Oceanview With Porthole?????

Pete69

Hi All,

Just after some feedback from anyone who has sailed in an oceanview porthole room - are these virtually the same as a regular oceanview, just with a smaller window??

Do you get much of a view from the porthole??

Cheers

Hi All,

Just after some feedback from anyone who has sailed in an oceanview porthole room - are these virtually the same as a regular oceanview, just with a smaller window??

Cheers

Same as regular OV but you don't get much of a view with the tiny porthole. You can't really sit back and enjoy the view, you have to be right up near the hole to see much. It gets tiring after awhile. It is nice to see the water and sunlight, but only slightly better than an inside.

Hi All,

Cheers

Yes. On the Gem (and Jewel-class ships) remembered them having similar square feet, furnishings, layout. However, the porthole window is (and felt) noticeably smaller than the picture window. I'd even take an obstructed picture window over a porthole if they cost the same. The picture window is almost the width of a queen size bed. The porthole barely fit my head (yes I tried) :p I've seen pictures of much bigger portholes but I don't know on which ships.

Edited by kylenyc

I'd even take an obstructed picture window over a porthole if they cost the same.

...and along with that point is the question of location. On most NCL ships the obstructed view cabins are on deck 8 (a great location in my opinion) while the portholes are down on deck 4 or (maybe) 5 (not as convenient in my book).

And in this context I suppose it's also worth noting that a porthole is considered an UPGRADE from an obstructed view. So if you really want the cabin on deck 8, don't book it as a "guarantee." :-)

I haven't sailed in either, but I think I would also prefer the obstructed view.