Spring Break 2014

Scotch Mist

Hope all you cruisers out there can help?!

Can someone please tell me when Spring Break is likely to be in Florida 2014?

I'm currently planning on sending my parents on a cruise out of Miami next year for their anniversary and my dads birthday. I want to avoid Spring Break as I have heard some horror stories about misbehaving college students! Also I've been told Carnival suspend the Cheers programme. I don't want to spend a small fortune sending them all the way from Scotland and them not enjoying their special cruise!

:eek::confused::rolleyes::o:beer:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forums mobile app

I grew up in South FLA. Sorry to tell you , but Spring Break runs from the end of February until the beginning of May. Each school has a different time, but there are spring breakers there through that entire time frame. If you really want to avoid them book after May. But even then you can get the folks celebrating for graduation.

I also grew up in Florida, here are a few examples.

Leon County (Tallahassee) March 17th - 21st

Dade County (Miami) March 24th - 28th

Orange County (Orlando) March 24th - 28th

Alachua County (Gainesville) March 24th - 28th

Duval County (Jacksonville) March 17th - 21st

Hillsborough County (Tampa) March 10th - 14th

Volusia County (Daytona) March 24th - 28th

As the other poster said, pretty much the last week of February all the way through the first week of April is not safe if you want to avoid spring break.

Spring Break covers any period of time from Feb to the end of April. Colleges from all over the country will be sending students to Florida. However, they will mostly be on the shorter cruises. If you can find an 8 day cruise that will have fewer college students.

US spring breaks run from early March to early May.

Every school district has their own schedule.

Out of curiosity I checked out University of Florida for you and found theirs is the first week of March.

The Miami-Dade County schools(4th largest district in the nation) is the last week of March.

You can find out break schedules for any school, K-university, by going to their webpage. Most have schedules listed for several years in advance.

Keep in mind that people who cruise out of Miami are from all over the US, not just Florida. So even if most Florida schools are on break in March, schools in the other 49 states may be off in April.

If college kids is what you are trying to avoid, it's best to cruise September-Feburary. Or take a cruise longer than 8 days. Or try Holland America or a region that isn't on break(Europe, Asia, Australia...)

Edited by Lerin

We are from Florida (live only one hr to the nearest port and four from the furthest) are cruising during spring break but going out of San Juan.

Less spring breakers... actually cost wasn't that much more to fly either with nicer islands too.

Cathy

Deary me!!

I'll be sailing out of Miami on 28th March. It'll be a seven day cruise, think that'll be quite safe to not have madly wild college students on??

believe it or not traveling to Florida from the UK was cheapest at this time. We actually booked a package with two weeks in a motel, flights with Virgin and a hire car (then booked the cruise separately) as it was cheaper than the price of return flights for two people!!!

The cruise obviously adds a cost to the holiday. BUT...... it's a must, really!!

Just my 2 cents.....We live in South Florida and am a teacher, so just remember that there is Spring Break for K-12 as well then......Palm Beach County's break is the week of March 16th.....lots of families then as well as college breakers, so if that's not what they/you would want, maybe look at other times.........:rolleyes:

I cruise every year during the K-12 spring break and we have never been on a ship with misbehaving college students. We usually cruise in late March through mid-April. As long as you book a 7 day or longer cruise, you won't have a problem with the college crowds. The ships have strict age restrictions, as well, that discourage rowdy students.

If you cruise the week before or after Easter, then you will likely have many families with school-age children onboard. We've only been bothered on one out of 8 cruises and that is only because we had a crying infant on one side of us and herds of noisy teenagers running down the hallway late each night.

For that reason, I prefer Princess over Carnival. There are considerably less children onboard Princess.

Deary me!!

I'll be sailing out of Miami on 28th March. It'll be a seven day cruise, think that'll be quite safe to not have madly wild college students on??

believe it or not traveling to Florida from the UK was cheapest at this time. We actually booked a package with two weeks in a motel, flights with Virgin and a hire car (then booked the cruise separately) as it was cheaper than the price of return flights for two people!!!

The cruise obviously adds a cost to the holiday. BUT...... it's a must, really!!

Honestly, you won't have a problem with college students.

The college students won't really be a huge issue for my parents. The bigger issue is the Cheers program. I've been told that it's not available during spring break so desperately trying to find out when Carnival classes spring break. Does anyone know?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forums mobile app