Ocho Rios: Here are current taxi prices from main dock

Artemis

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - Ocho Rios We docked at the main cruise terminal. There is another other pier located nearby, albeit in a sort of grungy, industrial area. Here is the NCL map that shows you both docks.

>> You can find out where your ship will be docked by going to the Port Authority of Jamaica's calendar published here: http://www.cruisejamaica.com/ (follow the "Click here for Schedule" hyperlink to the monthly calendar).

We enjoyed a quiet morning-early afternoon aboard ship, then got off to check out the possibility of renting a Hobie cat for an hour. I could see them over at a resort on the tip of the peninsula just across from the boat. We walked about 15 minutes to the resort, which turned out to be the Sunset Grande. We learned, not surprisingly, that we couldn't get in just to do a sail rental without purchasing the all-inclusive day pass. It was reasonably priced at $60 pp, but with only 2 hours left in our port day, it didn't make any economic sense for us. We did this Sunset Grande or the one in MoBay some years ago...I can't recall which! I have a favorable memory of the experience (I think both Sunset Grande properties get positive reviews from CCers posting here in the Jamaica forum) and am glad to be reminded of how close the resort is to the Ocho pier. Of course, most people wouldn't walk, but it would be a short taxi ride!

So, here is a shot of the taxi fare board at the cruise terminal. If I'm interpreting it correctly, the *roundtrip* fare to Sunset Grande would have been $10 pp.

Ocho_taxi_prices.jpg

On Main Street, we stopped in the local grocery store and went up and down the aisles. We like to do that when we travel. Yeah, we're kind of strange! But check out the flavors of Häagen-Dazs they get, mon! I'm taking this shot to my local grocery store to find out why we don't get some of those. :p

icecream.jpg

We stopped at the coffee shop right at the cruise terminal plaza to grab some wifi. It was $3 for 2 hours (wifi is complimentary at many restaurants around town, so the cost is about the same or better depending on what you might order to drink!).