Western vs. Eastern Caribbean

tipfamily

Which route would be best to take for a first time cruise? I have decided to sail the Valor in May or June of 2006 and originally booked the Eastern Caribbean but now after seeing a thread on favorite ports, I am contemplating changing to the Western Caribbean. I really am up for excursions but also want some time to explore the ship and relax in the sun. So, what would you recommend for a first time cruise? Thanks.

:rolleyes:

I've never cruised the Eastern Caribbean but I have been to several of the ports visited by cruise ships on that route. For a first time cruiser, I would suggest the Western Carribbean. Having cruised there in 2003 and again two months ago . . . I can tell you first hand that all of the ports there were fantastic. If you do decide to cruise Western . . . must dos are swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel and snorkling with stingrays in Belize and Grand Cayman (once in a lifetime experiences). :)

I usually recommend the Western Caribbean to my first-timers. Those ports-of-call offer so much variety in excursions and it is an exciting itinerary. I also find that first-timers haven't fully developed an appreciation for days at sea. They still think that cruising is primarily a mode of transport.

I also love the Eastern Caribbean but feel that it is a bit more relaxed and often includes more sea days. That works for me!

It really depends on the client and what they want. But often the Western is a better fit for first-timers.

I am taking my first cruise on the Eastern Carib. on HAL in October and plan to take a Western at the end of January on Carnival. I wanted a calmer cruise with English speaking peoples for my first cruise to ease into the cruising experience, then follow up with a little roudier experience with a change of cultures once I had the cruising experience a little under my belt.

Eastern and Western both have so much to offer that you can't go wrong with either. My family personally likes the Eastern because we love St Thomas and St Marteen. If you are interested in the Eastern next June, I am trying to get a Cruise Critic group cruise formed for June 2006 on either the Valor or the Glory. I am needing people to respond to my post so I can show Cruise Critic that I have enough people that are showing interest that they will give us a quote. The prices are usually cheaper doing this, plus there are shipboard credits and extra perks that they will give us. No comittment to respond, just helps us get the wheels rolling for quotes.

Link to ATTN: Summer Cruisers Cruise Critic group forming for June 2006 is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=202836

The west has more active type things to do, like walking Dunns falls, cave tubing in Belize.

The east has some gorgeous islands, like St. John, which you can access from St. Thomas.

I slightly prefer west, but I am getting tired of Cozumel and will go to the east next time.

In the east, I don't like Nassau and I like San Juan if given the opportunity to tour El Morro fort (if you like the Pirates of the Carribean, you know what I am talking about!).

In the west, the only port I didn't like was Progresso.

Another difference is that you are more likely to tender in the west than the east.Grand Cayman is nice, but it seems to have the greatest chance of being cancelled because of tide and weather. Also, as nice as is St. Thomas is, if you are there when there are a some Voyager class and other ships, it can get verrrrrry crowded! Oh, and I think that the east is more likley to get hurricanes in the fall and the west is more likley in the summer (I don't remember) . As you can see, they all have pros and cons.

I personally would do Eastern Caribbean.

I think the ports of St. Maarten and St. Thomas are much nicer than those offered on Western Caribbean Cruises. I have done the Western Caribbean twice and the Eastern Caribbean once. The Eastern route still stands out for me.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm still so undecided. I really want to go snorkeling (first time), swim with dolphins and stingrays, tubing (if we decide for the Western) and have fun on the ship. Does anybody know if there are places to swim with dolphins and stingrays on the Eastern Caribbean route? I'm not much for laying out in the sun but I love to walk along the beach. I'm also not the type to do shopping or taking tours. I know whatever we do will be such an escape from our everyday routine that no matter what it is it will be like living in paradise!! Thanks again for all the suggestions! :D

If you really want to go snorkeling, then do the Western route. I find the snorkeling on the Western to be better than the islands in the Eastern (other than St. John). Chankanaab Park in Cozumel is a great place for beginners. That's where I learned to snorkel and have been hooked ever since. Never take a Caribbean vacation without my snorkel gear!

Archived