Best way from Civitavecchia to Savona?

Bill B

I will have two days to travel from Civitavecchia (after disembarking the Fascinosa) to Savona (to embark the neo Romantica). I don't need to spend any time in Rome - I've been before and will be there pre-cruise. What's the best way to go?

Train schedules at trenitalia.com. You have to change trains in Genoa, you could consider a stopover there. I'm more familiar with the Principe station area, there's several hotels close by, on Via Balbi. Savona is a small town, but pleasant. There are several hotels, NH is close to the dock but pricey, last time I stayed at San Marco, nice, but definitely 2-star.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Thanks. I'll take the train(s) and spend the first night in somewhere in Genoa, then splurge for the second at the NH in Savona. It looks like you wake up to a view of your ship a stone's throw away.

Any recommendations for Genoa hotels?

Thanks. I'll take the train(s) and spend the first night in somewhere in Genoa, then splurge for the second at the NH in Savona. It looks like you wake up to a view of your ship a stone's throw away.

Any recommendations for Genoa hotels?

Have you considered asking Costa is they can assist you? You sure the ship isn't continuing to Savona?

Philip

Have you considered asking Costa is they can assist you? You sure the ship isn't continuing to Savona?

Philip

Agree with Philip. Most all itineraries with port calls at Civitavecchia continue on the same evening to arrive at Savona the following morning. Arrange with Costa to let you stay on board for a night. I've done this several times and you can also make the arrangements when you're already cruising. Costa headquarters will have to approve it and it will cost you a supplement (€120 a person the last time I did it) but you'll save yourself a load of hastle.

Agree with Philip. Most all itineraries with port calls at Civitavecchia continue on the same evening to arrive at Savona the following morning. Arrange with Costa to let you stay on board for a night. I've done this several times and you can also make the arrangements when you're already cruising. Costa headquarters will have to approve it and it will cost you a supplement (€120 a person the last time I did it) but you'll save yourself a load of hastle.

Good suggestion. Have plan "B" ready in case new passengers embark at Civitavecchia to take the available cabins in the last minutes.

Here's the crazy part -

I've booked the cruises directly with Costa on their Asia/Pacific site because with single supplement for my Cats. - BP & IP respectively - the Fascinosa cruise is $1000 less than on their U.S. site (or with a TA)... and the neoRomantica is $800 less - they really 'stick it' to Americans & Canadians.

The Fascinosa cruise ends Jan. 27, 2015 at Civitavecchia and the nR is in Civitavecchia on the same day. You'd think this would be perfect - just get off one ship, walk over and get on the other. However, for some reason, you can't book the nR directly with Costa (on any of their sites) from Civitavecchia (only Savona & Marseille)... although U.S. & Canadian TAs can book it from there... for $800 more than I have from Savona.

I'd book both cruises out of Savona, but the two ships do not meet there on the same day - the itineraries are such that if I book the Fascinosa out of Savona it arrives back there the day after the nR leaves - so staying onboard for an extra night is not an option.

Edited by Bill B

Here's the crazy part -

I've booked the cruises directly with Costa on their Asia/Pacific site because with single supplement for my Cats. - BP & IP respectively - the Fascinosa cruise is $1000 less than on their U.S. site (or with a TA)... and the neoRomantica is $800 less - they really 'stick it' to Americans & Canadians.

The Fascinosa cruise ends Jan. 27, 2015 at Civitavecchia and the nR is in Civitavecchia on the same day. You'd think this would be perfect - just get off one ship, walk over and get on the other. However, for some reason, you can't book the nR directly with Costa (on any of their sites) from Civitavecchia (only Savona & Marseille)... although U.S. & Canadian TAs can book it from there... for $800 more than I have.

I'd book both cruises out of Savona, but the two ships do not meet there on the same day - the itineraries are such that if I book the Fascinosa out of Savona it arrives back there the day after the nR leaves.

I understand, but call Costa and ask how they can assist you. If they don't, you might reconsider if you have chosen the right liner to go with - I mean - you have booked two consecutive cruises with them, which should warrant them to go a little out of their way to make the switch as easy as possible.

Philip

I understand, but call Costa and ask how they can assist you ... you have booked two consecutive cruises with them, which should warrant them to go a little out of their way to make the switch as easy as possible.

Good idea! Their Asia/Pacific 'help line' is in China (where I live) so I won't have to pay long distance charges.

I'll ask if it's possible to change my nR booking from Jan. 29 (Savona) to Jan. 27 (Civitavecchia)... which I know is an 'embarkation port' because U.S. and online TAs sell the cruise from there. What I don't understand is why Costa doesn't sell/allow 'direct' bookings (for this cruise) from Civitavecchia.

I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by asking. I'll post back with their answer after they open the lines and I call.

I called Costa's 'Pacific Asia' assistance line number given on the website -

+86 (21) 5351 9509

... but get a recording -

"The number you have dialed is not in service" :(

Great!

So, I emailed them with my request to change the neoRomantica booking so I can embark at Civitavecchia the same day I disembark the Fascinosa (Jan. 27).

Should I hold my breath waiting for a reply?

Holy smokes!!!

Costa replied within five minutes -

"Dear William,

Greetings from Costa!

As exception, just for this booking, we have transferred your booking from Jan 29 to Jan27, 2015.

Updated confirmation letter is sent to you separately.

New booking details..."

I'm astounded (and very happy)! However, I did lose my first choice of stateroom (went from 1109 to 7107)... but that seems a small price to pay for the convenience and the money I'll save not having to travel and spend two nights in hotels.

A+ for Costa's customer service!

Holy smokes!!!

Costa replied within five minutes -

"Dear William,

Greetings from Costa!

As exception, just for this booking, we have transferred your booking from Jan 29 to Jan27, 2015.

Updated confirmation letter is sent to you separately.

New booking details..."

I'm astounded (and very happy)! However, I did lose my first choice of stateroom (went from 1109 to 7107)... but that seems a small price to pay for the convenience and the money I'll save not having to travel and spend two nights in hotels.

A+ for Costa's customer service!

Excellent. Glad it worked out with a good solution. Happy sailing.

Philip

I figure -

The cost of two nights in hotels, train tickets and meals to go from Civitavecchia to Savona; plus the cost of the extra travel (either before the cruises or after) no matter which airport I booked tickets for (Rome or Genoa), would have been roughly equivalent to the cost of my AI. I can tell everyone onboard I'm drinking for 'free'! ;)