Vagabond Inn-San Pedro - Where Can we Eat?

Kellie Poodle

We are spending one night at the Vagabond Inn in San Pedro prior to embarking on a cruise. We'll be delivered to the Inn by airport car so we won't have any transportation.

Due to medical issues, neither of us are distance walkers. Two or three blocks on level ground would be the maximum.

We don't want fast food, but would like to have a reasonably priced dinner near the Inn.

Can anyone recommend someplace nearby?

As I recall, there might not be much available (other than fast food) in that area. When staying there a few years ago I ate dinner at a hole-in-the-wall Asian place a block or two north on the other side of the street. It was OK on a one-time basis. I had breakfast at a fast food place...I think it was a McDonalds.

Thanks. I'm thinking that a smartphone app and a cab might be necessary.:)

The Vagabond Inn does have a free shuttle which we are taking in the morning to the ship. I will ask if the shuttle can take us to a nearby restaurant.

I guess there will be a pizza place delivering to the motel as well. There always is.

You might want to post your question on the San Pedro thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1343892 and also do a search for Vagabond on that thread.

If I recall, there is not much around that hotel and not the best place to stay. Have you looked at Hotwire or PriceLine for the Crowne Plaza or DoubleTree? Both have shuttles to the pier and you can get them for $65-75 usually.

Edited by pizzalady1

Janet,

I really wish you were at the Crowne Plaza...you would have had multiple choices.

But the Vagabond, aside from not being a great hotel, is also in a terrible location for your situation (no car, can't walk distances)..

You have a McDonalds a block south and a KFC two blocks south...

Any sit down restaurant worth visiting is several blocks...or a cab ride...away.

Sorry...

Janet,

I really wish you were at the Crowne Plaza...you would have had multiple choices.

But the Vagabond, aside from not being a great hotel, is also in a terrible location for your situation (no car, can't walk distances)..

You have a McDonalds a block south and a KFC two blocks south...

Any sit down restaurant worth visiting is several blocks...or a cab ride...away.

Sorry...

I looked at the Crowne Plaza. It's twice the price of the Vagabond Inn (using senior pricing on both). I will ask about the shuttle and maybe take a cab back to the Inn.

I'm really frugal when it comes to cruises preferring to spend the bulk of my budget on shore excursions. Unless it's a cruise with more than half of it being sea days, we take an outside cabin saving our money for excursions.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

I looked at the Crowne Plaza. It's twice the price of the Vagabond Inn (using senior pricing on both). I will ask about the shuttle and maybe take a cab back to the Inn.

I'm really frugal when it comes to cruises preferring to spend the bulk of my budget on shore excursions. Unless it's a cruise with more than half of it being sea days, we take an outside cabin saving our money for excursions.

Janet, we all have our priorities...I can understand that...

In my book, I like to get a great rate on my pre-cruise hotel...but I also have certain minimum standards...and convenience and comfort rate high. I am, generally, willing to spend a few dollars more to help ensure my vacation experience is top rate from start to finish. After all, if I'm spending thousands of dollars on a cruise, a few extra dollars getting a nicer hotel doesn't mean all that much...and I reap the reward for the extra dollars spent in terms of luxury and convenience and save on taxis, etc.

You can get the Vagabond for between $70-$80, depending on room and rate...you may have a bit of noise and traffic right outside your window and need a cab to go anywhere other than McDonalds...the Crowne Plaza will run you $144...you'll get a better night's sleep in a more upscale environment and can walk to any of several nicer restaurants (I'll recommend San Pedro Brewing--a block from the CP)...

HOWEVER, before deciding that you'd rather save the extra $70, I'd recommend trying to get the CP on Priceline...try San Pedro and 3.5 stars...and try inputting the same $75 (approximately) you were going to spend on the Vagabond...there's actually a pretty good chance you get it. Then you'd have the better hotel and location--and not pay a dollar more.

Only three things that could happen:

1) you get the CP at YOUR price.

2) you get the Doubletree (also a much better and nicer located hotel that will shuttle you free to a nice restaurant) at YOUR price, or

3) They turn you down...in which case, just wait a little and try again...worst case is you keep your reservation at the Vagabond.

Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I did look into other places in the area.

1) I don't want to give Priceline my credit card or Paypal account on the chance I might get a good price. It's not that I don't trust them, it's just that I have never had any success with naming my own price so why put the info in their hands?

2) Crowne Plaza does not have a free shuttle to the port.

3) I doubt if Priceline would go for less than half off on Doubletree, which does have a shuttle.

I have found two restaurants less than a mile from the Vagabond Inn. Both were on the list and I checked their web sites to make sure they were open on Monday. They are. I also checked the menus and I think we'll enjoy the food.

I think I can get the shuttle to take us to either one. If they can't pick us up, we'll have the restaurant call us a cab. It can't be too much for under a mile. I think I'll still save in the long run.

The restaurants were: San Pedro Brewing Co. which is .7 miles away and Think Cafe which is .6 miles away according to Google. The routes are very direct. Decent reviews on Yelp and Urban Spoon for both.

I also checked the bed bug data base and Vagabond Inn has none reported. As for noise, DH has a Bi-pap machine so I sleep with earplugs. Street noises never bother me.

I do thank you for all your efforts. Please know that they were most appreciated.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

Kellie, only you can decide what is best for you, however I just want to make sure you make your decision of correct information. Crowne Plaza does have a shuttle, we have used it. Also, take a look at the stickys at the top of the West Cost Departure forum where it gives the winning Priceline/Hotwire bids. Most of the Crowne Plaza/DoubleTree wins are for $65-75.

What ever you decide, please come back and let us know how it went.

Edited by pizzalady1

Sushi 21 is right next to the Vagabond (they share the same parking lot) and there is a really good Thai restaurant on 1st and Gaffey called Jasmine Hana. For breakfast you can walk to the Gaffey Street Diner. All of these no more than three blocks from the Vagabond.

We were to spend a night at the Vagabond Inn earlier this year and felt so unsafe (lots of transient people living there full time) that we found another hotel in San Pedro - the Doubletree which had a free shuttle and free parking. I complained to Hotwire and got a refund several months later.

You might be okay with one night there since you won't need parking, but I don't recommend walking around on your own in the area much. We are well traveled and used to staying in "budget" hotels - even some very rustic ones in Indonesia and Thailand. My issue with the Vagabond had nothing to do with its basic accommodations; it was the fact that we didn't feel safe there. The hotel is definitely a little run down, but the people who worked there and those living on the premises made me very uncomfortable.

Good Luck.

Suzi

Edited by Sailfish

• 2 weeks later...

We solved the dinner situation. DH got in touch with one of his college fraternity brothers (from the middle of the last century) via Facebook and it looks like we will be having dinner with them. They live about 30 minutes from San Pedro.

I'm not worried about the area.