Looking to get new camera for cruise next week! Would like WIFI

LiseD

I would love some advice! I would like to get a point and shoot type camera but would love one that has WIFI built in....not for the cruise....too expensive to use WIFI!! But for when I use it around home.

Any suggestions? I would like to stay under $250

Thanks for your help!!!

I actually prefer the eye.fi cards since they connect directly to my access point and download the pictures automagically to my computer without me having to do anything (except have the computer turned on).

Make sure you get the Pro version since that is the one that uploads to a computer.

I can use the card in any camera that takes an SD card, and it uploads the pictures without me having to do anything. It even will erase previously uploaded pictures so that you have essentially unlimited memory.

I have not tried any of the cameras that have WiFi in them, so I cannot comment on them.

I also like the Eyefi pro x2 cards, they allow you to use the card in direct mode, so you don't have to use the ship's wifi.

Built in wifi is only good if you can turn it off, because it is a bit of a battery hog. I chew through batteries if I let my camera sync to the laptop for all the pictures. It is faster to use the SD card reader in the laptop to copy the pictures and does not kill my camera battery. The Eyefi card allows selective wifi capabilities by just popping it in or out and using a standard SD card when you don't need the wifi so you can save battery.

Also notice that connecting to the ship's wifi is free, you only have to pay if you wish to access the internet. You can view portions of Carnival's site and on some ships you can view your daily funtimes, if you are cruising carnival.

I would love some advice! I would like to get a point and shoot type camera but would love one that has WIFI built in....not for the cruise....too expensive to use WIFI!! But for when I use it around home.

Thanks for your help!!!

What do you think you will be using the WIFI in camera for? Non connect to the internet and only provide a local WIFI between camera and your computer.

Well....I like on my cell phone that I can post photos to Facebook or email to family/friends....and it sounded like you could do that? As you can tell, I am NO expert!!! Just sounded like a nice feature...

You might be able to do that with some of the cameras, but most probably would not be capable of doing that. If you want to do that, then a cell phone might be a better option. Most of the time wifi in cameras is just used to get the pictures to a laptop, tablet or into a phone, then you can use those devices to post your pictures to online sites for sharing.

The bottom line here is that WiFi in Cameras is still in it's infancy. Lots of issues for some, not so for others. I would suggest that you go get into the Public Web Site for your brand and type of camera and see what others are saying. Most WiFi has alot of latency. That is technospeak for what you think you are seeing or doing is way later than now, like 4 seconds later. GoPro Hero 3+ has the least at around just under 1 second for remote view. Yes, you can get it in cards and they do not have much memory and depend on a tethered laptop (via WiFi) to do the storage of the pictures. I am not looking at this level of technology for at least 3 years. By that time most of the bugs will be worked out or it will die. As others have said it eats Batteries in it's current state.

Well....I like on my cell phone that I can post photos to Facebook or email to family/friends....and it sounded like you could do that? As you can tell, I am NO expert!!! Just sounded like a nice feature...

I don't know of a camera that allows access to the internet. For example we have a Nikon 3200 with the WIFI adapter. This allows remote control over a WIFI connect to your Apple or android table or phone. Allows you to upload pictures the device and/or control the camera from the device. You would need to transfer the picture to the device and then use the devices WIFI connection to the internet to get to Facebook etc.

So, use your phone or table to pictures and then find some place to connect to the internet and then Facebook.

Thanks for all the great info....think I will skip the WIFI for now and like other said either get a WIFI card or just wait a few years as like everything, I bet it will get a lot better!!

The WIFI card operates the same way. Does not connect to the internet for things like Facebook or browsing the WEB or email, etc.

Thanks for your help!!!

Hi there! If you're looking for a compact point and shoot, I'd recommend the Sony DSC-WX300. That's the one I have, and it's phenomenal. The zoom is incredible (that's mainly what I bought it for - zoom for photos and video at concerts). 18.2 megapixels, very good consumer reviews. I believe it's on sale at Best Buy right now for around $220.

Here's a photo I took in very low light, with the zoom at about 20x:

2z85n4l.jpg