First time cruise. Should we pre book cabin?

Cityshopper

Hi, have just book first cruse for July 2014 (Souks & Sangria) and have booked a premier cabin. I have been reading some posts re movement of ship and cabin positions and was wondering if I should pre book a cabin or if the premier cabins are ok. As its a first time cruise I don't know if sea sickness will be a problem for me!! Any other tips on the ship and Itinery would also be appreciated.

Hi CityShopper,

Generally, the higher up you are in the ship, there is more chance of being ill - if you are prone to it. As you are going in July, I wouldn't worry - the med tends to be like a mill pond at that time of year (unless you are very unlucky) so your cruise should be nice and smooth. :)

We did a Med cruise on the IE in July a couple of years ago and had a rough crossing from Palma to Corsica so be prepared. I would definitely pre-book a cabin on the IE as near to midships as possible as it does tend to pitch and roll a bit, to the front especially. I say this from experience on deck 8 when we had a cabin near the front, never again. We prefer to be on a higher deck if possible as we find that on a outside deck lower down the sea is nearer to the cabin window and looks as if it's rushing by at speed which can make you feel a bit queasy. If we had no other choice we would take an inside cabin on a lower deck even though we do prefer to be in an outside cabin.:):)

Jan

Edited by ekco

Thanks for the info. It's the second cruise for one of the group who can get motion sickness but she had no problem with it on her first cruise, however that was with Royal Caribbean and ship was a lot bigger (also in Med) Think I need to study deck plans!! Someone told us that IE is a converted ferry?? The rest of the group have nothing to compare ship to so are going with an open mind and as long as we don't have sea sickness problems, I'm sure we will enjoy.

Hi CityShopper,

It is true that the IE is a converted ferry, but that gives a rather misleading impression and conjures up pictures of a cavernous interior etc. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. When she was built, it was for the New York to Bahamas run as a cruise ship that carried vehicles, and only the very bottom decks were for vehicles - the rest of the ship was pretty much as it is now. For the first two or three years of her life from 1982 to 1985, she was the largest cruiseferry in the world - hard to believe when you see her next to some of the behemoths that she parks next to these days. Nowadays, the old girl is showing her age, but she has the most fantastic crew and loyal followers.

On the last cruise of 2013, over half the 1500 passengers were returnees, with 49 times being the record among those on board. I think most cruise lines would love a statistic like that :)

We are booked on the Glitz and Glamour cruise in August. We have also booked a premier cabin 8540 I am a bit claustrophobic so wanted a higher deck with access to outside space. Looking at the deck plans looks like deck 8 has an open deck and premier cabins are in the middle. Looking forward to it but also a bit nervous about rough seas.

We are booked on the Glitz and Glamour cruise in August. We have also booked a premier cabin 8540 I am a bit claustrophobic so wanted a higher deck with access to outside space. Looking at the deck plans looks like deck 8 has an open deck and premier cabins are in the middle. Looking forward to it but also a bit nervous about rough seas.

Deck 8 is the smoking deck, something to bear in mind if you don't smoke. The cabins in the middle can be a bit overlooked but they do have net curtains at the windows. It all depends if you like looking at smokers outside at all times of the day and night. The higher decks are always a better bet in my opinion but they are liable to more movement. You can get travel sickness pills at reception but we take the wrist bands and Stugeron, which we bought from an internet pharmacy and worked well for me although they can make some people drowsy after taking alcohol. If the ship starts to pitch and roll I suggest going to the cabin and lying down for an hour as walking about just makes things worse, it's a bit like trying to pat your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time, lol.

Our first ever cruise was on the IE and were were pleasantly surprised when we boarded after reading complaints about the threadbare and stained carpets, which we didn't see. The cabins can be a bit like a small caravan and are better higher up the ship. We had a fridge on deck 9 but not on deck 8, funnily enough. We've moved on now as we prefer a ship with a bit more seating on the deck and at night in the bars and show lounge, it's always difficult on the IE without getting there early, but we would still go off season if the itinerary was right. Do a search for the Island Escape on YouTube and you will find tours of the ship that passengers have done, we always find them really helpful.:):)

Jan

Edited by ekco