Avenue Gallery Parade Package

skandls

I have been researching Mardi Gras parade viewing options. We will take our chances one night - but the other we would like bathrooms (seems this is VERY important) and a viewing area. There are a couple of options - the Avenue Gallery on St Charles with food and drinks for $140pp or grandstand seats on St Charles with VIP tent and potties for $30pp. This would be for Thu Feb 27 or Fri Feb 28. Any input would be appreciated.

I would find a bar or restaurant somewhere along the parade route no where near the grandstands and buy a few drinks every so often to allow you the use of the bathrooms. If bathrooms are not a huge deal for you and you can make it a couple of hours, then I always enjoyed standing in the Neutral ground on Canal street where the streetcars and busses run. This area is closed off and the parade runs up one side of the street and down the other.

Because it has been three decades since I actually lived in New Orleans and my New Orleans Mardi Gras these days begins and ends with Endymion on the Saturday before Mardi Gras, I will let others respond. If you want the convenience of a viewing area, go for it. But it is not necessary.

A lot of times the neutral ground will have port-a-potties set up at different spots along the routes. This is what we often do, unless we have access to someone's home on or near the route who is giving a party.

I ride in Tucks on March 1, and although I have not ever used the grandstands I have attempted to throw to them during the parade and it is not easy. I don't think you will catch much up there. Whether or not that's important to you is up to you to say.

The advice about finding a restaurant or bar to set up in is good, but a lot of them will be crowded and the bathroom lines may be long.