Long Beach, CA Offsite Parking

Sailfish

Long Beach, CA Offsite Parking

We are departing on a Carnival Cruise from Long Beach, CA; our plan is to drive to Long Beach early in the morning on embarkation day and park off-site. We found a covered city lot structure by "City Place" that will allow us to leave the car there for the week as long as we purchase a monthly pass for $45. Compare that to the $17/night parking fee at the port. Is anyone familiar with this lot or the shopping center? Although the free Passport bus stops there, we're still not sure what the best way will be to head to the port. Right now, we are leaning towards dropping me off at the port with our luggage while my husband parks the car. He will either take a cab or the free Passport bus back.

Has anyone had any experience with this off-site parking lot? If you are local, are you familiar with "City Place"? I am wondering how far this is from the port. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Suzi

City Place is about 2-3 miles from Carnival (recommend looking it up on Google Maps). Dropping everyone off at the pier, then having one person park is the best bet.

That said, City Place was a failed attempt at gentrification/redevelopment by the city. A year ago, many stores were vacant, it was a bit grimy for being new, and quite a few unsavory characters were hanging out. Maybe they have turned it around since then. I can't speak to how good or bad security is in the parking structure.

The parking is city-owned...there are parking structures in "The Pike" as well as the Convention Center. Both are closer to Carnival. I don't know if it's city-owned too, or what the rates are. Bears checking out.

City Place is about 2-3 miles from Carnival (recommend looking it up on Google Maps). Dropping everyone off at the pier, then having one person park is the best bet.

That said, City Place was a failed attempt at gentrification/redevelopment by the city. A year ago, many stores were vacant, it was a bit grimy for being new, and quite a few unsavory characters were hanging out. Maybe they have turned it around since then. I can't speak to how good or bad security is in the parking structure.

The parking is city-owned...there are parking structures in "The Pike" as well as the Convention Center. Both are closer to Carnival. I don't know if it's city-owned too, or what the rates are. Bears checking out.

Thanks for your feedback.

On the plus side you can catch the Passport bus on Pine. It's easiest to take carryon-size luggage. At times the crew buys large suitcases at WalMart and it is a bit 'cumbersome' for everyone onboard.

To really save some money you can park (free) at the Willowbrook station on the Metro and just pay the rail fee ($1.50 +$1card). Some have done it but I do not know if overnight parking is truly allowed.

Another idea is to park at LA Union Station ($6/day) and take the Red/Purple-Blue-Passport ($3 +$1 card) This takes two hours. Again carryon-sized is best.

When sailing out of Long Beach we either park at the pier or take the Metro in. Sometimes we park at Union Station, other times we ride the rails all the way in. Wouldn't trust anywhere else to park.