Recommendation for Alaska Cruise

Jim Henry

Looking at taking my 2nd Carnival Cruise this August- Alaska,with my family. Ship is the Miracle out of Seattle..Any special tips or recommendations? Since it is our 2nd time there appears to be an "upgrade" available but it is listed as same cabin to same cabin. What does that really mean?

There are a LOT of great excursions, but they can be kind of expensive. Save up in advance :p

The first cruise my boyfriend/now husband and I took was an Alaskan cruise. It's what got us into cruising! Our favorite excursion was a helicopter tour to a glacier - we landed on the glacier and got to walk around. Expensive as hell, but in all of our cruises that one has been our favorite :)

Edit: and the upgrade may be upgrades within categories - meaning if you book a balcony, there may be upgrades, but only to another balcony (so not to a suite or premium balcony)

Edited by iamsteph

Upgrade is to a different location of the ship, possibly a more favorable location.

Our kids enjoyed snorkeling in Ketchikan, dog sledding on the glacier, a bear walk with guides who carried guns (you don't walk in the woods of Alaska without a bear gun), and, at the time, the longest zipline in the world.

Check out the Alaska board for lots of good info. There are excursions in many price ranges.

We've never cruised Alaska on Carnival but in HAL.

we did B2B this year to Alaska ;-)

get a very good pair of binoculars, the best camera you can afford and extra memory cards. We took 4000 pictures..

In Seattle there is 3 free walking tours (you tip the guide) all 3 walking tours were informative and really interesting. You can find the information on the web.

We used groupon coupons and other coupons if possible for Seattle

used the light rail as we stayed out by the airport (rooms were cheaper and breakfast was included)

We did all private tours, rented a car (twice) as it was cheaper to do this then buses at the ports... We drove up to Whitehorse

If you choose to rent a car to do tours Murrays guide is very good and you can down load that.

have a great trip Alaska is jaw dropping

Looking at taking my 2nd Carnival Cruise this August- Alaska,with my family. Ship is the Miracle out of Seattle..Any special tips or recommendations? Since it is our 2nd time there appears to be an "upgrade" available but it is listed as same cabin to same cabin. What does that really mean?

I would book either princess or HAL to Alaska. If you book CCL in August you will miss one of the must see places, Glacier bay.

Bill

Definitely pick an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. It was the absolute highlight of our Alaska cruise. If you click on the link in my signature, it will take you to the my photo review.

As others mentioned, Princess and Holland are the top 2 cruise lines in Alaska, with the largest number of ships and itineraries, many which will include Glacier Bay. And surprisingly they can be cheaper than Carnival (sailing on Holland was $700 cheaper than Carnival and for a much better itinerary which included Sitka and Glacier Bay, sailing on a Saturday).

Definitely pick an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. It was the absolute highlight of our Alaska cruise. If you click on the link in my signature, it will take you to the my photo review.

As others mentioned, Princess and Holland are the top 2 cruise lines in Alaska, with the largest number of ships and itineraries, many which will include Glacier Bay. And surprisingly they can be cheaper than Carnival (sailing on Holland was $700 cheaper than Carnival and for a much better itinerary which included Sitka and Glacier Bay, sailing on a Saturday).

I just read your review, and have to say it was one of the best reviews I've ever read. Very informative.

Definitely on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing

You are welcome.

We went on the Diamond Princess. Alaska is all about the itinerary and definitely not about the ship as it's port intensive and you go from morning to night if you want to maximize your time there.

My wife and i were just talking the other day and said we wanted to go back again.

It is truly one of the most beautiful paces i have ever been.

Bill

I just read your review, and have to say it was one of the best reviews I've ever read. Very informative.

Thank you! I appreciate the compliment. :)

To the OP, we chose a roundtrip from Seattle because of convenience. But if we do Alaska again, it will definitely be a one way from Vancouver to Whittier or Seward.

Two reasons: First, sailing from Seattle means that you'll spend your first day sailing west of Vancouver Island (instead of through the Inside Passage) and out in the open sea. So you'll miss out a full day of the amazing scenery that you can see when sailing along the Inside Passage.

Second, when you sail roundtrip from Seattle, you'll spend more time at sea because the ship needs to cover more distance getting to and from Alaska. Several of our ports of call where only half days. Had we been on a one way cruise from Vancouver, we would've had more time ashore (full days) and even an extra port of call or extra day of glacier viewing.

Just some extra food for thought. :)

we did the carnival spirit a few years ago in june... it was a wonderful trip... like a trip back in time... the tours are expensive but worth it... we did a whale watching tour and i just cried when the whales came up! and we saw lots... the blue ice is just unbelievable... but being from south texas it was soooo cold.. we had to wear four layers of clothing every day which was the only part i didnt like about the trip... (the cold spell we are having right now is jut killing us !) i would go back but maybe in august when the weather is better.... the train trip into canada was also one of our favorites... enjoy

To the OP, we chose a roundtrip from Seattle because of convenience. But if we do Alaska again, it will definitely be a one way from Vancouver to Whittier or Seward.

Two reasons: First, sailing from Seattle means that you'll spend your first day sailing west of Vancouver Island (instead of through the Inside Passage) and out in the open sea. So you'll miss out a full day of the amazing scenery that you can see when sailing along the Inside Passage.

Second, when you sail roundtrip from Seattle, you'll spend more time at sea because the ship needs to cover more distance getting to and from Alaska. Several of our ports of call where only half days. Had we been on a one way cruise from Vancouver, we would've had more time ashore (full days) and even an extra port of call or extra day of glacier viewing.

That's what we did. Started in Vancouver and ended in Whittier.

If I ever get a chance to go again I will start in Whittier and end in Vancouver..

We docked the last night around midnight but you still slept on the ship but the next day there are no flights from Anchorage until about 2-3 pm.

Then we had an Anchorage to Seattle flight with a 4 hour layover, Seattle to Minneapolis, and then a Minneapolis to Philadelphia flight.

Took 18 hours to get home.

That was exhausting. Getting home from the Vancouver airport after the cruise would be much easier.

Bill

Strongly recommend the Grand Princess 10 nights out of San Francisco round trip. My wife and I have done this cruise twice and will do it again!

We sailed Princess- Seward to Vancouver which is home port. That was years ago as lung marrieds. This year we are doing round trip Van to Seattle with Carnival.

Taking kids and Mom this time and meeting family too. Enjoying all the tips.

Then we had an Anchorage to Seattle flight with a 4 hour layover, Seattle to Minneapolis, and then a Minneapolis to Philadelphia flight.

Took 18 hours to get home.

That was exhausting.

Bill

Goodness, that does sound exhausting. I live in Atlanta and that was one of my initial concerns and deciding factors why we chose the roundtrip from Seattle (the convenience and lower prices of flying roundtrip on nonstop flights. We have 3 different airlines flying nonstop, multiple times a day).

I did learn though that, during the summer, we do get nonstop flights from here to both Anchorage and Vancouver. Service is much more limited and expensive (just one daily flight to Anchorage and weekend only service to Vancouver) but it's good to know that the option is there! :)

Edited by Tapi

This is one cruise that I would definitely try to get a balcony.

^This^ Don't go until you can afford a balcony and can afford a couple of the nicer excursions. Alaska is all about excursions. I recommend the helicopter ride to the Mendenhall Glacier, the Misty Fjords bush plane, and the Gold Rush train excursions.

I've cruised to Alaska twice. I recommend Princess over Carnival for cruising to Alaska. Carnival doesn't go to some desirable parts of Alaska that Princess does.

I have done Alaska 4 times. My biggest recommendation is only do a cruise that is going to GLACIER BAY.

I did one cruise that did not have this and after that cruise I said I would NEVER do another cruise to Alaska that did not have GLACIER BAY in it.

If you like the show deadliest catch, then in Ketchikan the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour is a must. This was one of the best tours I have done.

We have done Alaska twice, first time a round trip, second time one way from Vancouver to Whittier.

\ As was said, Glacier Bay is awesome, but if you do a one way, make sure they visit College Fiord. You are so much further North, so everything is snow covered, the mountains and all the Glaciers, it is simply amazing. They name all the glaciers after colleges. A truly spectacular place.

One other comment. We also flew out of Anchorage, leaving at midnight. On recommendations from CC, we were told to sit on the left side of the plane, for the possibility of seeing the Northern Lights. It was the end of August, but whomever told us to change our seats, I wish I can send them a thank you. We were treated to over an hour's worth of spectacular lights. Even the pilot of the plane commented how great they were that night.

As for costs, Alaska is what you make it. Some people prefer to just wander around town, just absorbing the feelings you get from them. In Juneau, the Meddenhall Glacier is a short bus ride away and very inexpensive. We also rented a car in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake, into the Yukon. Our only costs was the rental and gas. Truly a great day.

Many people opt for the Train ride in Skagway, nice, but very hot on a hot day, and if its foggy, you are going to see nothing.

Cheers

Len

Thanks for the tip. Please explain how the one way works.

I'm not Tapi nor can I speak as eloquently but have done a one way. You fly to Vancouver, board the ship there and cruise up to Alaska. In our case whittier and had to fly home from Anchorage.

Or you could do it the opposite way. Fly to Alaska and board there and cruise down to Vancouver and fly home from there.

This allows a more scenic cruise and also more time in ports and doesn't require a stop in Victoria Canada.

Bill

The one way itineraries are usually 7 nights in length. One week, the ship will be sailing northbound departing from Vancouver and ending in Whittier or Seward (both ports serve Anchorage). The following week, the ship will be sailing southbound departing from Seward or Whittier and ending in Vancouver. So you'll be flying into one city and flying back from another. Scenery gets more dramatic the farther north you go, so many experts recommend choosing the northbound itinerary (to save the best for last).

Since the ship is only sailing in one direction, it doesn't need to cover the same distance twice, meaning that you will get more time in port instead of at sea. Some of these one way itineraries even allow two full days of glacier viewing at two different locations (for example Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay or College Fjord). College Fjord specifically is doable only on a one way itinerary (and not on the roundtrip) because it's so far north.

Because these one way itineraries normally sail from/to Vancouver, you will be in the Inside Passage the entire time because the ship sails on the east side of Vancouver Island. That means that you'll be enjoying the breathtaking scenery literally 24 hours a day for 7 days right from your balcony. On the roundtrip from Seattle, the ship sails on the west side of Vancouver Island, out in the open sea with nothing to see. You won't start enjoying the scenery until day 3.

The main drawback about these one way itineraries is that you need to buy one way airfare to/from Vancouver and one way airfare to/from Anchorage. Needless to say, this can be costlier than roundtrip airfare to Seattle but IMHO, it's worth it. Also, one way cruises tend to be priced a bit cheaper than the roundtrips which can help balance things out, so take that into consideration.

Finally, the one way itinerary will also give you the opportunity of exploring Denali before or after your cruise. There are several land packages ranging from 3-7 additional days. Alaska is a vast, vast land and some of the most dramatic scenery, like Mt. McKinley, can't be seen from a cruise ship.

Hope this information is helpful. I spent almost 3 years researching before we actually pulled the trigger on an Alaska cruise. Planning can be overwhelming and exhausting but believe me, once you're actually there, you'll realize it was completely worth it. :)

One final piece of advice: We tried to do Alaska as inexpensively as possible and in the most part, we succeeded. We scored cheap flights, used points for our pre and post cruise hotel stays, I researched ports of calls, planned our own tours, and shied away from the more expensive shore excursions, and monitored cruise fares like a hawk, giving us a free upgrade to a balcony and onboard credit. We had an absolutely wonderful time and it was truly the cruise of a lifetime.

BUT, if I do Alaska again, I'm definitely not going to try to do it as cheaply as possible and at least splurge on some shore excursions. Some family members in our group went all out and did helicopter tours, dog sledding and kayaking and I did feel a pang of envy when I saw their photos. They were breathtaking.

I'm not Tapi nor can I speak as eloquently

Thanks for the eloquent comment. I always wonder if what I write makes sense. :o

Edited by Tapi

Thanks Tapi for the excellent advice. I am concerned about the hassle of getting from Seattle airport to Vancouver for departure of ship. Seattle will have best airfare. Meanwhile, looks like best cruises for summer 14 are already booked for Carnival, except for the high end suites. May have ti wait until 2015.