What to do in Marseille?

kyan

I will be on a Western Mediterranean cruise (Royal Caribbean International - Liberty of the Seas) in June 2014. The ship is scheduled to dock in Marseille from 9 AM to 6 PM. Should I go on one of the ship's shore excursions or should I tour on my own?

If I go on one of the ship's shore excursions, I don't want to spend more than $100 per person on a shore excursion. RCI has the following shore excursions under $100 per person:

Aix-en-Provence - $59 per person, 5 hours

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=LB07M250&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=MR45&DestinationCode=

Cassis - $62 per person, 5 hours

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=LB07M250&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=MR46&DestinationCode=

Marseille City Tour - $69 per person, 4 hours

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=LB07M250&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=MR44&DestinationCode=

If I tour on my own, I don't want to take any cabs. Just public transportation (buses, subways, and trains). I should also mention a couple of things:

1. I am disabled. I can walk up to maybe half a mile on level surfaces, but anything longer than that would be really difficult for me. Steep hills would also be difficult for me. And I can stand for up to maybe half an hour, but having to stand any longer than that would be really difficult for me.

2. I like to sightsee and take photos, but I'm not that interested in seeing art exhibits or visiting art museums. I also don't like to use HOHO buses.

Should I go to Aix-en-Provence? What would there be that's a must see or that's interesting to do other than just stroll along the Cours Mirabeau?

Or should I just stay in Marseille? If I just stay in Marseille, what would there be that's a must see besides Notre Dame de la Garde and strolling around the Vieux Port area?

Also, has anyone gone on the City Tour Marseille?

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/what-to-do/visit-marseille/city-tour-marseille/

The City Tour Marseille is a 2-hour bus tour for 18 Euros per person and goes to the following places: Vieux Port, La Corniche, drop off at Notre Dame de la Garde, Castellane, Palais Longchamp, La Canebière, Le Panier, and return to le Vieux Port.

Should I take the City Tour Marseille or should I just take the Little Tourist Train? The Little Tourist Train is 8 Euros per person and goes to the following places: Old Port, the forts, the Corniche the Pharo, drop off at Notre-Dame de la Garde.

Also, does anyone know if there's an elevator from the bottom of Notre Dame de la Garde to the top of the stairs?

Thanks.

Here is what you could do if you want a Do-It-Yourself tour in Marseille.

First you will need to get from the port to the center of Marseille (where the Old Port is). That is quite a distance. If there is a shuttle from the cruiseline, I recommend you take that. If there is none and cabs are really out of the question, there is public transport. We used it, but it does involve some walking (about 10 min to the bus stop), usually some standing in the bus (they tend to be very crowded when a ship unloads) and you have to change buses once or twice.

Public bus (# 35) will drop you off at Joliet (a public transport hub) where you can change buses of take the metro to the Old Port (actually this is also where you can take the metro to the train station for Aix). We walked from Joliet to the Old Port (about 30 minutes). You will also see the beautiful cathedral and end up at Fort St Jean. From there you will have a nice view of the Old Port. But you can also take the public bus.

Once in the Old Port you could take the petit Train. We didn't. There was an hour long line end the cars seemed not very comfortable (actually the Petit Train looks a bit silly). Instead we took public bus #60 up to Notre Dame de la Garde. This bus will also be crowded but this bus starts at the Fort St Jean. You'll be the first one on and probably can sit all the way up. If I recall correctly the Notre Dame de la Garde does have an elevator, actually a quite new one. Down from Notre Dame de la Garde we used public bus #60 again.

Afterwards you can check out the Old Port. Close to the old port, in Le Panier quarter, is the Hospice de la Veille Charite. Really beautiful. But Le Panier is an old quarter and not all that flat so you might be challenged there. The Petit Train runs two routes in Marseille (one up Notre Dame and the other one in Le Panier). You might consider taking public transport up to Notre Dame de la Garde and the Petit Train in Le Panier...

Back to the ship is the above in reverse (and yes, walk again 10 min from the bus stop to the ship). So in Marseille you will be able to use public transport, but it will involve some walking and changing buses. If you want to take it easy / be on the safe side, you might consider the City Tour (but you still will have to get to Joliet of Old Port) of course which is the hardest part of the trip. You really should find out if your cruiseline offers a shuttle...

I also hear great things about the islands just off the Marseille coast. There is a boat going there from the Old Port. Perhaps a nice alternative and a boat ride will involve less walking.

You can also post your question here....it's a forum for disabled cruisers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Some people with disabilities who have ported in Marseille might be able to tell you their experiences.

Also, I notice that you are new to Cruise Critic. You might find the roll call for your cruise and see if some people have planned "easy-go" private excursions (Go to the roll call forum section, look for Royal Caribbean roll calls, find your ship and then look to see if someone has set up a thread for your date.)

Aix is most enjoyed if you can walk around and explore, find the squares and fountains. That said, settling for a nice lunch on Cours Mirabeau would be lovely - and with a short walk that might fit the bill.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if I were you I would do a city tour thru the ship. They give a nice overview & the port area there is a bit confusing to do on your own. You may be a more seasoned traveler than I am but I would not want to do it on my own. We took a tour to Avignon that I loved but it did require lots of walking in town. The tour guide did give the option of walking around on your own or....sitting on a park bench & taking in the city thru people watching. The bus route was beautiful & went thru fields of lavender & sunflowers.

I will be on a Western Mediterranean cruise (Royal Caribbean International - Liberty of the Seas) in June 2014. The ship is scheduled to dock in Marseille from 9 AM to 6 PM. Should I go on one of the ship's shore excursions or should I tour on my own?

Or should I just stay in Marseille? If I just stay in Marseille, what would there be that's a must see besides Notre Dame de la Garde and strolling around the Vieux Port area?

Also, has anyone gone on the City Tour Marseille?

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/what-to-do/visit-marseille/city-tour-marseille/

The City Tour Marseille is a 2-hour bus tour for 18 Euros per person and goes to the following places: Vieux Port, La Corniche, drop off at Notre Dame de la Garde, Castellane, Palais Longchamp, La Canebière, Le Panier, and return to le Vieux Port.

Should I take the City Tour Marseille or should I just take the Little Tourist Train? The Little Tourist Train is 8 Euros per person and goes to the following places: Old Port, the forts, the Corniche the Pharo, drop off at Notre-Dame de la Garde.

Thanks.

In case it helps or gives you some ideas, we did this from a half-day in Marseille

We would have done more but the weather closed in at around 2.30

Our ship (Marina) provided a free shuttle for the 4 mile/15 minute ride to the Old Port area. It dropped us at the Centre Bourse, from where you walk almost straight ahead into the Old Port - maybe 100 yards ?

From there, as you look ahead to the Notre Dame de la Garde, high on hill in the distance, the Quai du Port, on your right with the Hotel de Ville, is the Petit Train's departure point. It's about 2/3 of the way down that side of the marina. Get your ticket there (€8 pp) from the booth. Trains leave every half hour or so so if you just miss one you can spend time walking around the marina - check out the fish market on Quai des Belges, near the metro station and the famous mirrored shelter and/or the Fort St Jean.

The 'train' takes about 25 minutes to get to and from the ND de la G, and you'll want about 30-40 minutes up there. I though the whole thing was great - you get a decent commentary on the train and the basilica itself is amazing. On the lift, there was one I took to the restrooms, so that may go a floor higher to the entrance level of the basilica, but if you look at the vid at 2.00 you'll see there are steps up to that level - hopefully there is an easier access, and someone else will post about it here. All the best, Tony

All the best, Tony

New lifts (elevators) were installed at Notre Dame last year -- they serve all levels.

Marseille is a hilly city to walk around, so for you it's probably best to take the petit train (Little Tourist Train). This runs along two routes in central Marseille during the summer: one goes through the Old Town and the other goes up to Notre Dame de la Garde, which is on the other side of the Old Port.

In both cases the train makes one stop (either at the Vieille Charite in the Old Town or, on the other route, at Notre Dame). You can get off, look round and take a later train back.

Marseille's public transport system has not scored well for disabled access on the national chart comparisons. The metro (subway) in particular is very poor in this regard. The (newer) trams are better). The tourist trains claim to be equipped for disabled access.

See here for what to see in Marseille and how to get around by public transport: http://www.marvellous-provence.com/marseille

What about a private driver? Often it's less than a ship's tour and the drivers are fabulous about knowing how to get you in and around without the walking. You also have the advantage of being able to decide what it is that you want to see and they work at your pace.