Need info. about traffic problem at Port of New Orleans

mlbcruiser

A friend of mine is going on her first cruise and will be driving to New Orleans on a Monday after spending the night in Tunica, MS. Her ship is a Carnival ship and it departs at 4 p.m. I read about traffic tie ups in a cruise magazine (new issue). The writer complained that for 2 yrs. in a row they had trouble dropping off their luggage and getting to the ship due to bad traffic tie ups in front of the port. It wasn't made to handle the traffic. They mentioned that taking the airport bus was an advantage because the police allowed the buses to ride down the wrong side of the st. to drop of their passengers. Now, their ship was an NCL and it left on a Sat. or Sun., which might have had something to do with it. Anyway, my friend wanted me to ask on this board and see if this is always a problem and if so, how long does it take to maneuver through this and park and stuff at the port? Thanks for any replies.

Lots of info on port parking problems on the N.O. Port-of-Call board.

No, it hasn't always been this way. The N.O. Port Authority is building a new parking garage at the ship terminal. This has been going on for about a year, and the PA lot has been closed for construction. The shuttles and cabs can easily drop passengers off near the terminal door - but it may be difficult for a car to go in, drop folks w/luggage off, and then go find a parking garage.

The easier thing for people to do when driving is to go to one of the designated nearby parking garages (Fulton St. Garage, Manchu Pichu Parking Lot), and pay $12 per day for parking. Both these facilities have complimentary shuttles to and from the pier.

The parking garage won't be completed until sometime in the spring.:o

Thanks a bunch, Cotton! I just got the notification of this post and sent your comments on to my friend. Your suggestions about the other garages sound good. I worry that if they run into a stop on the interstates between Tunica and NOLA, they could REALLY get delayed. I know someone who was delayed 5 hrs. on the interstate in MS once due to a wreck. So I wanted to do whatever I could to help her plan as best she can. Thanks again!

Another suggestion for your friends. We just sailed out of New Orleans about 2 weeks ago. We parked in the Hilton parking lot right beside the port. The best advise I can give them is to go to the port EARLY. Our ship also sailed at 4:00. We got to the port at 10:30 and parked extrememly easily and walked right up to the counter without even standing in line. This was our 3rd cruise out of New Orleans and we have never had a problem. But we've gotten there early each time. If they are staying in Tunica, that's several hours from New Orleans, so they may not be able to get there very early, but it would be best if they could.

I'm confused. The Hilton lot right beside the port? The Hilton has a garage for guests, and unless you got some special deal, they don't allow random parking. And, it's not right beside the port.....quite a little walk with luggage. :confused:

Archived