Red Stripe Beach for Families?

hazeleyes35

Thanks for the info! Would you have felt comfortable taking a 2 yr old there? Were there other kids there around that age?

Also, are the buses that you catch at the port inside of the gates? I keep hearing about not going outside of the gates at Falmouth. I have been to Jamaica twice on land vacations and love it but now that we have a kid I have become the overprotective mother!

Yes I think you could take your child with no problem. There were a few kids there and they were dancing and playing games etc....

The water is really calm too so you could taking them in the water.

The pick up was within the gates of the Falmouth port...Very easy to get to and very safe.

Red Stripe beach is very remote...You will pull up to this gate and you go on this gravel road with like a swamp looking area, but when you get to the beach area it is just awesome and beautiful!

Enjoy...

Are there bathrooms at Red Stripe beach?

Yes they have a couple newer looking structures built. One is a changing room and they have an outside shower to rinse off the sand. The other is a bathroom and it was clean and served it's purpose and the toilets flushed fine. No worries...

Does anyone know if you could just take a taxi to the beach? Is the $28 tour price just for transportation or is something else included? People have reported $5 extra for a chair. Just wondering why one could not take a taxi?

Does anyone know if you could just take a taxi to the beach? Is the $28 tour price just for transportation or is something else included? People have reported $5 extra for a chair. Just wondering why one could not take a taxi?

I have not been there yet, but have read that Red Stripe is a gated beach privately leased by RCI, and as such, is only available via ship based excursion.

Doesn't mean that is correct, but is something I have seen/read on these forums. :confused:

Dan.

I agree...I never saw any taxi's at all..Just shuttle's provided by the cruise line. The $28 was your transportation and admission into the private beach.

The chairs are $5 and they had deals if you bought a bucket of Red Stripe.

What I liked was that no vendors could bother you at all..There was a couple set up at the end of the one side of the beach if you wanted to go down there, but they could not walk along and try and sell you anything.

I really think this is the only close safe beach option on this side of Jamaica. We did not want a 30 or 45 min bus ride to the other side of the island. Thought about MyTimeNplace, but it was getting some shaddy reviews about transportation and thought no thanks...Wanna be sure I am getting back to the ship on time:)

We were very happy with our day here at Red Stripe beach..Last week at this very moment I was lying in my beach chair enjoying the warm ocean breezes and now I am back in STL with 6 degrees this morning!! bummer!

I booked this excursion for our upcoming cruise on the Independence. I did not have a choice of times. Funny thing is, we dock at 8am, and the excursion time is listed as 7:30. Not sure yet how that works. :D

The Allure is in port the same day, but comes in a couple hours after us. I'm guessing we will be all setup with our chairs prior to it getting too crowded. ;)

Dan.

Well, it appears that someone at RCI figured out their goof up on our excursion/docking times. I received an email yesterday stating that due to our port arrival time, our excursion is now at 10:30. Looks like we might not beat the Allure after all, and may be even getting combined with them.

On a related/unrelated note: What time do the shops open up in the port area at Falmouth? Looks like our shopping might have to occur before our excursion now if possible.

Dan.

Well, it appears that someone at RCI figured out their goof up on our excursion/docking times. I received an email yesterday stating that due to our port arrival time, our excursion is now at 10:30. Looks like we might not beat the Allure after all, and may be even getting combined with them.

On a related/unrelated note: What time do the shops open up in the port area at Falmouth? Looks like our shopping might have to occur before our excursion now if possible.

Dan.

Shops were open when we got off last week around 9am...I would just go to the shuttle stop early and see if you can get one to Red Stripe beach.They did not even look at the times and they had one leave right at 9:30am...

You will be fine if you get out there around 10:30. Seemed like it did not start getting crowded till after noon.

We were with Oasis and I was worried about that , but it turned out ok...

Shops were open when we got off last week around 9am...I would just go to the shuttle stop early and see if you can get one to Red Stripe beach.They did not even look at the times and they had one leave right at 9:30am...

You will be fine if you get out there around 10:30. Seemed like it did not start getting crowded till after noon.

We were with Oasis and I was worried about that , but it turned out ok...

Thanks a bunch! :)

Dan.