Car rental IAH for Galveston cruise

BlondeValor

Has anyone ever rented from "off airport" sites and kept the car thru their cruise? I would have never have booked out of Galveston if I knew what a pain and expense it was to get from the airports to port (two days early too). Anyways, it appears that if I rent from an off-airport location the car rental prices drop from $900 for the 9 days to a reasonable $300 for that time (and I can still drop off at the airport). Add in a taxi ride to the off-airport site, parking at the cruise port and gas and it looks about the same price as shuttles and taxis for 4 people. Way more flexibility too... Am I missing something?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

A word of advice with regard to the smaller rental agencies, particularly those that are not national chains: First, be very aware that they will try to upsell you like crazy. Examine your contract, and make sure you are not paying any hidden fees or charges.

Second, examine the exterior of your car VERY carefully. Any small dings, marks, whatever - take a picture of them with your cell phone, and make sure you note them on the rental form. Better still, bring them to the attention of the rental agent BEFORE you leave the lot. There are many, many accounts of people bringing back their rental cars to these smaller agencies, and later receiving huge bills for body work, for things that did not happen while they had the car.

Beyond all that, why would you want to pay for a rental car to sit at the pier parking in Galveston for a week (or however long your cruise is)? My suggestion: book a car service for both ends of the cruise. The price would have to be less than what you're planning.

Best I can see for a car service is $140 each way from 24hourtaxi or something like that. With tip that's $160 each way, and the reviews are mixed. Then we'd still need taxi to the port from our hotel and we'd be relying on someone else's schedule. Appreciate the feedback, and the price quoted was from a Budget Car Rental national chain, not a mom and pop type shop. I guess for two days before a cruise I see a bunch of freedom by having our own vehicle. If there was a spot to drop off at the port I'd only rent one way but that doesn't really exist... Was just looking to see if others have done this to get around the outrageous airport rental fees and if it worked out.

I have the same conundrum and the real big issue is that there are no car rental agencies in Galveston... Ok, there is one but they close at noon on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays - and that is a national chain.

I can't wait for my Navigator cruise in April, but I really don't think I will book another cruise out of Galveston - it is too much of a pain to plan the logistics.

Best I can see for a car service is $140 each way from 24hourtaxi or something like that. With tip that's $160 each way, and the reviews are mixed. Then we'd still need taxi to the port from our hotel and we'd be relying on someone else's schedule. Appreciate the feedback, and the price quoted was from a Budget Car Rental national chain, not a mom and pop type shop. I guess for two days before a cruise I see a bunch of freedom by having our own vehicle. If there was a spot to drop off at the port I'd only rent one way but that doesn't really exist... Was just looking to see if others have done this to get around the outrageous airport rental fees and if it worked out.

Sorry, did not realize you were going to be in Houston for two days before your cruise. In that case, yes - having a car of your own would definitely be an asset.

Glad to hear you're working with a national chain. Budget should be free from those kind of problems. Enterprise, not so much. "no Name" brand, definitely be careful.

You're right, the car service would be around the same price, without having to pay for cruise port parking for however many days..that's why I suggested it. But again, if you want to do tourist things in Houston, you'll definitely need a car.

I came to the same conclusion.

We are flying into Hobby two days before our Carnival cruise,staying on Galveston Island, then going directly to the Houston port upon disembarkation for a Princess cruise, then leaving for home the same day we disembark from the Princess cruise.

After doing all the math, and taking into account the definite possibility that one or more of the cruise ships may be delayed because of fog, I decided to rent a car. Even though we will leave it parked for almost all of the time, and pay for parking, it will be more convenient than getting transfers to and from the airport, cab between ports, and getting around the island for 2 days.

I reserved an economy car from Dollar at Hobby airport for 15 days for $238. Figuring about $50 in gas, and $75 to park at Bayport, we will pay $353. Transportation from Hobby to Galveston via CoolTours is $100, taxis around Galveston I estimated at about $100, Paradise Taxi from Galveston to Bayport quoted me $70 + tip, and taxi from Bayport to Hobby will be at least $50, more if we get stuck in traffic.

So it looks like we would spend about the same amount either way. I will say that had I thought about the ground transportation ahead of time, we would not have chosen to cruise out of Galveston/Houston.