How hard/easy is it to connect to wifi?

Choose Hope

My teens want to bring their electronics on the ship with us ... to listen to music, play games, etc. during down time before bed. Even though we have discussed the high cost of the internet, I am concerned they will log in "real quick" to check e-mails, check Facebook or the like.

How difficult is it to connect to wifi? We are on the Miracle out of L.A. to the Mexican Riviera if that makes a difference. Is there a way to make sure they can't access the internet at all?

Thanks.

It's not difficult at all. I would suggest you get a package. But it's a financial problem waiting to happen if you don't strictly monitor your minutes and just as important that you have signed off properly. That clock will keep on running and you can easily run up a big time bill .

My teens want to bring their electronics on the ship with us ... to listen to music, play games, etc. during down time before bed. Even though we have discussed the high cost of the internet, I am concerned they will log in "real quick" to check e-mails, check Facebook or the like.

How difficult is it to connect to wifi? We are on the Miracle out of L.A. to the Mexican Riviera if that makes a difference. Is there a way to make sure they can't access the internet at all?

Thanks.

It's not hard to connect to, but in my opinion it's worthless. Even using the computers they have on ship I've waited over 5 min for one page to load. But if you're willing to pay and not get much it's easy.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

To avoid any charges on your pre-paid S&S card I believe. I wasn't chancing it on our recent cruise. Usually there's a wifi " station" somewhere near the docks at ports of call. But beware of those too!

On our recent cruise, at Mahagony Bay, Roatan there's a pharmacy in the port area, which was offering all-day wifi (or as long as you cared to use it) for $2. I let my son sign up with his iphone & we texted a few ppl & he sent a few pics & checked his messages. I guess he used it about 2 hours off & on as long as he got a wifi signal in the area of the pharmacy.

SURPRISE! When I got this months bill from ATT there was an extra $40 charge on there for that day for text messages, etc. Not the end of the world but we won't do THAT again.

IF you know how to use JUST wifi (obviously we don't!) I'd tell your kids to wait for the port areas.

I was inclined to lock up all electronics in the safe, mine included. Personally, I'm looking forward to being "disconnected."

I know they like their music and games though (and it does help with the bickering).

They won't have charging privileges on their sign and sail cards, so do I understand correctly that they won't be able to log in?

I heard some devices don't log off properly from the wifi network. It's more than just turning wifi off. You could be charged .75 per minute while you figure it out. They will keep charging you so long as they think you're still online. At the same time, I think they might have an unlimited plan somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's carnival or not.

When are you going? Recently my family hasn't had good luck with Carnival's wifi. Dropped connections, pages never loading, the circle going round and round and round and round and round and round and round and, well you get the idea.

Some of us were on the Conquest and others went on the Miracle.

We have heard rumors onboard that they are upgrading their systems.

Problem is that every web page is very picture intensive. Pictures take up more 'space' than simple text.

The phone providers have data plans.

A trick for using wifi in port---have the phone set in Airplane Mode, then connect to wifi. Won't have any nasty surprises on your phone bill.

Edited by SadieN