Miami flight at 11:10?

champmason

I've routinely made 11am flights from MIA but there are a few things to consider......

Time of year makes a huge difference. Winter has way more ships in port and the airport is much more crowded than fall sailings.

Airline is another one - The side of MIA where American is based from is a complete zoo. You'll need to do early debark/self assist to make this one safely and try to beat the security line crowds. On the other hand, the side of the airport used by Delta/United is MUCH less crowded and easier to navigate.

There's always the slim change that your ship could be delayed or customs could hold up debark. Go into it knowing you could possibly have to deal with missing the flight. It's rare, but it could happen. I don't dwell on that - I could miss the later flight, too, if the ship got delayed long enough, but that's just my own comfort level

Carnival's "official" earliest flight time from MIA is 11:30 so it's only 20 minutes earlier than they suggest.

Edited by vacruizer

We have made a 10:15 from Miami in the past. We got off first thing with self assist and was at the airport at 9:00am. So it can be done...

Would I do it again? No Way!. It was nerve racking!!. Better off eating a leisurely breakfast and hanging out on the Lido till they call last call and then head out.

Your blood pressure will thank you!!

Just off Liberty a week ago, took our time getting off the ship and was at the airport by 10:00 am. We paid $75.00 to change our flight to an 11:30 flight since ours wasn't leaving until 2:30 ....you will have no problem taking a 11:00 am flight. Customs was a breeze.

We just got off the Liberty one week ago also. We did the self debark with our luggage, and we were off the ship by 7. We were at the airport by 7:30. Our flight was at 11:30, so I was a bit concerned, but no problem. Carnival will know you have an early flight, so they will give you low luggage tag numbers if you don't want to carry your luggage off.

Claudia

Most times with self disembark it's a non issue but I've arrived at the port at 10:30 and the previous sailing hadn't begun disembarking (issue with a passenger on board and the INS). Another time there was an incident at another pier that closed the port down. There was a third time but we were the first cruise after a transatlantic so the entire crew had to go through customs before they began disembarking passengers and you can check where the ship was before and decide if that could be an issue.

IMO, take a later flight.

It's depressing enough that the cruise has ended and the work-related stomach knots are starting to prevail. Don't add in the additional stress of missing your flight because of any number of things that can happen that are out of your control.

We are in the same situation. There is an 11:05 flight on AA which we prefer, 11:40 on united which we dont care for but will do if necessary... next option 9 pm...UGH We cant stay an extra day so we are debating on which of the two airlines to choose from from our early flight. We have FTTF so we will self disembark but it still makes me nervous

I'm starting to think we should be changing to the later flight. After all, this trip is for relaxing and not rushing from here to there. Also, I'd rather spend a few extra hours in Florida than the cold in Minnesota!

Thanks all!

Diane

You can always take time to get off, watch all the other early people get frantic about getting off to get a flight or even drive home.

On my last cruise, people were sputtering about the long lines and how long a drive they had to travel. Sure they eventually got off, but all frustrated. I'd hate to end a cruise all flustered like that.

Good idea to take your time getting off the ship. You don't want to stress yourself. I just ate with friends from Minneapolis and they were talking about their weather. Don't hurry back. Maybe you can sit outside the terminal somewhere soaking in more warm weather.

IMO, take a later flight.

It's depressing enough that the cruise has ended and the work-related stomach knots are starting to prevail. Don't add in the additional stress of missing your flight because of any number of things that can happen that are out of your control.

For me it's just the opposite. Once the cruise is done, there's no vacation left to enjoy. Nothing's open on the ship, sitting in an airport is torture, and renting a car and driving in Miami to kill a day would be huge stress. Once it's done, I'd much rather do self assist, take an 11am flight home and be home by 4pm to unwind, do laundry, get some groceries, etc. vs. taking a later flight that wouldn't get me home until 9pm or later then having to work the next day.