice! :D

Wow, lots of questions on this thread :D

bus and ferry schedules can be found easily once you land, and maybe even on your ship. If you would like to plan ahead of time www.bermudabuses.com and www.seaexpress.bm are the websites for the buses and ferries respectively.

2VaCruisers, the sea temperature in early November will be in the low to mid 70s. Go to www.weather.bm and click on 'climate data' for deatiled weather and temperature information going back 4-5 years so you can review what the weather was like in past Novembers.

Archived