Fosters West Bay

Island Dweller

Just want Cruisers who may be planning a trip to Fosters in the next couple of weeks (we're just expecting Carnival July 27th), that there was a fire at the restaurant last night which took out the restaurant and bar, the internet cafe and dive operation. If you had planned on having your shore time at Fosters, you may want to wait a while until they rebuild.

This is a very sad event, but knowing the operators of the resort, it will be up and running shortly.

Best regards,

Island Dweller

Thanks for the update. I've always been confused about Fosters...the website indicates that they will pick up a group of 8 but not less than that number. Where does Salt and Pepper fit into this? Is Paul David doing his tours at Fosters now? Sorry to hear that Fosters had a fire...hopefully they will be up and running soon! I'm sure lots of cruisers will be disappointed since it seems like a popular place.

We are doing a combo...Horseback Ride and time at the beach at Foster's. I emailed the ranch about the info on the boards about the fire and this is the reply.

Dear Cathy,

I spoke with Lana from Foster's yesterday, and she

told me that the fire was not as extensive as rumor

would have you believe. She says all the facilities

besides the restaurant are still intact, and that any

necessary repairs will have been executed by the time

the 27th rolls around. There are plenty of food

stands and restaurants around their area of the beach,

so food will not be an issue. They also have several

bodegas where they can set up an instant bar, so the

drinks will be even less of an issue.

I share your concern, but Lana has allayed my fears,

and I am quite confidant that you will enjoy your day

come July 27.

Dear All,

As I said in my initial post, I'm sure that Fosters would be back soon. When you have one of the most fun resorts on the best beach in Roatan, it doesn't take long. And what more fun than buying a beer on a laidback island from a banana leaf covered hut. Fantastic!

Fosters is located on West Bay Beach. Along the beach is the Mayan Princess, Cabana Roatana, Bananarama Dive Shop and on the far end is the Tabyana Beach party. Lots of places to enjoy and have fun.

Happy travels!

Island Dweller.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my group spent the day at Foster's West Bay, and several more joined them later in the day...and they all raved about it. I missed it because I was motorcycling all over the place. But we all loved Roatan, and I have a feeling we'll be back, so I'm looking forward to seeing Foster's West Bay then... :D

We also spent the day at Fosters!!

It was a beautiful beach. Enjoyed the music, clean restrooms and the drinks :)

I really loved this island, very unspoiled.

The taxi driver took great pride in living there and showed us around. I talked to the kids that sold items on the beach. As poor as they are, they all seemed so happy, they said they have a lot of fun on the beach. They save up their money for school supplies.

They said they only see people every two weeks. Sometimes the Italians come in on Mondays.

Is the Valor the only ship that goes there?

Tell me how much it was to taxi to Fosters? Did you just go on your own or did you go through the resort ? doesn't Salt and Pepper go there now too? What kind of facilities to they have? Is there umbrellas or tiki huts for shade?

Thanks,

Mary

Tell me how much it was to taxi to Fosters? Did you just go on your own or did you go through the resort ? doesn't Salt and Pepper go there now too? What kind of facilities to they have? Is there umbrellas or tiki huts for shade?

Thanks,

Mary

Our cab ride was $15.00 per person RT. The cab will come back & get you, that is when he gets paid. You can negotiate a little. Some people paid $20.00 pp and got a city tour as well. Ours gave us a small tour & stopped for pictures.

We just went to Fosters on our own. It had a few tiki huts, loungechairs, a few umbrellas were up but I didn't inquire about them.

Don't know anything about Salt & pepper.

Clean restrooms, a bar, a place to get some food too.

Interesting info about your talk with the kids, SunFun. Somebody at the office today asked my how many kids I had seen begging for money. I actually can't recall seeing one person, on any of our excursions, simply begging. The kids in Roatan wanted to sell things (bracelets, coffee, vanilla, etc)...but they weren't just asking for money.

The only place I saw people openly begging for money was in Miami. Go figure.

Interesting info about your talk with the kids, SunFun. Somebody at the office today asked my how many kids I had seen begging for money. I actually can't recall seeing one person, on any of our excursions, simply begging. The kids in Roatan wanted to sell things (bracelets, coffee, vanilla, etc)...but they weren't just asking for money.

The only place I saw people openly begging for money was in Miami. Go figure.

I agree, I didn't see any beggers. They were proud of what they sold. I was telling two teenage boys they can make Christams ornaments out of shells, write Honduras on them and sell them. They were excited by the idea. I couldn't find any Christams ornaments for my collection at Roaton.

Good idea about the ornaments.

We were approached by kids outside The View restaurant. I didn't want to carry anything extra, even though I had my backpack, so I politely said,"no thanks."

My friend who was riding with me also said no, but I think one of the kids saw a weakness. The kid just stood there, and eventually the guy dug into his pocket. But to my surprise, rather than buying something, he gave the kid a dollar, and said "now get out of here!" Of course the kid took the buck and ran off with a "thank you."

The Valor is the only ship going to Roatan now that it is off season. That (every other) Wednesday is a big day for the local economy.

We loved Fosters. The beach area was clean, we set our chairs under some large plants for shade and relaxed like nothing else was there. The kids enjoyed snorkeling the coral off to the right of the beach. I found that everyone who offered to sell us anything left immediately after our "no, thank you" and may have returned later but only in the normal round of the beach sales. This was a lovely place to spend the day and it is almost unanimous that the ONLY problem with Roatan was that the stay was way too short. Folks I have met in the Bay Islands of Honduras are the lovliest people in the world and have hearts as big as the outdoors. You will find yourself lucky to meet the native population whether taxi driver or salesperson or passing stranger.

I will keep this part of the world as a definite return site, and soon I hope.

myquest23 - did you just take a taxi on your own to Foster's? How much did you pay? Also, I understand the chairs and use of the facility is $5 per person? How was the food at the restaurant? The menu looks good and extremely reasonable prices? What was the cost of snorkel rental?

Thanks!

We did not take a taxi to the beach - we rented scooters at Captain Van's and that included a ride from the ship to their shop. It seems like about $15-20 per person round trip, negotiable at the pier and pay when you are dropped back off to ensure your return ride.

We also did not eat there so I can't respond about that. We were charged $15 for three lounge chairs and set them up and we were ready for a day at a fantastic beach. Get there, get there early, and you can walk up towards Tabyana and find plenty of stands selling what you need - cigars and smoothies for me.

This was a lovely place to spend the day and it is almost unanimous that the ONLY problem with Roatan was that the stay was way too short. Folks I have met in the Bay Islands of Honduras are the lovliest people in the world and have hearts as big as the outdoors. You will find yourself lucky to meet the native population whether taxi driver or salesperson or passing stranger.

I will keep this part of the world as a definite return site, and soon I hope.

I completely agree. I wasn't ready to leave at all. I wish my Western Carribean cruise in January included this port instead of boring Key West.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent the day at Fosters. Did it through Salt & Pepper. The beach is beautiful and not crowded at all. The lobster lunch was fantastic. The boat dock is right there at Fosters & for $2 can get a ride to West End. They will also take you out fishing or snorkleing. You get lounge chairs and a table under a palapa. We had a great day.:)

How was your experience with Salt and Pepper? I wasn't sure if Paul was still doing this but thought I read it was actually at Foster's. Also, did you think it was better to go through Salt and Pepper or to just do it on your own? How does price compare? Also, did they pick you up right at the pier? Did you have to have a minimum number of people? Is there a website with current information?

Thanks,

Mary

I was in Roatan a year ago and we went sailing and snorkeling all day so I didn't really get to see much of the island but always wanted to come back. Well, my wish is coming true and I will be there in Mar 06 and plan on spending my day on the island. Fosters sounds great. I also would love any more info and especially if there are any web sites. Thanks everyone.

How was your experience with Salt and Pepper? I wasn't sure if Paul was still doing this but thought I read it was actually at Foster's. Also, did you think it was better to go through Salt and Pepper or to just do it on your own? How does price compare? Also, did they pick you up right at the pier? Did you have to have a minimum number of people? Is there a website with current information?

Thanks,

Mary

We were very happy with Salt & Pepper. Paul wasn't around but it went smoothly anyway. It was at Fosters & there is no minimum amount of people required. As you can read in my privious post, we had a blast. As far as price goes how can you beat it for thirty bucks.:)

Just wanted to cut and paste the response I received from Paul David at Salt and Pepper. I sent the inquiry from the website yesterday morning, received an automatic e-mail and then when I got to work this working, had the e-mail from Paul David. Nice job on customer service!

hi mary, many thanks your kind email. would love to

accomodate your party here at salt & pepper part of

fosters westbay beach resort. yes lobster lunch,

transportation, full use of the resort facility incl

beach lounge chairs, fresh water showers etc is $30

per person. the boat snorkel including snorkel equip,

guide and boat captain is $20 per person and lasts

about 1hr 20mins. if your are on the valor we pick you

up at the dock 7am our local time so you have plenty

of time to enjoy our services. payment is on arrival

to the resort, cash or trvlchcks. pls confirm back and

will kindly book your party, best regards paul david