Delta EC from JFK - BCN

joyus

Has anyone experienced flying EC on Delta's A330-300? We've purchased it one way so far @ only $49pp, but I'm curious if it's worth it for us. We're 5`8", both slim and don't drink alcohol, so the complimentary drinks are no benefit for us (wish we had the option to substitute a meal from BE instead :-) ). Knowing that would regular economy work just as well for us?

Edited by joyus

Well personally my husband and I just returned from that itinerary JFK to Barcelona and back on Delta flights, and we didn't upgrade and it was very cramped. My husband is 6' 4" and the leg room was terrible for him especially for that long of a trip (ours was non-stop). I am only 5' 4" and we are both average built but I admit it was difficult to rest comfortably in those seats. It also depends on where your seats are located, for our next trip I chose aisle seats across from one another so that we are still next to each other but have extra aisle leg room. We were really exhausted from our trip over due to lack of any sleep. Also something to consider, you never know who will be seated next to you, and that also can be an issue. Good Luck, I think you made a good choice in upgrading, I know I definitely will for any international flights from now on.

Flying internationally on DL, we are always either EC or business. The benefits that would matter to you are boarding early (no worries about bin space), extra space (inches matter for knee space and recline), and getting to the immigration lines before everyone behind you (most of the plane.)

This is all about economics and personal priorities. For the TATL flight, EC on DL will give you: 1) increased pitch between rows, 2) increased seat recline, 3) zone 1 boarding (which is actually the 4th group to board), 4) seats in the front of the coach section.

Does about 3 inches more pitch matter? For sure. Recline? Depends on the individual. Boarding? Definitely better than zone 3. Is it worth the cost -- you tell me. For some it's a cheap luxury, for others it's wasted cash. Only you can decide, not anyone else. So you get facts for you to make up your own mind.

Three more observations. As for someone unknown next to you....if on a 330, you can easily pick the 2 seat side and be by yourself. Same with the 767. As for alcohol, DL now has complimentary alcohol on all intercontinental flights throughout coach.

And for the person who wants "aisle leg room" -- if you have your legs in the aisles, you are creating a safety hazard, especially in a darkened cabin. Your legroom space is in front of you, not out to the side in the aisle. The aisle is to remain clear. If I come along and trip over your leg, I hope that I fall on it with sufficient impact to result in a fracture. Because such "me first" thinking deserves a consequence.

Flying internationally on DL, we are always either EC or business. The benefits that would matter to you are boarding early (no worries about bin space), extra space (inches matter for knee space and recline), and getting to the immigration lines before everyone behind you (most of the plane.)

We just returned from a Frankfurt to Atlanta flight in EC and the bins in our area were PACKED when we got on. All the "people who need assistance" boarded first and took all the space in the bins. Of course, it was not JUST the people who needed a little extra time, but their extended family boarded, too. First time I have encountered this situation.

I always pay the extra and fly EC when I fly with Delta. Personally, I think it is worth the extra cost. JMHO.

There is a serious risk if a person has legs extended into the aisle. The beverage/food carts are heavy. Getting hit by one of those could be a life changer/trip destroyer. You need to keep your legs under the seat in front of you.

You have no chance to get a meal upgrade, but you can buy food in the airport once past security to take on board.