Documentation for minor children

kdog126

Assuming you are a US citizen you just need birth certificates - the official ones with the raised seal.

A lot of people will tell you to get passports, but you really only need to birth certificates. Passports help if for some reason you need to get home mid-cruise.

Also if the parent names are different on the certificates than those traveling with the kids you need a notarized letter from the other parent saying it's ok to take them out of the country. (For example if you are traveling alone with the kids or are traveling with a friend/sister/brother/grandparent/new spouse & their name isn't on the birth certificate you need the other parent to write a letter so you can show it to the agent and be allowed out of the country. They don't always ask for it, but it's better to be safe than sorry)

Edited by hansolosmom

Would their school ID work?

No.

The minimum requirement for a closed loop cruise for US citizens is a birth certificate and (for those 16 and over) a government issued photo ID.

That's it.

No school ID.

It's needed to confirm US citizenship. School IDs don't do that.

OP - what time does the cruise leave? And from where? Are you in the county/state where the children were born? Many registrars can issue a certified copy of the birth certificate on the same day. Possibly you can be there when they open?

Edited by Shmoo here

If you don't have the birth certificates, you won't be boarding the ship and you won't get a refund.

A school ID is totally useless. The reason for the birth certificate is to establish country of citizenship, and a school ID does not do that.

OP, didn't you read your cruise documents? The most important thing about going on a cruise is to have all your documents, and if you don't, there's no cruise. Not only do the kids need birth certificates, but all the adults too.

I know...total screw up on my part. Thought I had it and didn't check. Kicking the **** out of myself. Cruise leaves at 5. Do you think I will have time to pick it up on Monday morning and fly into Miami? The office opens at 8:30 and there is a flight that leaves at 10:30...arriving in Miami at 2:30. Boat leaves at 5. How strict are they on the 2 hour boarding time?

We have passports for our kids. I dread if anything were to happen and not being able to fly everyone home, I think you need a passport or an enhanced ID to fly into the US from anywhere but only a BC on a closed loop tour, if you live in a state that has enhanced ID you could also get one of those cheaper and quicker than a passport just a non driving me for the children, we got my son a state ID prior to the passport.

Yeah...that is the plan. Get there before they open, be first in line. But if I get to Miami 2:30-3:00 will I have time to make it to the boat? What if I get there at 4-4:30 will they let me board?

How far is the dock from the airport?

I haven't done the trip from airport to port in Miami, but I've read that it's not far, maybe 10 miles.

I don't know how strict the boarding time closing time is, but, if it were me, I'd be calling the cruiseline as I stand in line for the registrars office to open, again on the way to the airport and as soon as I land in Miami letting them know I'm on the way.

It may be doable.

I feel so damn stupid...there was no excuse for this. I have been of work since last week Friday. Now I have to waste $400 on a flight then hope and pray I can make it on time.

Damn what an idiot...I let my family down.

You HAVE to be aboard the ship 90 minutes before it leaves due to the cruise line having to submit a final passenger list to the port officials so no leeway there. So the latest you could board is 3:30.

Since I haven't flown anywhere since 2004, I don't know how strict they are about getting there 2hours prior. And I don't know how far the pier is from the airport or the possible traffic conditions on a Monday afternoon.

Yeah...that is the plan. Get there before they open, be first in line. But if I get to Miami 2:30-3:00 will I have time to make it to the boat? What if I get there at 4-4:30 will they let me board?
Edited by happybooker1

That gives me a little time...the port is only 10 miles from airport. Hoping and praying for no delays.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens (after you get back).:)

ETA: Just a thought - when was the last time you needed the kids birth certificates? Where would you have put them then? You have a couple of days to tear the house apart. ;)

Edited by Shmoo here

You can try to see if the vital statistics website can overnight it to you too ... I'm not sure if they can so that from Saturday maybe by chance you'll get it before flight leaves, what time does your flight leave ?? Also call your cruise line and ask them what options you have at this late notice, maybe they know of a way as you are not the first person to be in this situation

Good luck, and please let us know what happens (after you get back).:)

ETA: Just a thought - when was the last time you needed the kids birth certificates? Where would you have put them then? You have a couple of days to tear the house apart. ;)

I like this idea tear the house apart. Although I has a passport I misplaced my drivers licensee and my eyeglasses the night before our last cruise. I stayed up and tore the house part but left empty handed, when unloading the car at port I see the both must have slipped out of my handbag the day before and were between the passenger set and the car door.

You probably have thier birth certificates somewhere

I know I have them somewhere...will be up all night looking...tomorrow as well. Found out that the registrar opens at 8:00. There is a flight that leaves at 9:50 and arrives in "Ft. Lauderdale" at 1:45. The other flight leaves at 10:30 and arrives in Miami at 2:30. The port is 20 minutes from MIA and 40 min FLL. What flight should I take?

I know I have them somewhere...will be up all night looking...tomorrow as well. Found out that the registrar opens at 8:00. There is a flight that leaves at 9:50 and arrives in "Ft. Lauderdale" at 1:45. The other flight leaves at 10:30 and arrives in Miami at 2:30. The port is 20 minutes from MIA and 40 min FLL. What flight should I take?

I would look online and see if there is any road construction on i95 , it's a tough call as if you get behind an accident on i95, it's a work say but not rush hour. What time does your ship leave ? I'd be begging everyone at the registrars office to take you first and rush it,

I'll tell you one thing if you pull this off you'll breathe such a huge sigh of relief when you walk on that boat your bound to have a very relaxing time

What line are you sailing ? I'd call them too. Many lines have emergency numbers to call if you are running late for boarding, make sure you do all your check in too when you call them , what credit card you are using ,passport numbers. Etc for adults etc, so check in will be on a few moments, maybe also you could prearrange a car service to be waiting for you at airport so you don't wage time searching for a taxi.

I would look online and see if there is any road construction on i95 , it's a tough call as if you get behind an accident on i95, it's a work say but not rush hour. What time does your ship leave ? I'd be begging everyone at the registrars office to take you first and rush it,

I'll tell you one thing if you pull this off you'll breathe such a huge sigh of relief when you walk on that boat your bound to have a very relaxing time

What line are you sailing ? I'd call them too. Many lines have emergency numbers to call if you are running late for boarding, make sure you do all your check in too when you call them , what credit card you are using ,passport numbers. Etc for adults etc, so check in will be on a few moments, maybe also you could prearrange a car service to be waiting for you at airport so you don't wage time searching for a taxi.

Those are all great ideas...I have arranged for a car to take me to the registrar on Monday, he will wait for me and take me to the airport. Sending wife and kids to Miami on Sunday along with my luggage (that way everything will be there and I won't have to worry). I have my wife and I passport. Primarily using American Express. I have already checked everyone in...my plan is to have to go to the port and wait. My wife can try and let them know I am en route. Not much I can do about traffic...hoping an praying that there are no delays (in the air or ground). We are sailing on Norwegian. I will look for the emergency number and keep it on speed dial. Will call them while in the line at the registrar, on way to airport and when I land in Miami.

May I feel like such an ass...had months to take care of this and let the time slip away for no good reason.

My fallback plan is to vacation in the Keys instead, but all of the hotels are booked.

Praying that God bails me out once again.

IF you find them, you won't have to change any plans. When was your flight originally scheduled for? Some time earlier Monday morning?

How much time will you spend looking before you give up? I would hate to see you not find them and then not be able to get a seat (seats) on a different (later?) flight after you get new birth certificates.

The flight into FLL arrives 40 minutes earlier. Earlier is better, but FLL is farther away from Port of Miami. People more experienced with that route can say if it's more or less than 40 minutes farther. Though personally, I would lean towards the flight to FLL.

Anyway, I really hope you actually find the documentation you need. Then it will all be moot. You'll breathe a sigh of relief, be able to laugh about it, and go on your merry way like nothing was ever wrong.