Planning 10/12/14 Maui wedding!

SoniaB

Looking for help. Anyone have any experiences/tips/ recommendations/contacts to share re. wedding planning or Maui in general? We just want to do a simple Hawaiian ceremony on a budget. It won't be a large celebration, it may be even the 2 of us.

We plan fly in to Honolulu & spend a few days on the big island where we can apply for the license if need be before we board on Sat 10/11.

We plan to get married on the 1st day of 2 port days in Maui on Sunday. Looking forward to hear from our fellow cruise lovers.

There was a review this year of someone who planned a wedding (or renewal of vows) on Maui while on a cruise. You might go through the threads and see if you can find it. We were married on Kauai (20+ years ago) and it was very important to get the license in time for the ceremony. Your idea of getting the license while on Hawaii is a good idea. I think you can make an appointment. Cherie

Maui is a beautiful place to get married - our daughter & son-in-law were married there in 2011, and our son & daughter-in-law were married there in 2013 - we were at both weddings and really enjoyed them!

Our son & DIL used Reverend Al - and I would highly recommend him based on the excellent job that he did, and the very thorough arrangements that his wife, Laurie (who is a wedding planner) made. I'm not sure of the cost though. It was a simple wedding, on the beach, with just immediate family (11 of us in total.)

I can't remember the name of the officiant that our daughter used in 2011 - I can look it up, but he's not someone who I would highly recommend anyways. He was OK, but he didn't make the ceremony special the way Reverend Al did.

Weddings are often discussed on the Maui Tripadvisor forum and there's also a link to more information under the "Top Questions" on the right side of that page (titled, "Getting Married on Maui.")

Just to clarify re your comment about Honolulu - it's on the island of Oahu.

The Island of Hawaii (which you'll be visiting on your cruise) is AKA the Big Island (because of its size.)

Good luck with your plans!:)

Sounds like you are getting some good ideas here. Not sure what atmosphere you are looking for, but we have been to a couple of lovely beaches where weddings have been performed though we've not been involved in them.

One was on the beach at Kapalua Bay early one morning. It is a beautiful beach with a hotel set on the hill above it. Sorry I can't remember the name of the hotel.

The other - more intimate and private - was, I think, past Wailea. You had to crawl through a rock opening to get to this tiny beach. I don't know the name of it but whomever you work with would probably recognize the location. We happened to find it listed in one of the tourist books, and when we stopped there we happened to meet a couple who had been married there and were returning just to recreate the memories.

Sounds very romantic! Have a wonderful time! Oh, and if it's a beach wedding you want, be sure to have an umbrella handy as rain drops fall often and unexpectedly in Hawaii!

Edited by Bucky3