Looking for some advice - proposing in the Bahamas

Netsurfer733

This is my first post on this site, and on top of that I am a complete noob when it comes to travel, let alone cruising - but in three days I plan to surprise my girlfriend with our first-ever cruise. We live in Maryland, so we'll be taking the Carnival Pride to the Bahamas on a 7-day, to Freeport and Nassau (and Florida) for a day each. It will be from January 12th-19th, and I hear that families are not swarming so much during non-summer months, which is good.

(I booked this cruise in November thinking I would have to do it then to take advantage of a sale since I did not know any better, but I feel it can still be a wonderful and romantic experience if we play our cards right...I hope!)

I know her, and so I know that if we could just find a great moment - one that is fairly private - I would be able to propose to her in a way that she would adore. I just want to be somewhere very close to nature with a great feel to it, and some relative privacy.

I have indeed come to learn that Freeport and Nassau are very built up, but I have found hope in some excursions to the more private islands. Again, I'm entirely green about all this, so I must ask - what recommendations might you guys have for places to go to pop the question? What sorts of destinations might work, specifically?

Thanks for any advice you all can offer!

EDIT: I did get the insurance so I can get a full refund in some circumstances, but in what circumstances? I'm thinking about cancelling for a 50% refund if you guys can come up with a much better place to go/thing to do for about $1,000.

Edited by Netsurfer733

These are some great options for sure, thanks!

Just so I'm sure I have all the options I need though, what private islands might be best? The gardens might still seem built up in some ways, which might give the entire place a more artificial feel than I was hoping for. I'm thinking a very empty sort of beautiful beach on a private island, perhaps such as Gold rock Beach http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147422-d147585-Reviews-Gold_Rock_Beach-Lucayan_National_Park_Grand_Bahama_Island_Bahamas.html , or this 'Sandy Toes' one http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d2018593-Reviews-Sandy_Toes-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html .

Are these any good, or do you guys know of anything better for a beach (or other naturey area) that is bound to have scarcely anyone around for hopefully even hundreds of feet?

This is my first post on this site, and on top of that I am a complete noob when it comes to travel, let alone cruising - but in three days I plan to surprise my girlfriend with our first-ever cruise. We live in Maryland, so we'll be taking the Carnival Pride to the Bahamas on a 7-day, to Freeport and Nassau (and Florida) for a day each. It will be from January 12th-19th, and I hear that families are not swarming so much during non-summer months, which is good.

(I booked this cruise in November thinking I would have to do it then to take advantage of a sale since I did not know any better, but I feel it can still be a wonderful and romantic experience if we play our cards right...I hope!)

I know her, and so I know that if we could just find a great moment - one that is fairly private - I would be able to propose to her in a way that she would adore. I just want to be somewhere very close to nature with a great feel to it, and some relative privacy.

I have indeed come to learn that Freeport and Nassau are very built up, but I have found hope in some excursions to the more private islands. Again, I'm entirely green about all this, so I must ask - what recommendations might you guys have for places to go to pop the question? What sorts of destinations might work, specifically?

Thanks for any advice you all can offer!

EDIT: I did get the insurance so I can get a full refund in some circumstances, but in what circumstances? I'm thinking about cancelling for a 50% refund if you guys can come up with a much better place to go/thing to do for about $1,000.

I am thinking of some place that would be Ironic. Go to Atlantis' water park and propose to her a the top of the HUGE Slide that is aptly called the Leap of Fate.

Good luck on your proposal. I booked the catameran and snorkeling excursion on our trip. I contacted the Catameran company and set up my proposal. I sent them a bed sheet I had painted, "will you marry me?" with our names on it. They placed it on the ocean floor amongst the coral and we snorkeled over the top of it. My wife about drowned from shock and sucking in water but we made it through and she said yes. I had her engagement ring in my swimming suit pocket tied to a red bandana in case we dropped it. The crew was more than happy to help and they even gave us a bottle of champagne to celebrate the moment once we got back on board. After the snokeling, we had the catameran drop us off at Paradise Island and went to Atlantis, it was a great day!