Barcelona Pre and Post Cruise Hotel

Sissy,

The hotel itself was very clean, just the anoying little things that got a me. I wanted a nice shower and constantly havong to push up the thing got on my nerves. After a long hot day out we fancied the pool, but it looked too dirty for us.

On the plus side, there is a complementary mini bar, 2 beers, 4 waters, 4 pepsi, 4 fruit juices.

A favorite restaurant of ours is Les Quinzes Nits in Placa Reial at the bottom of Las Ramblas.

We had 2 starters, 2 salads, 2 entrees and a side of fries, a half bottle of wine and a bottle of water, 33 euros. It's a cookery school and very very popular. There were abour 150 in the line when it opened at 8.30pm, but everyone gets in and then the line just builds again, so get there 8.15 ish.

Beware the cup and pea con men on Las Ramblas. We waltched and saw them rip off 3 people in 5 minutes. NEVER play.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed 3 nights post-cruise at the Hotel Barcelona Universal located on Avenida Parallel, about a 10 minute walk from Las Ramblas and right in front of a metro stop. I booked it through hotwire and got a great rate. The hotel was very clean and specious and modern. The bathrooms were also very large. The staff is so friendly and helpful. I highly recommend it; you can look it up on tripadvisor.com too.

We just returned from the Med aboard the Splendour of the Seas. For our pre-cruise hotel we stayed at the Hotel America in the Eixample district a block from the Providenca metro stop. For our post-cruise hotel we stayed at the Hesperia Sarria in the same district, although a little more isolated. Both hotels were great for their price and were away from the chaos of the Las Ramblas. The staff was friendly and the rooms very clean. I tended to like the Hotel America better due the fact that it is pretty much brand new and very modern, including the color and furniture in the rooms as well as the pool and spa on the roof. FYI trip advisor.com has a great list of the best hotels in Barcelona with reviews. These and other facilities mentioned by fellow posters are also on that list. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187497-Barcelona_Catalonia-Hotels.html

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
stayed @ Apsis Atrium Palace for 9/18 pre-cruise stay. Celebrity used it for pre/post cruisers as well. Didn't feel like previous reviewers who said it was a "madhouse" b'c of the Celebrity pre/post cruisers. Seemed very well organized and not a madhouse at all even though there were many in residence.

modern hotel, very upscale, nice amenities but... the bed was as hard as a rock. Sleeping on the floor would've been just as comfortable! I asked if they had a feather bed or cushioning I could put on the bed but all they could offer was a BLANKET! (I'm not sure how they thought that would help.) Anyway, I ordered 4 extra pillows and slept on TOP OF the pillows. The mattress was like a spring mattress on a frame - no boxspring. Ask about the bedding b4 you decide. If you can stand the bed - it's a GREAT hotel in a GREAT location!

My DH, mother-in-law and her fiance all stayed at Hotel Colon (8/29/05) while in Barcelona. We loved it. It was literally steps from the Gothic Cathedral (which by the way is under construction so don't pay more for the Cathedral view) and just a 5 minute walk from Las Ramblas. My DH and I also walked down to the waterfront from the hotel. We booked online at venere.com which had excellent pictures of all the hotels around Europe. The price at Hotel Colon doesn't include breakfast. Rooms are large for a European hotel and the staff spoke excellent English. When it was time to go to the ship, we didn't even have to tell them what ship we were going to. They knew which ship was leaving that day and they called us a cab. As far as hotels by the cruise docks, well it depends on what ship you are on. I was on Princess (8/30/05) and they were at the furtherest point away so there were not hotels close. If you get into Barcelona a day early you might want to stay where the stuff to see is instead of by the water. A cab can always take you to the ship.

My DH and I stayed at Banys Orientals in Barcelona this past May...........

Maulie,

I looked at the Banys for a prior trip, but heard that the neighborhood is a little "iffy" at night. What do you think? Do you feel it's a safe area after dark? Are there some good restaurants in the area for dinner that are within walking distance?

We often find that after a day of exploring a city, we like to go back to our rooms, shower,change and then walk to dinner and stroll the neighborhood. Can we do that if we stay at the Bany's for our next visit?

Thanks,

Jane

Has anyone ever stayed at the Havanna Hotel?

Jean :)

:D I'm interested about this hotel also. We are booked (through RCCL) for one night before cruise next week. Checked out the web site, and it looks okay, but you never know until you stay there.

Wanda

:D I'm interested about this hotel also. We are booked (through RCCL) for one night before cruise next week. Checked out the web site, and it looks okay, but you never know until you stay there.

Wanda

I guess we will both check it out next week. We'll be there on the eleventh. We are on Holland American Westerdam. Hope we like it. Jean :)

stayed at Hotel Montecarlo in barcelona one day post cruise. Had a gracia room overlooking

la rambla. We were very happy with the hotel. It is well located for walking

to shops and restaurants. The staff was friendly and english speaking.

The Le Meridian in accross the street. See Trip advisor.com for more info

and pictures of the hotel. we booked directly from the hotel website for the best rate.

Archived