Walking to Pan Am Pier for embarkation: Great!

epixx

We just returned from the Celebrity Summit and had a great (!) walk to the Pan Am Pier for embarkation. We arrived the previous day and spent one night at La Concha. When we checked in, the receptionist inquired as to whether we were departing on a cruise. In response to our reply that we would be embarking on the Celebrity Summit, she handed us a paper with information stating that the following morning we should bring our luggage to the bellhop, who would be collecting luggage for Celebrity to pick up and bring to our staterooms. I was very surprised, as I did not know that Celebrity offered this service.

The following morning we did as directed, but we kept a small bag with swimsuits and change of clothing. After about an hour at the beach, we changed into dry clothing and decided to walk to the pier, as we did not have any significant luggage to tote. Contrary to what I had read on this website, we thought that the walk was lovely. It was a completely flat walk, and the weather was extremely pleasant. There was also much to look at, as we crossed the bridge from the Condado area and then passed close to the small air strip across from Pan Am Pier. The walk took about 30 minutes, but the additional benefit came at the pier, where there was a separate and significantly shorter line for people embarking without luggage. Our luggage arrived at our staterooms a couple of hours later.

All in all, we found the embarkation to be one of the most pleasant in all of our cruises. I recommend that other cruisers consider walking from the Condado hotels to the Pan Am Pier, especially if the cruise line picks up luggage at their hotels.

Do you happen to know where such a list of hotels could be found? That was a nice surprise for you! Seriously considering this cruise for next November (combined with a week on the island and Vieques).

No; I don't know where one would find a list of those hotels, because you're correct that we didn't even know that our hotel was included. Yes; it really was a nice surprise because we generally love to walk. Have a great trip, if you go.

I have also walked from the Pan-Am to Old San Juan. I found it hot but hardly challenging; it is flat. There are some defunct-looking buildings in the city, but on the Pan-Am side you are right next to the yacht basin, so it's reasonably pleasant.

I am often reluctant to answer questions as to whether x trip is "walkable", because people's attitudes to exercise vary so widely. I have taken walks which others have described as impossible, unthinkable, ghastly. I think a lot of people are just lazy. (Don't tell anyone I said so).

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Sheraton convention center hotel last year and had the transfer from the hotel to the ship. We took our bags down at the time for them and were told pick up for us was like 1 or 2 don't remember we left our bags to be taken and took a taxi to the ship in the pan am pier. We were told you couldn't walk up to the pier or would have don't that. I was actually the first person on the ship! planning to this again in march.....can you tell me when you did this? I would rather walk than pay the taxi for a drive up the short street

We stayed at the Sheraton convention center hotel last year and had the transfer from the hotel to the ship. We took our bags down at the time for them and were told pick up for us was like 1 or 2 don't remember we left our bags to be taken and took a taxi to the ship in the pan am pier. We were told you couldn't walk up to the pier or would have don't that. I was actually the first person on the ship! planning to this again in march.....can you tell me when you did this? I would rather walk than pay the taxi for a drive up the short street

It very much depends on where you are starting from.

But I might even walk from the Convention Sheraton WITH my luggage. That one is pretty close.

Edited by alfaeric

I have also walked from the Pan-Am to Old San Juan. I found it hot but hardly challenging; it is flat. There are some defunct-looking buildings in the city, but on the Pan-Am side you are right next to the yacht basin, so it's reasonably pleasant.

I am often reluctant to answer questions as to whether x trip is "walkable", because people's attitudes to exercise vary so widely. I have taken walks which others have described as impossible, unthinkable, ghastly. I think a lot of people are just lazy. (Don't tell anyone I said so).

Your screen name is even more funny and ironic after this post. :)