October 6 Western Allure Review

I'm ashamed that I haven't sat down and written up my impressions of our October 6 Western Allure cruise until now. I know how much I relied on those who shared their experiences here in planning our cruise. So please excuse my tardiness and feel free to ask any questions.

Background

DH and I (late 50 and early 60 Baby Boomers) very much enjoyed our October 6 Western Caribbean Allure cruise. We would love to cruise another Oasis-size ship to see different shows and entertainment as well as the venues we missed on this trip because there was just not enough time to experience it all.

We have done previous cruises on the RCI Majesty, Explorer and Freedom to the Caribbean and a btb Alaskan cruise on the HAL Zaandam.

On this cruise we had a Boardwalk View cabin with a balcony on Deck 11 just four doors down from the aft near a secret balcony where we could see the wake, Aqua Theater entertainment and movie screen from a chaise lounge as well as from our room. It was interesting to watch people passing below or doing the zip line from above your room yet it was always quiet by about 11 pm each night.

We stayed pre-cruise at the Renaissance which was a great place to watch the Oasis and other ships leave port late on Saturday afternoon. The location is within easy walking distance to stores and many affordable restaurants so you don’t need a car. You can pick up last minute items at a drug store, 99 Cent Store, discount clothing store, grocery and a wine shop.

On our return we stayed Sunday night at the Best Western Plus Oceanside just steps away from the beach at a great price. They had a free hot breakfast with pancakes, eggs, sausage and fresh fruit. There was a trolley and bus that stopped in front of the hotel making it easy to go out to dinner or shop.

But the best of all was the Allure itself. We loved the ship’s neighborhood concept, friendly staff, much improved RCI menu, fellow passengers, and the numerous choices available for recreation, relaxation, and entertainment at any and all times of the day.

Pros

Just about everything. Getting on and off the ship was easy. We never experienced any real problem with crowds or waiting for elevators. The choices were so numerous and well spaced around the ship that every day was a new adventure.

We loved the shows, especially Ocean Aria, the comedy club and Chicago. The staff was one of the friendliest bunch of people I’ve ever met at sea. From the waiters to cabin stewards to the performers and officers, everyone went out of their way to talk with you and offer assistance if needed. You can’t feel anything but pampered…even with 6,000 other passengers onboard. :)

We enjoyed lunch the first day at Giovanni’s Table and dinners at Chops, Samba’s Grill and the Rita’s Cantina Fiesta. The food and service in the main dining room was so good that we were sorry we didn’t dine there every evening with the MTD plan which we had chosen. But one doesn’t want to miss out on trying a few of the smaller more intimate specialty restaurants as they are so great.

Best food and drink were the lamb chops at Sambas, steak at Chops, appetizers and margaritas at Rita’s Fiesta, chopped salad in MDR at lunch, rum raisin cookie bars at the Café Promenade, chicken entrée and antipasto at Giovanni’s and every entrée we tried in the MDR for dinner. All the deserts were above par which hasn’t always been the case with RCI.

I didn’t think I would like the walking/running track but it was great. You didn’t have to go up and down stairs as on the Voyager and Freedom class and got plenty of views of the ocean. The two flow riders, climbing walls, zip line and sporting competitions offered hours of entertainment whether you participated or watched.

Central Park and the pool deck were beautiful at night with the soft colorful lighting, cool breezes and gentle varied music. At least one pool and hot tub was available 24 hours a day. The Royal Promenade offered so many music choices, bars, stores, and restaurants for when you wanted to be in the middle of the action.

The rest of the ship offered equally interesting opportunities to eat, play or people watch. We spent far more time on the Boardwalk than we thought we would. Its Aqua Theater, wake views from the aft of the ship, merry-go-round, special events and casual eateries were fun for cruisers of all ages.

Cons

We had a RCI shore excursion that was cancelled a week before we departed making us scramble to find a replacement. Others told us that they had experienced a similar problem. :(

While we loved all the beaches at each port, we found Labadie to be very hot and humid and Falmouth a challenge to book an activity. The Jamaican port is far away from many places you’d like to see and necessitated a long bus or van ride to get to them. I hope some new ports can be added to the Western itinerary in the future.

We never got to use the Solarium pool or its bistro eatery, Rising Tide bar, Isumi and so many other things that were on our Must Do list like the Jazz Club and Boleros. There were just too many things to do on one cruise. Once on board, you quickly learned that while it’s a good idea to have a general activity plan in mind you need to be open to being spontaneous as new opportunities present themselves.

There were so many parties, parades, sports, games and music venues to enjoy that you can wear yourself out very easily. You need time to relax by making impromptu decisions to forgo some things to simply rest and quietly enjoy looking out to sea. If you don’t have a balcony room, use the poor deck or one of the secret balconies.

We found the timing of shows often didn’t work well with the dinner arrangement we had made. You sometimes had to choose between whether you wanted to linger over an excellent meal and conversation with table mates or leave early to insure good seats at a show. But that’s not really a bad thing, is it? How can you ever feel bored? :rolleyes:

I never expected this to be a problem, but my husband is afraid of heights and didn't enjoy using our Boardwalk balcony because of it. A sea view balcony or Promenade room view doesn't bother him but looking down from this balcony to the activities below did. As we had the secret balcony so close, it wasn't any big deal. :confused:

Tips

Don’t feel you need to take photos of everything on ship unless you are an avid photographer. There are so many excellent photos posted by others on CC which you can share with family and friends giving you the freedom to just enjoy the ship without documenting every space and activity. Instead, ask the staff or a nearby passenger to take photos of you and the people with whom you are enjoying an activity. Life is all about the friends and memories you make.

Unless you drink lots of soda, wine or alcohol there is no need to buy a beverage package. There are always free alcoholic drinks available at C&A events or cocktail specials in lounges. You can also bring on board two bottles of wine, as well as soda or water, but it’s not necessary.

The Park Cafe, Café Promenade, Wipe Out Café, Vitality Café or Windjammer buffet have free beverages with one or another available from breakfast till late evening. Bring a thermos-type drinking bottle and ask the staff to fill it for you with lemonade, ice tea, flavored water, or coffee.

The specialty restaurants offered outstanding service and food in a smaller, more intimate atmosphere. Try at least one to give yourself a change of pace. Several are open at lunch on sea days at a lower price than at dinner including departure day.

Go to activities where you participate with others like dance classes, trivia, sports competitions or parties. We met so many fun and interesting people from all around the world this way. Do the things you like but also try doing something new too. You will be glad you did.

To maintain a balance, try to do some sort of exercise and eat at least one reasonable meal a day. And please go ahead and read or take a nap by the pool or in your cabin to feel refreshed for later. All these are part of what makes a vacation feel like a vacation, too.

And do try to “let yourself go” on occasion, sing/dance along with the music, or simply act like a kid again when the opportunity presents itself. As the CD said, you aren’t going to be seeing any of these people again…unless you are traveling with family who already know all those silly things about you already. :cool:

Summary

The weather was great, passengers congenial, cabins comfortable and staff attentive. The ship more than offers something for everyone. It’s easy to see why so many people book btb cruises on the Allure if they can afford it. There were so many fun things to do and not enough time to do them all in seven days. But how can that be seen as a bad thing? :)

Don't hesitate to book this ship. It's a great value for the quality and fantastic product RCI offers. We booked during a sale and later got a nice upgrade about a month out. Keep a close eye on fares and join your roll call on CC. Now that newer ships and the Quantum class is going to be launched soon, there should be many opportunities to experience this size ship at a much more affordable price than in the past.