Costa club Members check out non club members proces before booking

AmoMondo

Just booked today for the Costa Fortuna next month via UK website. I logged in and it automatically populated my Cost club membership before quoting the price. I almost booked at this point but decided to check out MSC first. When I went back to the Costa site, I forgot to login before getting proces for both an inside and a balcony. I was really surprised that the Costa club proce was around 50% more than the non members price!

I called Costs to find out what was going on and was told there was a special promotion on the cruise which you could not use with a Costa club discount. They advised me to book saying I wasn't a member to just getbthe special promotional proce and then later add my Club details on so I'd get the points for on boards spend and night onboard.

Just thought I'd share this in case there are other Costa club members out there who were not aware that on some occasions the non club members prices are better than club members prices.

Got a great deal, so am happy to be getting a break away. I do find the club perks strange though. With MSC I always get the club discount off whatever the fare is, promotional or not.

HAL does the same with some of their cruises. I was considering a 28-day Indonesia & Far East cruise and shocked to find someone who had never sailed with them could book it for $1000 less than a Mariner Society member. What really bugs me about this is, at every step in the booking process one is encouraged to "Sign In - You May Qualify For Special Prices". What they don't tell you is 'Special' really means higher, and they are preying on people's ignorance/naivety... and the website is plastered with 'ethics' logos.

On a somewhat related note -

Did you know there can be dramatic price differences between Costa's different regional websites? -

Booked on the Asia/Pacific site with the single supplement, my Cat. BP, 11-day W Med. cruise on the Fascinosa is almost $1000 less than on the Americas site; and my Cat. IP, 12-day E Med. on the neoRomantica is about $800 less!

Edited by Bill B

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found the same thing.

Thinking of booking the Victoria for Christmas 2014 in Asia.

Premium Balcony Cabin for 2 people

Member price: $4961 AUD

Non Member Price: $3658 AUD

These are just proces from the Costa site. Giong to get my TA to quote as well- the price from the TA includes service charge so will see what that comes back as.

Thanks quite a difference too. Mine was around £690 compared to £430.

From what Bill was saying above may well be a carnival strategy but really unfair of them to deceive their club members like this. I get it that on some special promos they are not prepared to also allow a club discount but they should display both options when you log in.

Bet lots of people get deceived by this and it's not like you are getting a slightly different product with the better fare like you do with hotel rates where the cheapest have no flexibility and no refunds. With Costa it is the exact same cabin and the exact same cruise!

I don't think it has anthing to do with Carnival Corporation because Princess doesn't do it - a 'Captain's Circle' member will always get the same, or lower, pricing than someone who has never sailed with them. It's never higher!