classical music

stereo

Your forgetting socioeconomic status. People of all age can have an appreciation of classical music.

Of course anyone can have an appreciation of classical music, or any other venue. This is a completely different statement than your earlier claim that age has nothing to do with taste.

I live in a high income university town (again, a statistical statement: much higher median income, and higher educational level, than the average Virginia town) We have many classical music concerts and concerts by the most popular rock bands as well -- one of the advantages of a university town. (I imagine "rock" is not the right word. I much prefer classical music to whatever it is that the popular bands are playing these days.)

I guarantee that the audience in the rock concerts will always be vastly younger than the audience in the classical concerts. Just pass the theater when the audiences from a rock concert and a classical concerts are exiting and it will be like having just used a time warp machine! We used to always have annual subscriptions to visiting classical string concerts and visiting classical band/orchestra concerts (when I was more mobile), and we could always count on seeing many of our 50 - 70 year old friends. No way that would happen in a modern pop concert.

Or watch MTV. Or go to a movie. The audiences when either venue is portrayed have completely different age demographics. Either the producers all have missed the fact that age doesn't matter, or you need to give a little thought to the meaning of statistical statements.

Age does of course matter, but your current statement that anyone can appreciate classical music totally misses the point, and claiming that it is socioeconomic class and not age which accounts for the difference in demographics -- well, wow. You'd sure have trouble convincing my kid's friends of that, and they are quite a bit older than your kids.

Edited by billie5

What they don't seem to recognize is that by having multiple music types playing in different venues, they can get more people in those venues spending money. If the only choice is rock or loud pop, we'll sit on the balcony. If there's a string trio/quartet or cocktail pianist doing show tunes, we'll be there. So why not go back to the multiple styles and offer a real choice?

j

Of course anyone can have an appreciation of classical music, or any other venue. This is a completely different statement than your earlier claim that age has nothing to do with taste.

I live in a high income university town (again, a statistical statement: much higher median income, and higher educational level, than the average Virginia town) We have many classical music concerts and concerts by the most popular rock bands as well -- one of the advantages of a university town. (I imagine "rock" is not the right word. I much prefer classical music to whatever it is that the popular bands are playing these days.)

I guarantee that the audience in the rock concerts will always be vastly younger than the audience in the classical concerts. Just pass the theater when the audiences from a rock concert and a classical concerts are exiting and it will be like having just used a time warp machine! We used to always have annual subscriptions to visiting classical string concerts and visiting classical band/orchestra concerts (when I was more mobile), and we could always count on seeing many of our 50 - 70 year old friends. No way that would happen in a modern pop concert.

Or watch MTV. Or go to a movie. The audiences when either venue is portrayed have completely different age demographics. Either the producers all have missed the fact that age doesn't matter, or you need to give a little thought to the meaning of statistical statements.

Age does of course matter, but your current statement that anyone can appreciate classical music totally misses the point, and claiming that it is socioeconomic class and not age which accounts for the difference in demographics -- well, wow. You'd sure have trouble convincing my kid's friends of that, and they are quite a bit older than your kids.

Am I missing the point? The thread is about the disappearance of classical music. I simply stated that I enjoyed the pianist on our last cruise and that I would be disappointed if they only offered crappy bar music.

Yes my family loves classical music, but is it the only music we love? NO. X should continue to offer a variety of music on their ships, as they have a variety of passengers.

Hi all--My spouse and I returned from a lovely transatlantic cruise on the Equinox--a classical string trio or quartet was missing--In the evening at various lounges trios and quartets would play jazz and pop music--while they were entertaining after a while they all sounded the same--guest relstions said that they thought that the lack of a chamber music trio was fleetwide {a pianist did play in the main theater]---Any thoughts???

I was on this cruise and found the lack of classical music venues disappointing as well.....even a bit of string music before/after dinner would have been welcome. This was a great cruise in most other areas, plus a special bit of pure happenstance. One night very late in the Ensemble Lounge, the group scheduled to play had an illness and the pianist for the Elaine Abras jazz group was on hand to more or less fill in. As it turned out, the place was somewhat empty and the pianist (Zoltan Lengyel from Hungary) took a few of us into the area around the grand piano in Michael's Club for what turned out to be a classical piano mini-concert. Imagine leaning into a cushy wingback chair with your drink while an extremely talented artist played your favorites.

I asked Zoltan if he could do this again and he graciously obliged several nights later on his own time. I've thought several times since the cruise about what the other classical music lovers missed and have wished that Celebrity could have better used the talent on board.

I am looking forward to my Caribbean cruise on the Equinox in late February when I understand that many of the same people will still be performing.....keeping my fingers crossed that Zoltan L. will still be there.

By the way, if you like a soft Brazilian breezy jazz sound, be sure to enjoy the Elaine Abras group.....she is truly a great entertainer.....would pay to see her anywhere.

This will be my 3rd trip on the Equinox, so I guess I'm a fan of the Celebrity treatment.

Constellation had a string trio in sailings from Istanbul as well as the Transatlantic in November. They were wonderful.

We also had a great party band and several guitarists.

A jazz group also played almost nightly but we did their style did not attract a strong following.

We were also on the Consellation out of Istanbul to Greek Islands in Oct and the string trio was wonderful. We enjoyed listening to them before dinner each night and then at various other times during the cruise. Quite a change for someone who played in a rock band during the 60s but then I enjoy (almost) all kinds of music and this was something I don't get the opportunity to hear performed live very often. I also enjoyed the acappella group on the Solstice in May but I heard they will not be back either. I suppose to appease the "younger" crowd there will be an increase in Rap or some similar style. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

The Infinity had a string trio a few weeks ago, I enjoyed finding them in a lounge every afternoon. I'd be sad if Celebrity is no longer renewing contracts of these groups.

Were they from Russia? When we were on the Infinity in May they had a wonderful string trio from Russia that we were fortunate to enjoy on our 23 day sailing. We were so disappointed on the Summit NE/Canada cruise as there was no classical music.

Am I missing the point? The thread is about the disappearance of classical music. I simply stated that I enjoyed the pianist on our last cruise and that I would be disappointed if they only offered crappy bar music.

Yes my family loves classical music, but is it the only music we love? NO. X should continue to offer a variety of music on their ships, as they have a variety of passengers.

And with this part of what you stated I completely 100% agree.

What they don't seem to recognize is that by having multiple music types playing in different venues, they can get more people in those venues spending money. If the only choice is rock or loud pop, we'll sit on the balcony. If there's a string trio/quartet or cocktail pianist doing show tunes, we'll be there. So why not go back to the multiple styles and offer a real choice?

j

Wish they would play different music in different venues. I'm just the opposite of you. Play classical and I'll stay on my balcony, but if they play rock, pop, rap, dance music loud, I'll be there spending money.

I was on this cruise and found the lack of classical music venues disappointing as well.....even a bit of string music before/after dinner would have been welcome. This was a great cruise in most other areas, plus a special bit of pure happenstance. One night very late in the Ensemble Lounge, the group scheduled to play had an illness and the pianist for the Elaine Abras jazz group was on hand to more or less fill in. As it turned out, the place was somewhat empty and the pianist (Zoltan Lengyel from Hungary) took a few of us into the area around the grand piano in Michael's Club for what turned out to be a classical piano mini-concert. Imagine leaning into a cushy wingback chair with your drink while an extremely talented artist played your favorites.

I asked Zoltan if he could do this again and he graciously obliged several nights later on his own time. I've thought several times since the cruise about what the other classical music lovers missed and have wished that Celebrity could have better used the talent on board.

I am looking forward to my Caribbean cruise on the Equinox in late February when I understand that many of the same people will still be performing.....keeping my fingers crossed that Zoltan L. will still be there.

By the way, if you like a soft Brazilian breezy jazz sound, be sure to enjoy the Elaine Abras group.....she is truly a great entertainer.....would pay to see her anywhere.

This will be my 3rd trip on the Equinox, so I guess I'm a fan of the Celebrity treatment.

We are on the Equinox in 12 days and I am so happy to hear that I can enjoy Brazilian music onboard. Thanks for that information. Can you tell me where the group usually plays? Ensemble lounge? Also, I will definitely look for Zoltan. I hope that Celebrity is listening.

j

Well said. We agree completely. Choice would work for everyone - and would get us all off of our balconies.

We are on the Equinox in 12 days and I am so happy to hear that I can enjoy Brazilian music onboard. Thanks for that information. Can you tell me where the group usually plays? Ensemble lounge? Also, I will definitely look for Zoltan. I hope that Celebrity is listening.

Yes, the Ensemble Lounge is the best place to enjoy Elaine and her group. I found her there for a set before/after late dinner on a rotating schedule with other groups/individuals. Elaine Abras and Zoltan Lengyel both have several videos on Youtube. Zoltan is amazingly versatile as both a jazz accompanist and a concert pianist. He wasn't scheduled for any individual appearances, so it was a fluke that I got to hear his classical performances. Happy cruising on the Equinox!

Were they from Russia? When we were on the Infinity in May they had a wonderful string trio from Russia that we were fortunate to enjoy on our 23 day sailing. We were so disappointed on the Summit NE/Canada cruise as there was no classical music.

I am not sure where they were from but I'm pretty sure they were called the Lucky Charms Trio? If this sounds familiar I can get the Daily out and verify it.

I am not sure where they were from but I'm pretty sure they were called the Lucky Charms Trio? If this sounds familiar I can get the Daily out and verify it.

No, they were the Fiore Strings or something like that. Shirley

Classical doesn't draw the younger big spenders X wants.

Sad! My husband and I are in our 20s and are both classical musicians and classical music lovers. While we'll book Celebrity anyway, variety is always best, and we agree that some classical offerings would be great.

Edited by Viva_la_Vida
grammar