Sistine Chapel

We were there in June and as far as I know, you must follow the signs that say Sistine Chapel, which means going through a maze of one room after another... takes about 1 1/2 hours. About 1/2 way through, there is a sign with an arrow that says to go directly to the Sistine Chapel go through another door. We didn't go that way but I would assume it's a shorter route to the Sistine Chapel.

Tania888,

There is only one fee to enter the Vatican to see the Sistine Chapel and the Vatican Museum. You have to go through part of the museum to get to the Sistine Chapel, but as the previous poster mentioned there is a short cut (just follow the signs that say Sistine Chapel). The museum is fabulous. Have fun.

Here is a map of the Vatican:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Trasporti_02.html

At the "top" of the Vatican (looking at this map, look at the brown outlines) is the entrance to the museum. At the very "bottom" is building that looks like a little school house from above (as you look at the map). That is the Sistine Chapel. You can get to it through St. Peter's Square (Piazza San Pietro), but you need a ticket to get in, and you get that at the museum entrance. As you can see, you have to walk all the way from the "top" to the "bottom" to get to the Sistine Chapel, but you actually get to it by going through the Basilica (church). This is also a "must see", because that's where Michaelangelo's Pieta is located.

So, if you follow the signs to the Sistine Chapel or not, at least you know where you're going!!

The Vatican is fabulous!! (I started to cry when I entered the Sistine Chapel; I was so overwhelmed by actually being there. It is truly incredible to see).

Thanks PCUR for the Vatican info. we will be in Rome after the Galaxy 9/26 tour, but just for 2 days. We want to walk around Rome to get a feel for the area. I'd like to visit the Vatican area, but would like to spend the day in the Square, St. Peter's, the museums etc and not rush through. I know last summer when we went to the Louvre in Paris, it was overwhelming and you had time only to visit the highlights.

For a future trip, we will spend more time there.

Also, in Florence, you need lots of time to see the museums, the rush tours don't do it justice.

Al

I agree, Al, about Rome and Florence. Haven't been to Paris yet, though.

We did the Florence tour that combined a guide with 3 hours on our own. It seemed a good mix for the one day of sightseeing.

Archived