jamaica safety and luminous lagoon

firstalaskatrip

Hi - considering a trip to jamaica (specifically hilton rose hall), and I'm wondering about safety. Some posts I've read give the impression that safety is a big problem in Jamaica. Most of my vacation would likely be spent at the resort, but I'm wondering how safe excursions around the island are. Specifically - going to see the luminous lagoon on a tour at night - have there been any safety issues associated with this?

Hi - considering a trip to jamaica (specifically hilton rose hall), and I'm wondering about safety. Some posts I've read give the impression that safety is a big problem in Jamaica. Most of my vacation would likely be spent at the resort, but I'm wondering how safe excursions around the island are. Specifically - going to see the luminous lagoon on a tour at night - have there been any safety issues associated with this?

I assume you are doing a land vacation. For this you are going to prearrange a tour guide that will make it possible. At home or away, I am very careful where I go after dark. You know what they say, the freaks come out at night.

If possible do this excursion as close to a new moon as possible. Millions of people using an ounce of common sense, have done fine in the tourist areas.

1. Don't go wandering off by yourself

2. Be mindful of your surrounding

3. Don't appear of the cared tourist afraid of your shadow and poor black people

4. Done go winging things, have a plan

5. Don't say No thank you. Its No if you don't want it for Thank you meaning yes if you do. The no thank you can be read too many ways.

6. Don't smoke, ok don't get offended by the present of weed.

7. Ignore the men since they think you are there for them

8. Don't do anything to pizz off the women

9. If you go to Dunn's River Falls use the entrance to exit the falls

10. Stay away from the craft market unless you have the patience of a Saint.

no. most of the people who bring up safety issue always fall back on "they don't feel safe". When we confront them they can't give any instant when somebody attack them or stolen from them. luminous lagoon is in Falmouth which is a very low crime area so you will be just fine. There are more than 3 million tourists who go to jamaica each year and you probably have around 5 to 10 murder per year which make Jamaica safer for american than any city in the USA. The reason for that is neither the criminals or law abiding Jamaicans have any interest in killing you. Criminals needs tourist too to sell them drugs and all sort of things. Killing their clients would be counter productive.

Just remember few things from a Jamaica perspective.

1. If a Jamaican is talking to you its polite to talk back to them. If you don,t answer him then he or she would determine what you mean by not saying anything. That's the reason why venders get more aggressive in trying to sell you stuff and you don't say anything because that person thinks you are on the fence in trying to make a purchase. Also some Jamaica will feel disrespected if you don't say back something.

2. Most Jamaican looks out for Tourist so remember the more Jamaicans you see is the safer you will be. I know its may annoy you when a lot of Jamaicans try to offer you service but been in a crowded area is much safer than doing business with someone in a isolated area.