Can You Walk from the Pier to Fort El Morro?

Tenderpaw

How long/difficult/safe is the walk from the pier on Old San Juan to Fort El Morro? We are in good physical condition and were wondering if this walk is doable? Is there a shuttle service?

Thanks,

Dave

The fort is atop a promontory about a hundred feet above sea level, maybe three quarters of a mile from the pier. The old city is well-equipped with sidewalks. Any fit person could do it, with a bit of huffing and puffing if you forced the pace.

Slow or fast, it's going to be hot, so you will need to take or purchase beverages. I remember refilling a water bottle from a fountain at San Cristobal.

I am told there is also a free trolley.

How long/difficult/safe is the walk from the pier on Old San Juan to Fort El Morro? We are in good physical condition and were wondering if this walk is doable? Is there a shuttle service?

Thanks,

Dave

If you have the time, walk it. There's a lot of nice things to see between the pier area and El Morro- depending on the day, there are two museums up by they fort that the shuttle will pretty much miss.

There's the main Cathedral, some cool shops (when you get past the tourist places), and a lot of places to get a bite to eat. On top of that, you can see the colorful homes and buildings that are all over Old San Juan.

Yes the walk is very do-able, The easiest way is probably to get off at the pier and walk west (to the left) and just keep going that direction until you run into the fountain (and the harbor) then the walkway turns right and follows the old city wall. Then you will come to the old gate to the city, go through it and just head north up the hill and you will run into the great lawn at El Morro. We did it with my father who was just a month after having a stendt put in his heart. I am in shape (the problem is... the shape I am in is a circle :eek:) They also do have a trolley that is free but especially when a ship is in port the seats seem to remain full. It can be hard to find open seats for it. Plus the walk is very nice.

Here is the Paseo De La Princessa, it is just on the way to the fountain about 2 blocks from the pier area.

100_5550.jpg

This is the walk way around the city walls.... very nice views and easy to do.

DSCF6750.jpg

Here is a picture of the free trolley at El Morro. If you ride it they do take you all the way up to the fort (some people think they have to get off at the street) Then on the way down it will go past San Cristobal (the other fort) then wind down through the streets back to the pier area. Enjoy your time there. :D

DSC01487_zps56653648.jpg

Great pictures, thanks!

I found a PR tourism site that sent me a map of OSJ, it was neat to get in the mail! (my printer is acting up and there's just something fun about a "real" map)

It all sounds immensely walkable and nice.

Can you share this website?

I would love to have a map as my sense of direction is pretty awful.

Thanks.:)

Great pictures, thanks!

I found a PR tourism site that sent me a map of OSJ, it was neat to get in the mail! (my printer is acting up and there's just something fun about a "real" map)

It all sounds immensely walkable and nice.

Can you share this website?

I would love to have a map as my sense of direction is pretty awful.

Thanks.:)

Yes, please share. I plan on dropping off my carryons and then going out to explore Old San Juan and the forts. I would love a map to help me with the places to see in the area.

I love San Juan because it's such a walkable city. I've walked straight up to El Morro and also walked to San Cristobal first, then over to El Morro, then back through town to the pier. Anyone reasonably fit and able to walk a couple miles with small hills should have no problem with it