Solo on Pride of America

jess3620

Hi all :)

My name is Jessica and I just booked my first solo cruise on the Pride of America. I was planning on going with a friend but they are not going to be able to go. I am not cruising until Jan of 2016 so I still have plenty of time to see if someone wants to go, but the more and more research I do the more I think I will enjoy going by myself.

I have been on one other cruise to Alaska and it was with a friend. I have never traveled alone but I am looking forward to being able to do the things I want to do.

I was wondering if anyone has traveled solo on the POA. I have not been able to find many reviews from solo travelers on the Pride of America. I know the studio cabins were just opened so that may be why I am having some trouble.

I also would love any advice from solo travelers who have been to Hawaii. Hawaii is going to be very expensive and I would love any advice on what is worth spending money on and what isn't worth spending money on.

Thanks!

I'm traveling on the POA this Aprii with my cousin, but typically I cruise solo....so perhaps I'll be able to help after April....my 2 sons just honeymooned there, so for sure you'll want to do a helicopter ride, which the ship offers. On the overnights, we will probably rent a car. I'm finding hawaii challenging to plan since I don't ofter book ship tours, and I've been told it's not like the Caribbean where you can hop a cab with others....I'll let you know...

It looks like this is your first post, so welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

You'll be perfectly fine cruising solo. People have done it before, they're doing it now, and they'll be doing it again and again. The Solo Cruising forum exists for a reason. I myself did two cruises solo, and had no problem making friends with non-solos of all ages; however, all solos I met were 30 and older.

I checked the deck plans for Pride of America, and found out that it has studio cabins, which I wasn't aware of. But there's only four of them, and they're surrounded by family insides and penthouse suites. Doesn't seem like a good place for solo-oriented cabins, if you ask me. Their location is good, though: one flight of stairs away from the lido deck.

You may find this useful: http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php?ship=Pride%20of%20America. The studios are all on deck 13.

Unless you have your heart set on Hawaii, may I suggest trying Epic, Breakaway, or Getaway? Those ships have dozens of studio cabins, all grouped together, next to a hallway of similar non-studio cabins. You might have an easier time finding other solos there.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Thank you for the responses!

My heart is set on Hawaii :) I am taking myself to Hawaii after I graduate from Nursing school. I took myself to Alaska after finishing my surgical technology program and Hawaii was next on my list. So I figured going after nursing school would be perfect!

I would love to hear the reviews after sailing in the solo cabins. I know other ships have more solo cabins so I am curious to see what the POA offers for the solo cabins (for instance in the solo lounge).

Thanks again for your replies. I am already planning my trip and I still have 2 years to wait!! And I already have "Hawaii brain" so my friends and family have told me :)

Jessica and Dorothy you are in luck.I am leaving today for this sat.sailing in a studio cabin.information has been hard to come by here since the cabins are new and there are only the 4 of them.This is a bucket list trip for me and I have been scouring the web for info and pictures since construction began.(I booked over a year ago).time flies and now I need to start packing!having used these boards for a couple of years now I owe a review for all the great info I got here.having sailed on the EPIC 4 times now,both in a studio and a standard inside,I plan to do a comparison of the studios,lounge and experience of both.

Jessica and Dorothy you are in luck.I am leaving today for this sat.sailing in a studio cabin.information has been hard to come by here since the cabins are new and there are only the 4 of them.This is a bucket list trip for me and I have been scouring the web for info and pictures since construction began.(I booked over a year ago).time flies and now I need to start packing!having used these boards for a couple of years now I owe a review for all the great info I got here.having sailed on the EPIC 4 times now,both in a studio and a standard inside,I plan to do a comparison of the studios,lounge and experience of both.

Tedj6050 I will look forward to reading your review! Enjoy your cruise! :)

Thank you Ted!

Are you cruising solo by yourself or with a group? I've cruised solo before and also with friends. This cruise will likely be solo, but unlike my other solo cruise I really want to do a good bit of sightseeing. I'm curious how that works / feels w/ the POA Hawaiian itinerary.

Thank you Jess.yes Dorothy I am traveling solo this time.having cruised both solo and with companions I have had the best times when sailing solo.this trip has really been something I wanted to do for some time,and when the cruise rep on the EPIC told me about the the POA getting studios.I marked the day they went on sale on my calendar.since then the prices have gone up twice so they must be selling well.my sailing sold out in days of becoming available.originally I was going on my bday in oct.but there was no difference in price so I took the holiday sail which normally would cost more.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got home from a wonderful week in studio #13003 on the POA.trying to collect my thoughts,and freestyle dailys to write a review and comparison of the studios on the epic and poa.if anyone has any questions or comments feel free to ask.

I just got home from a wonderful week in studio #13003 on the POA.trying to collect my thoughts,and freestyle dailys to write a review and comparison of the studios on the epic and poa.if anyone has any questions or comments feel free to ask.

Ted I look forward to reading your review! I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful time!! That's also the room I have booked for my cruise :)

I'm looking forward to your review of the studio and the cruise. Would like to here your thoughts and see any photos.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Ted I look forward to reading your review! I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful time!! That's also the room I have booked for my cruise :)

Hi Ted!

I was wondering you have had a chance to write your review of POA. I haven't been on here as often between work and gearing up for nursing school, so I wasn't sure if I missed your review. I am looking forward to reading it!

Thanks!

Hi Ted!

I was wondering you have had a chance to write your review of POA. I haven't been on here as often between work and gearing up for nursing school, so I wasn't sure if I missed your review. I am looking forward to reading it!

Thanks!

I'm also looking forward to this review.

• 1 month later...

Ted - I'm booked in a Solo Studio on POA in May and have been watching for your review. Please let us know about your experience!!

Thank you for the responses!

My heart is set on Hawaii :) I am taking myself to Hawaii after I graduate from Nursing school. I took myself to Alaska after finishing my surgical technology program and Hawaii was next on my list. So I figured going after nursing school would be perfect!

I would love to hear the reviews after sailing in the solo cabins. I know other ships have more solo cabins so I am curious to see what the POA offers for the solo cabins (for instance in the solo lounge).

Thanks again for your replies. I am already planning my trip and I still have 2 years to wait!! And I already have "Hawaii brain" so my friends and family have told me :)

Hi Jessica! I'm not sure if you've seen it already but I notice there is a 360 degree image of the POA studio lounge via the below hyperlink. After clicking on the link, you will need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on where it says "Studio Lounge"

http://www.iceportal.com/brochures/ice/Brochure.aspx?did=3719&brochureid=6053&type=vr&design=3

I saw that a couple of weeks ago, and I just cracked up! That's not a lounge, that's a HALLWAY!

Having sailed in a solo studio on the Epic, this is just ridiculous. But I'm not going to worry about it, I don't plan to spend much time there, anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I cruised solo on POA several years ago (maybe 2005 or thereabouts). I had a good time but it definitely was not a party or a young ship. Most of the passengers were well over 60. This however, didn't bother me at all. I met a small group of younger passengers (late 30's to mid-40's) and we palled around thruout the cruise. We would go to the disco every night and have the dj and the club to ourselves and as long as we continued to purchase drinks :eek: the dj continued to play music. Now that I remember it, it was a blast every night. When the ship reached home, I still had several mixed drinks sitting in my frig from the various nights when we would order more drinks than we could possibly consume just to keep the dj playing music. Good times:D

While the passengers were significantly older and the worker significantly less trained and accommodating than your usual cruise experience (the crew was all US citizens or green card holders), all in all it was a fun cruise albeit a bit different. The port stops were nice and the fellow passengers all very amendable and friendly.

I have not been back to Hawaii since but would not be opposed to repeating that cruise experience. Again, that was close to 9 years ago so I am sure things are a bit different. However, Hawaii is an expensive vacation destination so the vacationeers both on land and on a cruise will always be a bit older than you might expect. Seems like Hawaii is that high end dream vacation that people put off until after kids are grown, house is paid for, they are retired, etc.

Go, enjoy. It will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

There are 4 chairs in the "lounge", guess that's all you need if there are only 4 studio cabins lol.

Can good rates be had or is it just as expensive as a normal room since there are so few it's booked a year in advance? At one price point should I jump...