Sail away rituals

Halehuaka_i

• 7 months later...

Hear is a ritual that used to be done by a ship.

When QE2 would depart Ft. Lauderdale on her World or Christmas cruises she would sail by a very nice home on the port side of the ship as she approached open water. The home had a very tall flagpole and was owned by the long retired head steward of Queen Marry. He obviously was left considerable money by some of the wealthy passengers he took care of during all those years on Queen Mary before retiring from Cunard.

As QE2 passed his home she blew a long blast from her whistle in salute as she dipped her colors (lowered and raised her flag). Dressed in his old Cunard uniform the retired and aging head steward had a helper dip the colors on his very tall flag pole as he hand saluted back. Then and only then all the condos on the way out to sea would break into uproarious applause and wave British and US flags and blow hand held air horns. You can't make this stuff up.

I experienced this 'tradition' several times sailing aboard QE2 and would always try to find a few first time cruisers and ask them to follow me as I explained what they were about to see. Many with wet eyes and almost reverently quiet would look over to me and just smile.

• 2 weeks later...