Permission letter for traveling w/ children

We have a divorced friend that will be going on a cruise with us in October. He is taking his children. I know he has to have some sort of letter from his ex-wife in order for him to take his kids. What does the letter need to say? I think it should say something like this:

I, (children's mother's name), give (children's father's name) permission to take

(child's name) & (child's name) on a cruise to Nassau, Bahamas on (to and from dates of cruise).

Signed by mother and notorized?

Does this sound right?

Thanks for your help

Kay

That sounds great and almost exactly what mine said. I took one... but was never asked for it. I had it just in case. As long as ONE parent is with the children, they don't seem to ask many questions. I would, however, take one just in case!!!!! Have a great cruise!!!!!

Thanks for the letter. I just booked the Mariner in January. I will be taking my 10 year old nephew. He has been begging for years to go on a cruise with me (the aunt) and my mother (his grandma). He doesn't know it yet.

I don't have kids of my own. Took him to Disney 2 years ago. These cruise will be lots of fun. Now I just have to research and learn about the kids program.

--Shelly

Shelly, my kids were 8 and 10 when we cruised with them. RCCL's children's program is one of the reasons we will sail with them again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!!! They do so many fun things with the kids. Do a search on here and you will see many postings about the hours and the activities. If you don't find the info with a search... ask... you will get the answers. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Thought this might be useful here - if the adult and the minor child have different last names they WILL ask for a consent form. I took my then 15 year old niece on Monarch two years ago and they did ask at check in. I had printed out a form pretty much identical to the one Linda linked to and both my brother and his wife signed it and had it notarized. They also added their own medical directive for a special circumstance particular to my niece.

BTW, she had a great time!

Julie

I have 2 sons and one has a different last name then I do. The last cruise I went on I did have letters of constent for them to travel with me out of the USA and I was with my boyfriend who had his 2 kids and also had a letter from his ex. No-one asked for them. In all the trips I've taken with my kids I've yet to have anyone ask me for a letter - but I would still bring one just in case - better safe then sorry. The letter does need to be Notarized.

Ok, I have cruised four times with my kids on RCCL and not once have I been asked for a letter. Our last names ARE different. Just this month, we also cruised with an 19 yr old friend and we signed the consent form for him to drink beer & wine...we were not asked for any letter from parents giving him permission. That being said...we DID take notorized permission letters from both our friend's parents and our minor daughter's father. Better safe than sorry. I just think it is interesting that there are such varying experiences regarding this.

Thanks for all the replys. I did use the letter that Linda suggested. One other question I had. Does it matter that the date of the letter is 3 months before the cruise? I don't think so because when I did the letter I stated the dates they would be gone. One reason he is going ahead to get her to sign it (and have notorized) is if for some reason after he pays the balance of the cruise, she won't say they can't go. Is that clear as mud???Thanks

Kay

Thanks for all the replys. I did use the letter that Linda suggested. I do have one other question. Does it matter that the letter will be dated 3 months before the cruise? I do have in the letter the dates of the cruise.

Thanks again,

Kay

My DW and I have taken friends of our DD and have never been asked for the letter. But I have always worked under the assumption - that it is better to take one than be turned away at boarding because you do not have it.

If something happens - then it is even more critical as it states who is authorized to permit medical or other needed care.

Don't leave home without it.

Archived