Just off Jewel of the Seas

mein18

The WJ (buffet) on RCI ships has always closed at 9:00-9:30PM. Depending on the ship, there are other venues that offer food later in the evening.

Since when? Every other RC cruise we've taken, the buffet is always open late. I was SO disappointed in the choices available after 9pm. I know there is always room service, but that isn't what we were looking for.

OLD GIRL is what I called the ship because, knwoing she is not old by age, we felt that she was showing her age with the condition of some of the venues and furniture.

Edited by jt1120

Since when? Every other RC cruise we've taken, the buffet is always open late. I was SO disappointed in the choices available after 9pm. I know there is always room service, but that isn't what we were looking for.

From my experience, Windjammer has closed around 9pm for at least the last 5 years.

I have never seen the WJ open later than 9:00'or 9:30 except in the "old" days when they would have a special buffet. One can get food 24/7 with no charge, just not a complete menu. The Solarium is open from. 11pm to 5am, which is when the nonsuite room service charge is lifted.

PS we got a Diamonds in December diamond last night for being #2. And it's dated 2013.:D Still haven't seen a calendar but did get our entry into the free Quantum cruise.

Edited by critterchick

You are the first of all the passengers we have spoken (30+ at least) to who was happy with the food in the MDR and especially the lobster. We quickly found out why the MDR was empty most of the nights.

You must have been on the wrong week then, or maybe we were on the right week, because everyone we talked to (at our table and elsewhere) loved the MDR food.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Concierge Lounge on Deck 10 totally enclosed or are there windows that look out to sea? It looks like it is right next to the glass elevators so I am hoping it has windows.

Do they serve hors d'oeuvres at night with the cocktails and continental breakfast in the morning?

When you went to the overflow in Vortex you said it was empty. Was that empty of guests or totally empty with no bartenders?

Thank you for all your info.

Is the Concierge Lounge on Deck 10 totally enclosed or are there windows that look out to sea? It looks like it is right next to the glass elevators so I am hoping it has windows.

Do they serve hors d'oeuvres at night with the cocktails and continental breakfast in the morning?

When you went to the overflow in Vortex you said it was empty. Was that empty of guests or totally empty with no bartenders?

There is a wall of windows in the current Jewel CL. They also serve hot/cold snacks during the nightly cocktail hour, and Continental Breakfast for a couple of hours in the morning.

Just be sure to get to the CL at least 20 minutes prior to opening or you will not get a seat. A few get there early and save all the seats. The current concierge she will ignore your precense and bartender tells you to go out and sit in centrum. Most at that point just grab a drink and take back to their room.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Since when?

Since FOREVER. We mainly eat in the WJ on every cruise and always have to rush to get to the WJ by say 8:30ish as they really do start cleaning up around 8:50, taking trays away. I really believe they should leave the buffet open until at least 10.

I also don't think there are enough venues open on some ships with decent food after 9. So if we don't make it to WJ in time, we are out of luck.

Just be sure to get to the CL at least 20 minutes prior to opening or you will not get a seat. A few get there early and save all the seats. The current concierge she will ignore your precense and bartender tells you to go out and sit in centrum. Most at that point just grab a drink and take back to their room.

Does the Hollywood Odyssey [overflow for the CL] have the same offerings. If its quiet, has a bartender and some snacks, all's good for us!!:D

When I sailed Brilliance the concierge did not have drinks in the lounge at all. The cocktail hours were up in the HO. The concierge-Anis would be on deck 10 if you needed him and the bartenders were up in the lounge. That was such a great system. no one ever did not have a seat so I can not imagine why the Jewel has not given that a try.:confused: Coffee was available 24/7 so for those who do not drink but wanted a coffee-easy peasy!!;)

FYI coffee is only available in the CL with continental breakfast. All other times they only have esspresso and capacinno when the machine works. Not regular coffee.

Vortex (where the Diamond Event was held) offerred hot and cold munchies, a bartender and several servers, but almost no passengers. Yet the servers still managed to forget to bring us our drinks, so we just went across to the Hollywood Odyssey (CL overflow), got them from Victor, who was terrific, and brought them back. We had friends who are Diamond and wanted to spend time with them. HO had 2 to 30 guests at any time we were up there.

Does the Hollywood Odyssey [overflow for the CL] have the same offerings. If its quiet, has a bartender and some snacks, all's good for us!!:D

When I sailed Brilliance the concierge did not have drinks in the lounge at all. The cocktail hours were up in the HO. The concierge-Anis would be on deck 10 if you needed him and the bartenders were up in the lounge. That was such a great system. no one ever did not have a seat so I can not imagine why the Jewel has not given that a try.:confused: Coffee was available 24/7 so for those who do not drink but wanted a coffee-easy peasy!!;)

Yes, all of the same offerings in HO as in the CL.

We did find the CL to be packed every night before early seating, and with plenty of room after 6:00. But of the three locations, IMO it's the least attractive and comfortable of the three options, so we were quite content to head upstairs. Unless one needs to Concierge's help for something, there's no reason to deal with the crowd.

If they are going to serve the same items in the HO and Vortex, I don't see why they don't combine the DE and CL overflow into a single venue. That would free up a public space for the rest of the passengers to enjoy.

Edited by critterchick

Do you happen to know if Jewel has the Royal Babies® & Royal Tots® program? It shows on the RC site they it does. I was just looking for confirmation. The other ships were getting this "upgrade" on the next dry dock but Jewel does not get her freshening up until 2016. Thank you for your assistance.

Yes, all of the same offerings in HO as in the CL.

We did find the CL to be packed every night before early seating, and with plenty of room after 6:00. But of the three locations, IMO it's the least attractive and comfortable of the three options, so we were quite content to head upstairs. Unless one needs to Concierge's help for something, there's no reason to deal with the crowd.

Thank you and perfect. We'll be heading upstairs!!:)

Is there an Espresso or cappuccino machine available for Diamond members in the morning, similar to on Freedom/Oasis class ships ? If so, where? Thanks for the information.

Not on Jewel yet. Closest thing would the the Diamond breakfast in the MDR.