Wheel chairs and disembarkation

eby

Just because someone can go through a buffet on their own doesn't mean that they can stand in line for the time it takes to go through customs. I am able to move around the ship on my own because there are many places for me to sit and take a break. If there is any distance involved or if it means standing for a long period of time, I am unable to do this and therefore, I use a mobility scooter. Please do not be quick to judge people by what you see and then think you know about them.

That my point .When you are in a wheel chair,you are not standing.Why do you need to cut in front of the line

That my point .When you are in a wheel chair,you are not standing.Why do you need to cut in front of the line

have you not been paying attention?! unless you are in your OWN WC, the one you are using is provided by the cruise line/ Port.. who need it for the next guy. so therefore they expedite the process. on any given cruise, figure 10-15 people minimum will need WC assistance to get on/off. they may have been able to handle all or most of the cruise itself without issue, but cannot handle the very long lines at the end. as for buffets.. you ever try and balance a full plate( no trays any more remember) on a top deck in rough waters when your balance is already shot? or you use a cane? or in my case, weak wrists on top of all that that means you can't hold a plate one handed unless all it has is a few lettuce leaves on it?

the port has FIVE count em FIVE (if that and nobody says anything about them actually functioning decently) wheelchairs available to handle all the needs so what the first 5 people who get one should be forced to 'wait their turn' while numbers 6-15 have to wait even longer and contend with a misplaced chair, or other delaying factors?! even though Guy number 6 checked in an hour before you so should be in line ahead of you anyway?!

It is the *least unfair* method of safely and fairly transporting a passenger.

if you think your time is more valuable than anyone else's, by all means, put your money where your mouth is and demand WC assistance next time you disembark. and then YOU deal with all the dirty looks and snide comments and know that you really are abusing the system and so actually DO deserve each and every one.

Just a suggestion.....if this bothers you so much why not do self disembarkation so you would be first off the ship and not have to subject yourself to this "inconvenience".:confused:

My Cruise in February will be the first time I will need to use a scooter. I have no problem waiting in line with everyone else as I will be sitting. People who are using the ship's wheelchairs need to be processed quickly so the wheelchairs can be used again.

Have you read all the replies? Because if you have, you've been given a number of reasons.

1. It's how US Customs runs things.

2. It's just the way it's done on EVERY cruise line

3. There is a severe shortage of wheelchairs and pushers. They need to get the wheelchair passengers through the line quickly so they can go back and get another one.

Someday, YOU might need a wheelchair and I daresay you probably won't complain about the wonderful perk of line skipping (I'm being facetious about this being a perk).

Personally, I just don't understand why, in the entire scheme of things, someone gets so bent out of shape on this. It is what it is.

And I say this again. The PRIMARY reason why you stand in line so long is NOT due to the disabled. The real reason is because the US Customs and Immigration Service have too few officers trying to clear 2800 passengers, using as few as four. If you have a problem, take it up with them

Andy, time to close this thread. It's beaten to death.

I travel with my own personal powerchair, and a manual besides for ports. First, they have a specific spot for those in wheelchairs to wait as it reduces the need for elevator access. And at least on Royal Caribbean they are awful at remembering to warn us in advance of colors called which reduces its usefulness. Second, if you have never used a chair you will never understand just how difficult it is to maneuver around people not paying attention, especially the pushing and prodding in crowds such as you have for debarkation. And I will say that my powerchair can do serious harm to ankles of folks who unthinkingly step in my path so being near other folks in chairs means those around me are going to be aware enough to act cautiously, although usually we end up mingled in with walkers somehow. It is a stressful process, not the breeze the OP seems to think it is.

I was born with my particular condition and avoided a wheelchair for as long as I could, but needed one at least part time by age 20 and even more so now nearly twenty years later. The fact is that wheelchairs are not a convenience. They are a method of freedom of movement so we aren't a ball and chain to our loved ones around us.