Alaska pictures! Serenade- July 3-10, 2005

jstducky

Thanks for the compliments. Ever since I bought my first digital camera 3 cruises ago, I've really enjoyed photography and now I can't get enough of taking pictures. Pictures are even more fun to take when you're on vacation!

Great pictures!! Thanks for sharing. :) I loved all of them!! (the scenery...the food) If you don't mind me asking what type of digital camera did you use?

Also, did you book most of your cruises on your own or through the ship? What was your favorite tour? Did you have a balcony stateroom? And if so, where was it located? (It looked like some of the pictures were taken from one. Beautiful pictures at that!) ~ Thanks

I've also loved looking at your pictures! You did a great job! I really enjoyed your day at Hubbard Glacier. Our day was very overcast and couldn't see the beautiful views behind the glacier. Thanks, I knew there had to be more!

I also took well over 800 pictures and the biggest challenge has also been to narrow them down! I finally got them down to about 300 and have had them printed. We now have a beautiful book of memories from our magical trip to this beautiful land!

Thanks again sharing!

Sharon

Great pictures!! Thanks for sharing. :) I loved all of them!! (the scenery...the food) If you don't mind me asking what type of digital camera did you use?

Also, did you book most of your cruises on your own or through the ship? What was your favorite tour? Did you have a balcony stateroom? And if so, where was it located? (It looked like some of the pictures were taken from one. Beautiful pictures at that!) ~ Thanks

Thanks all for the compliments on the pictures. I just love sharing my love for Alaska!

Tripster - the pictures I have posted come from 2 different digital cameras. About 80% of the pictures are from my new Fuji S5100 4MP, 10x optical zoom digi cam. The rest of the pictures are from my old Fuji A205 2MP, 3.2x optical zoom camera. As you can tell, I'm a big fan of the Fuji cameras. On my new Fuji camera I love the continues shoot function, where I can hold down the shutter once and it takes 40 shots continuously, one shot ever 1.6 seconds. That's how I got the shots of the glacier calving.

As for the shore excursions, the majority were booked through the cruise line. In Skagway, I tried to book the railroad on my own, but saving the $10 just didn't work out in the end. The Valley of the Glaciers helicopter landing in Skagway through TEMSCO, was booked on my own. Saved about $20 per person over the ship and got a better time offered to me for my flight than the ship was offering.

In Juneau the Four Glacier Helicopter Adventure and Dog Sled was booked through the ship. I tried to contact ERA directly to book the excursion as the price was about $30-$40 cheaper per person, but 1) they weren't selling private excursions that day as there were 4 ships in town, and 2) their cancellation and refund policy was rather strict and I didn't want to find myself out of $400+!

And in Ketchikan the Great Alaskan Lumberjack show was booked through the ship. I heard someone say that they walked up to the ticket book to try and buy tickets directly and were told that the show was sold out for the entire day, so basically if you didn't buy through the ship and really wanted to see the show, you were out of luck.

Hope that helps!

Just Ducky! Thanks for sharing your pictures. We are on this cruise in 3 weeks and it was wonderful to get a taste of what's in store for us. Your pictures of the food were so enticing! But, the scenery, in particular the calving glacier, was wonderful. You are a very good photographer. Again, thanks for sharing. August 7th can't get here fast enough!!

Jstducky, your pictures are awesome! Looks like you tendered in from both Skagway and Ketchikan? We were on the Radiance in June and never tendered at any of the ports. Wonder who decides which ships will use tenders and which won't?

Amanda:)

Loved you pictures! We are leaving on 7/23 on the Radiance. I also just bought Fuji Finepix 5100 mainly because of optical zoom. I also bought a Canon Powerhot 400 to have a compact camera.

Thanks for sharing

Loved you pictures! We are leaving on 7/23 on the Radiance. I also just bought Fuji Finepix 5100 mainly because of optical zoom. I also bought a Canon Powerhot 400 to have a compact camera.

Thanks for sharing

janets - you'll love the S5100. the continuous shoot function especially came in handy at Hubbard Glacier. i was able to take so many of the calving shots it was amazing. something i would never have been able to do on my old camera. there are just so many fuctions with the S5100, sometimes you forget about all the bells and whistles. but the zoom is great and made for some great pictures.

hope you have a good time in Alaska and have fun with the camera!

Archived