Best dog sledding company for rescheduling that day

sherylc

My family will be doing an inside passage tour mid June and going to Juneau then Skagway as part of it. My teenage girls really want to go dog-sledding (which my hubby and I did in Skagway 10 years ago). I know these tours are the most sold out. I have heard book in first port to give you an option of second port if first sells out, but I don't want to actually book dog sledding for 4 in both ports and have to pay a cancellation fee if we make it in Juneau. I have heard very mixed reviews on going with first tour vs waiting until afternoon for possible fog to blow off. I still haven't seen any real recommendations between the 3 companies out of Juneau and Temsco is not willing to work as one company between their Juneau/Skagway offices to offer any advantage of booking a dog sled tour and a glacier walk (what we also would like to do). So to the question: Do any of the dog sledding operations in Juneau make more of an effort to reschedule a trip versus just cancelling if the am trip gets weather cancelled? Also is one glacier or another less likely to be weather cancelled (dog camp base glaciers). We prefer to book independently. Thanks!!!

I would like to know this answer as well, it's too expensive to book both ports. Can I add another question, if we book in Juneau and it gets cancelled and maybe want to do the glacier hike, is that usually full up to, or what other options can we do that would be open

With thousands of cruise passengers in each port each day, it is logistically difficult to reschedule vs. cancel. If you book a morning tour and it is canceled, chances are there are no slots available in the afternoon since they are already booked by other cruise passengers. Best is to book in the first port you arrive into and if it gets canceled, get on the phone immediately to see if it might work in the next port. A day in advance might (or might not) make a difference vs. trying to rebook the same day in the same port.

My family will be doing an inside passage tour mid June and going to Juneau then Skagway as part of it. My teenage girls really want to go dog-sledding (which my hubby and I did in Skagway 10 years ago). I know these tours are the most sold out. I have heard book in first port to give you an option of second port if first sells out, but I don't want to actually book dog sledding for 4 in both ports and have to pay a cancellation fee if we make it in Juneau. I have heard very mixed reviews on going with first tour vs waiting until afternoon for possible fog to blow off. I still haven't seen any real recommendations between the 3 companies out of Juneau and Temsco is not willing to work as one company between their Juneau/Skagway offices to offer any advantage of booking a dog sled tour and a glacier walk (what we also would like to do). So to the question: Do any of the dog sledding operations in Juneau make more of an effort to reschedule a trip versus just cancelling if the am trip gets weather cancelled? Also is one glacier or another less likely to be weather cancelled (dog camp base glaciers). We prefer to book independently. Thanks!!!

IF this is a priority tour- then, as I have already mentioned, book it at your first opportunity. There is NO way to predict any weather for that particular day, book where it works the best for your overall port time. "Morning" is NOT any worse/better than any other time. I have flown the first trip out, many times, and had clear skies. All 3 Juneau companies do a good job with their tours. They have all been in business for years. Not sure why you think TEMSCO, shouldn't be operating as they do. There is nothing to "work" with. Time is money.

There are only so many seats and times for tours. IF any company can rebook you, they will. But they aren't going to have another helicopter in the garage or double book seats. Another reason, I suggest, you have alternative phone numbers, and you, call for any open seats left in the next port.

Not sure what you mean by your "sells out" reference? IF tours are sold out, then you aren't going to be subject to any booking where there are cancelation fees.

I'm not sure you understood my exact question. I am planning on booking in Juneau (our first stop.) My thought is that a company could take 2 approaches to my 10 am dog sledding tour having a weather issue -- "Sorry, here is your money back. No other options in this port." versus "Sorry we can't make it at 10 am but if the weather opens up later this afternoon, I will try to accommodate you." I am asking whether any of the Juneau companies are known for the latter response rather than the former. My comment about Temsco was that if their Juneau dog sledding is cancelled I might be offered a glacier trip but would still have to pay their cancellation fees for that glacier trip in Skagway if I didn't want to do it twice. The two Temsco companies in Skagway and Juneau act as completely different companies so no real benefit of staying exclusively with them.

I'm not sure you understood my exact question. I am planning on booking in Juneau (our first stop.) My thought is that a company could take 2 approaches to my 10 am dog sledding tour having a weather issue -- "Sorry, here is your money back. No other options in this port." versus "Sorry we can't make it at 10 am but if the weather opens up later this afternoon, I will try to accommodate you." I am asking whether any of the Juneau companies are known for the latter response rather than the former. My comment about Temsco was that if their Juneau dog sledding is cancelled I might be offered a glacier trip but would still have to pay their cancellation fees for that glacier trip in Skagway if I didn't want to do it twice. The two Temsco companies in Skagway and Juneau act as completely different companies so no real benefit of staying exclusively with them.

Glacier Dog Sledding is most often fully booked, in advance. There isn't going to be much room for any "try" option, like you mention above. That will only be available, if the weather is in the fast changing favorable mode. They are going to take out their afternoon reservations that were booked in advance, not bump those people in favor of those who booked during canceled times.

yes TEMSCO is separate. But you seem to think you should be able to cancel at the last minute with no cancelation fee? Sorry, not in my opinion. Their priority is to make money, and fly full, when available. NOT have extra unsold seats available.

Alaska travel is not perfect, it has already been suggested, you have the phone numbers, and call immediately, when canceled, for availability in the next port.