Wrinkles on the Breakaway - fabric steamers and requesting an iron?

Bluewake

Ah, the great wrinkles dilemma! We will be on Breakaway in January. I do understand there are no self-service laundry rooms but I've heard you can ask your room steward for an iron and board for a couple of hours....is that true on the Breakaway?

Also I know that irons are forbidden but I've searched this board and have found conflicting responses about hand held fabric steamers. Some threads say absolutely not and other posters say they have taken fabric steamers and left them in plain view and never had a problem. Does anyone know for sure?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Bluewake

Ah, the great wrinkles dilemma! We will be on Breakaway in January. I do understand there are no self-service laundry rooms but I've heard you can ask your room steward for an iron and board for a couple of hours....is that true on the Breakaway?

Also I know that irons are forbidden but I've searched this board and have found conflicting responses about hand held fabric steamers. Some threads say absolutely not and other posters say they have taken fabric steamers and left them in plain view and never had a problem. Does anyone know for sure?

I can only concur that I have seen others post about taking small steamers with them. One lady said she found a small one at Target for @ $20 and it worked great. I always meant to look for it!

I too would like to know about the steamer issue. Up until about 5 years ago we took a small steamer with us on all sailings. Now it seems they are forbidden on all lines. NCL folks chime in please :)

Another option is canned aerosol wrinkle remover. I was skeptical myself till using it, it is remarkable and wrinkles fall right out! Now, if you have something like a man's dress cotton shirt with a lot of wrinkles, it will take a good bit and the shirt will be pretty wet, so have to do in advance, but it will do the job. Just do them the night before needed. :)

debbie

Another option is canned aerosol wrinkle remover. I was skeptical myself till using it, it is remarkable and wrinkles fall right out! Now, if you have something like a man's dress cotton shirt with a lot of wrinkles, it will take a good bit and the shirt will be pretty wet, so have to do in advance, but it will do the job. Just do them the night before needed. :)

debbie

I agree with you. I use DOWNEY WRINKLE AWAY. A small can $5 at Container Store. It does the job! Here is a tip: Use a sock or plastic glove, especially if you use hand lotion like me. I actually have an old travel iron where I cut off the cord and I use it to cold iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

From NCL's guest conduct policy:

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed and may require a converter.

That would make it seem that a steamer is not allowed, however - we just brought one on our last sailing. My bags were inspected post x-ray (our clothes steamer is a cylinder, so probably looked like a bottle of booze on the x-ray), because there was a note from NCL in my bag. The note said that everything was OK, I didn't have to go to the naughty room/have any prohibited items.

Hang your stuff in the bathroom, turn the hot water on high and shut the door. 10 minutes later, wrinkle-free!!

Edited by Pennstateman

Don't know about the steamer but yes, you can call guest services to request an iron and ironing board, they will bring it but give you a 2 hour limit and you will have to call when you are done and they will pick it up.